Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 286318 times)

dwarfkoala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #165 on: May 19, 2012, 03:11:29 pm »

I'm requesting an FPS friendly map.
A place with either an aquifer or a river
flux, many metals, both shallow and deep, sand
Flatish, 1 cavern layer, less than 75 layers between highest layer and lowest layer

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 20, 2012, 06:41:02 am »

Flatish, 1 cavern layer, less than 75 layers between highest layer and lowest layer

FPS-friendly =/= river

You'll have to be happy with a stream or minor river (at max) - I'd recommend going with an aquifer.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 22, 2012, 10:55:36 am »

So basically an embark location with:

Major River
Small River
4z tall Waterfall

Flat Volcano
Heavily Forested
Plenty of Sand
Plenty of Minerals
Untamed Wild

All Races Present

Mods (tampered with raws)
  - Added Human Liaison
  - Added Orcs
  - Changed Pasture Requirements
  - Changed Siege Requirements
  - Removed Aquifiers
  - Removed Excess Clothing from Enemies

Running on Mac so I don't have any particular knowledge on the accurate mineral accounts. Been looking for such a nice embark for ages! Beware though, the Waterfall kinda eats your FPS!

DOWNLOAD WORLD:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6365

Enjoy! (and dedicate some dwarves to me aight?!)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 10:59:24 am by HraTaika »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #168 on: May 22, 2012, 11:29:00 am »

:o Just what I wanted. Thank you. ;D

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 22, 2012, 07:39:45 pm »

Ok, I'm very close. I lowered min drainage and rainfall in order to get more sand, and cranked up variance for both to 1000 to get more regions with close proximity of the two. I can now reliably get sand/clay in the same 4x4. Getting trees, volcano, and river in there as well is just a matter of time.
Since your request is similar to my own preferences, could I take a look at your modified settings as they sit now? I'm restarting in .10, and I'd like to take a stab with your site settings to start, while looking for +iron. As far as I can see, that's really the only important difference. (I don't need the flowing water, but I don't mind it. I prefer a (partial!) aquifer.)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 23, 2012, 02:06:49 pm »

Here's the specific seed and worldgen settings that I'm using.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I mostly chunked around with the drainage/rainfall settings from what vjek sent me. He had too much rainfall/drainage to create deserts, and with sand not a searchable item in the map prospector, I didn't want to have to embark a zillion times, reveal for sand, abandon, repeat. I also did the site cap and civ changes that he suggested. I turned the beasts back up, and the temp down because I hate scorching maps, and half his world was scorching and I adjusted the cavern settings a bit because I'm after a fairly specific layout. I haven't revealed the specific site that I've chosen, but some of the ones I abandoned on this map looked just right. There's basically only one region tile here that meets all of my criteria, so if it doesn't work out, I'm regenning worlds. Oh, I also cranked up the embark points because of the story, so you might want to reset that. I disabled all aquifers in my raws so I don't know how things make out for that - aquifer would have complicated the story more than I needed. It's hard enough already.

I really like these parameters overall. They give a nice variety to choose from.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 23, 2012, 06:55:06 pm »

Yarr, regarding temperature, I never go above 85 now, typically a range of 75-85 to avoid glaciers, but no "everyone is dying due to fat melting" hotness. :P  I learned my lesson!

dwarfkoala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 25, 2012, 08:09:46 pm »

when I said river, i meant brook, sorry  :-[

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 25, 2012, 10:00:40 pm »

Found the following:

Whole 4x4 embark is 66 layers, top to bottom.
Has a stream, not a river.
Has flux, lead, copper, gold, silver, and sand.

However, your desire for flux would seem to indicate you want iron for steel.  So do you want iron + others, or is just lead, copper, gold, silver fine?

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 29, 2012, 01:45:04 pm »

So, I'm looking for the values that make up the "quick start" options, or best approximate them in advanced worldgen. Any advice? I  haven't seen anything about a way to extract worldgen info from an existing saved world, but I supose that would be the ideal if possible...

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2012, 02:19:49 pm »

So, I'm looking for the values that make up the "quick start" options, or best approximate them in advanced worldgen. Any advice? I  haven't seen anything about a way to extract worldgen info from an existing saved world, but I supose that would be the ideal if possible...
Create your world.  Start up in Legends mode, press 'p' to export, copy/paste the newly-created-worldgen file contents into your main worldgen file.  Voila!

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 29, 2012, 02:37:28 pm »

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

NotErich

• Bay Watcher
  • The Judge of Paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 01, 2012, 06:20:24 pm »

I'd like to pitch a request (somewhat revised from an unanswered request earlier) that can get me a 7x7ish embark with a major river, ocean, and volcano. Good biome, with at least shallow and deep metal. If I could get a mix between sedimentary and igneous, it'd be nice, but it's fine if it is not.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 02, 2012, 01:54:07 pm »

Here's a somewhat interesting embark I found.  I was looking for a map that would have some sea cliffs, but the closest I found was a desert shore near a volcano.  The only other alternatives were some glacial islands down in the southern sea, but meh, islands.

Spoiler: Worldgen (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: embark (click to show/hide)

This one could be fun.  There's a ton of magnetite under the ocean, but there's also several aquifers on the map going down 3 z-levels. They all merge into a big one about 4 or 5 levels down.  There's a small spot in the south of the map where you can dig safely though.  And for added !!FUN!! the first level of magnetite deposits, 12 clusters of them, are right underneath the aquifer.  This isn't quite on the volcano, but magma isn't hard to come by, there's a pipe that extends up to the bottom of the first cavern, which isn't too far down.  And there's tons of gold too.

Spoiler: Prospector report (click to show/hide)

NotErich, this isn't exactly what you were looking for, but if you expand the embark square to 7x7, and put the volcano in the southwest corner, you'll just be able to overlap the volcano and a part of the ocean itself to the northeast.  You'll have some amound of beach to work with.  The ocean but not the desert is good aligned.  And there is a mix of sedimentary and igneous with the setup, though much more is igneous.  Still, you'll have magnetite, coal, and about 100k gold.

Edit: regenned the world in 34.10 and the ocean on the map is no longer good aligned.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 02:13:05 pm by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

NotErich

• Bay Watcher
  • The Judge of Paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 02, 2012, 03:21:13 pm »

That will be good enough; I can toy around with the world gen and see what I can get. If anything, it shows the potential to get what I need. Thank you, good sir!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 62