Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 287277 times)

JOanita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #600 on: May 14, 2013, 03:14:18 pm »

joeclark77,thank you.
i tryed to check it out - but i couldnt.
there were 1000+ rejects and the creator gave me options to ignore rejects or continue searching etc. i dont know what to do :)

and on your screenshot it says "deep metals" , well, i would realy prefer iron in the first few levels. 
i came to DF because of a Lets Play/Tutorial, and.. digging deeper means lots of "FUN", for those who are experianced - but i want to learn some basics before i go deeper - "how much farms and farmers do i need per cook, and how many people can be fed by a cook, how does glas/cloth/pottery work" and all that stuff, and accessible iron would make that much easier, at least my militia could handle some attacks that way and i dont have to "Airlock" my base.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: May 14, 2013, 04:50:07 pm »

joeclark77,thank you.
i tryed to check it out - but i couldnt.
there were 1000+ rejects and the creator gave me options to ignore rejects or continue searching etc. i dont know what to do :)

You have to (t)olerate each of the error types.  Yeah, it's like the 5000th world it generates, but it works!  (I fiddled with the world-gen parameters a lot to try and get volcanos next to waterfalls, and this tends to make screwy worlds without enough lowlands or what have you.)

The iron on this map isn't really very deep below the plain.  It may say "deep metals" simply because it's in an igneous layer rather than a sedimentary one (it's hematite), or simply because the volcano above it is rather tall.  I'm pretty sure that the iron is higher than the first cavern.

JOanita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 14, 2013, 06:22:11 pm »

well, i checked it now. its not realy what im searching for. the river+flat area+available magma are nice features and theres also sand, but there is only a very low amount of iron
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, i would also prefer more trees&vegetation. But thanks for shareing :)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 14, 2013, 06:31:17 pm »

Hi, im pretty noob in this game. If it is allowed, id like to request a map.

Id realy like a map with ...

Here's what I've found, JOanita:
5x5, Temperate Conifer Forest, Untamed Wilds + Calm, Warm
Clay, Sand, Stream, Volcano on surface, flat area in the middle of the embark
24k Hematite, available immediately beneath the soil layers, and 209k flux if desired.
3.7k surface trees

Civs:
   326 Dwarves
   638 Humans
   434 Elves
   10135 Goblins
   192 Kobolds

Cavern starts at 106, embark is 141.
This map generates with no rejections.

JOanita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: May 14, 2013, 07:18:12 pm »

that sounds great! big thanks vjek!
Ill have alot of fun with this place and a great starting-worldgen-config to play with if i feel like i need a new, more "FUN" map. You just made lots of dwars happy :)

its not temperate, its warm, so i cant dig my watersupply while the water is frozen (no danger).

But im realy thankfull for the map&config, ill use it "warm" as it is, as a (hopefully small) challange with the water :)

now you have a special place on my pc..

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 14, 2013, 07:25:00 pm »

Ok, fair enough.  It is a temperate biome, but the temperature is warm, so... I didn't realize you wanted colder temperatures, but yeah, you can definitely find that by generating some more seeds with that worldgen profile and searching around.

JOanita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: May 15, 2013, 03:33:00 am »

hm, well. i have to retract my compliment of a 1-point-to-perfect map.

It IS perfect. the river in the north biome just froze :D

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 16, 2013, 07:25:11 pm »

I think I'm going to take that map and make an obsidian farm above-ground. Using trees for the walