Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 287302 times)

oasis789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #510 on: March 22, 2013, 02:06:39 pm »

you can just tweak the history seed and regen a couple times to get a tower if you really want

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 22, 2013, 02:35:38 pm »

If anyone's interested, I just genned an incredible site on a pretty nice world.
Features:
-Goblins, elves, and humans as neighbors, but no tower.
-A brook with a small (3 z level I believe) natural waterfall.
-Ready access to wood, surface plants, and water (of course).
-Gold, kaolinite, sand, iron ore, tetrahedrite, and flux all on surface level.

If people sound interested, I'll get the prospector report and gen parameters.
Interested, too!
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 22, 2013, 04:48:48 pm »

I'd like to start experimenting with some more advanced features. If anyone has a site with:
<snip>

3x2 embark with:
terrifying temperate grassland, joyous wilds temperate shrubland, and terrifying freezing mountain
sand and clay
three caverns
soil
evil & good biomes
high savagery
one corner hill/mountain
the rest flat plains
aquifer, but smaller than half the embark
lots of metals
flux stone
a brook
NO volcano. Getting all of the above with a volcano is going to be very time consuming to find in a 2x2 or 3x2 embark size.
not saying it can't be done, and by all means go for it if you want, but I was able to get everything but the volcano pretty quickly.
If you just want the volcano for magma forges, two commands in DFHack will give you that on any embark with a Magma layer. (just sayin')
The evil in these biomes is harmless, as far as I can tell, just some raining blood.

Civilized World Population

648 Dwarves
   358 Elves
   16633 Goblins

Total: 17639

worldgen
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
prospect
embark location:

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 22, 2013, 07:09:58 pm »

Do extinct civs send migrants and caravans now?

Because I have a world with a single extinct dwarven civ and I'm getting those. :(
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 22, 2013, 07:20:38 pm »

vjek: The Xs on the location screen are a bit hard to spot. Just for everyone's benefit, they are lower left on world, and middle left on region.

Daetrin: Caravans shouldn't be sent by extinct civs, but you'll still get a minimum 2 migrant waves. If the civ is truly extinct, that will be the maximum, too, though.

Anyone who wants to answer:
I want an interesting world with a variety of duplicated raws, particularly some stone, interactions, and plants, that doesn't crash early on; Just zip up the save, as it will have the duped raws in it, and put it with the worldgen here, if you feel up to it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 07:23:38 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 22, 2013, 07:21:25 pm »

NO volcano. Getting all of the above with a volcano is going to be very time consuming to find in a 2x2 or 3x2 embark size.
not saying it can't be done, and by all means go for it if you want, but I was able to get everything but the volcano pretty quickly.
If you just want the volcano for magma forges, two commands in DFHack will give you that on any embark with a Magma layer. (just sayin')
The evil in these biomes is harmless, as far as I can tell, just some raining blood.

thanks

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 22, 2013, 07:56:21 pm »

Do extinct civs send migrants and caravans now?

Because I have a world with a single extinct dwarven civ and I'm getting those. :(
Yes, you'll always get the first two waves of migrants, plus liaison and caravans, even if the civ is extinct.  You can, however, disable them, by removing [ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN] from entity_default.txt (for dwarves) in your save.  That will prevent liaison visits and caravans.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 22, 2013, 07:59:39 pm »

vjek: The Xs on the location screen are a bit hard to spot. Just for everyone's benefit, they are lower left on world, and middle left on region.

Daetrin: Caravans shouldn't be sent by extinct civs, but you'll still get a minimum 2 migrant waves. If the civ is truly extinct, that will be the maximum, too, though.

Anyone who wants to answer:
I want an interesting world with a variety of duplicated raws, particularly some stone, interactions, and plants, that doesn't crash early on; Just zip up the save, as it will have the duped raws in it, and put it with the worldgen here, if you feel up to it.

Hnh.  According to legends my dwarf civ was defeated in 814 and yet I'm still getting caravans and multiple (3+) migrant waves.  Any thoughts?

Yes, you'll always get the first two waves of migrants, plus liaison and caravans, even if the civ is extinct.  You can, however, disable them, by removing [ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN] from entity_default.txt (for dwarves) in your save.  That will prevent liaison visits and caravans.

Hmm.  Doesn't explain the excess migrant waves but that's something I can do.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 08:14:16 pm by Daetrin »
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Irthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 23, 2013, 02:56:18 pm »

Good day to all!

I am looking for a rich, but challenging world gen, compatible with masterwork Dwarf Fortress with following featuring:

River not in the very corner of embark (to be a part of citadel)
A peak close to the center of the embark (to be worked into a natural tower, the higher the better)
A good supply of trees on flan surface (kick-starting economy with giant speart production)
A reasonably good supply of metal, flux and soil, if possible.
A good amount of neighbors (both friendly and neutral)
A wild surrounding with plenty of animals roaming (to be a challenge and pets)
A Volcano would be great, but not really needed as long as there is magma below
Clay (any sort)
No Aquifier (can be fixed anyway, right?)

Ultimate idea - a surefooted citadel in lush, but troublesome inviroment, built according to blueprints (2-d images ready for Quickfort, can add if there will be intrest), built in part above ground (around initial tower and river - possibly with houses)

So far I managed to gen a world with a river, peak, forest and civilizations, but there seems to be no ore or real trouble from the wilds apart from sieges

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 03:00:17 pm by Irthos »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 23, 2013, 05:19:08 pm »

What's the largest embark size you'll tolerate, Irthos? 3x3? 5x5? 4x2?

EDIT:

Also, these two requirements:
River not in the very corner of embark (to be a part of citadel)
A peak close to the center of the embark (to be worked into a natural tower, the higher the better)
are a bit contradictory.  That is, rivers through the middle of an embark and a mountain in the middle of the embark are typically mutually exclusive.
Would you settle for a river that starts and stops on opposite, rather than adjacent, embark edges?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 05:33:02 pm by vjek »

Irthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 23, 2013, 06:32:57 pm »

I would say 5x5, as I ran some fortresses earlier, and it was fine with up to 200 dwarfs with no screw pumps.

As of the river and peak - a peak I am looking for is about 15-20 squares circle at the bottom, reducing by 1-2 squares to the top, going up about 7-10 levels or more (a cone of sort). I managed to get some of these, but not the whole bunch together.
A way cooler option (my guess - also rare) a mountain/hill (about 50-70 squares at the bottom - less ok, bigger probably will be an issue design-wise) over the river, with river running some distance underground. I have seen some places like that, mostly when two rivers meet, but sadly with no savagery of needed level. Then a fortress can sit atop the mount, with walls circling it, a cool entrance directly into the side and the whole nine yards.

Nevertheless, if the river is not solely by the side or corner of the embark, it would be good too.

The idea is a tower overlooking a valley, with a bunch of bridges over the river (this is why brook is not that fun, anyone can cross it, so why pay taxes?). If a boook can be made into a river by channeling that would work too (have not researched the matter yet, just got the idea)

Edit:

If an embark is on a mountain, one can build Minas Tirith :)

Edit:

Fewer levels of peak seems also to work out.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 02:47:32 pm by Irthos »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 24, 2013, 07:38:37 pm »

So, Irthos, meeting these requirements is complicated by a few factors.  Personally, in 34.11, I've never seen an underground river generated in DF.  I've seen rivers that cut through mountains or hills, but never a river covered by terrain.  I admit they're possible, but I've never seen one.  In other words, all rivers I've seen have always had an open view to the sky.
As usual, finding a volcano within a few tiles of a river is also difficult.
And finally, finding an embark with lots of trees, but high elevation is also quite difficult, as mountain biomes have no trees.
So the competing factors are trees, volcano, deep river (not a brook), river not in the center, and high elevation, but in a small central area.
I wasn't able to find an embark that matched all of these, but what follows is as close as I'm willing to spend the time to find:

5x5 embark (you might be able to make it smaller)
untamed wilds - tropical moist broadleaf forest, wilderness - tropical savanna, wilderness - mountain
A stream running diagonally across the NE quadrant.
A large mountain/hill to the west/southwest.
Five civs
Clay
Iron bearing ore
Flux
An aquifer, but not the whole embark (and as you say, easy to drain if you wish)

Civilized World Population

214 Dwarves
   505 Humans
   401 Elves
   10128 Goblins
   168 Kobolds

Total: 11416

worldgen:
prospect:
embark location: (farthest south you can go, just west of center)

Irthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 24, 2013, 07:53:14 pm »

vjek, thank you very much for the embark! Will see if my blueprints will be good enough for the challenge provided. Just need to finish the plan of crypts, they might be needed...

EDIT - And I must apologize if I mislead you in a way by saying 'underground river". What you describe as a river cutting through the hill or mountain would fully fit my criteria.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:56:11 pm by Irthos »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 24, 2013, 08:09:47 pm »

Ah ok, well that makes things much easier.   I'll take another look with a "canyon river" in mind.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 25, 2013, 11:46:31 am »

If anyone's interested, I just genned an incredible site on a pretty nice world.
Features:
-Goblins, elves, and humans as neighbors, but no tower.
-A brook with a small (3 z level I believe) natural waterfall.
-Ready access to wood, surface plants, and water (of course).
-Gold, kaolinite, sand, iron ore, tetrahedrite, and flux all on surface level.

If people sound interested, I'll get the prospector report and gen parameters.

Posting the site now.

Here are the world gen parameters:
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 62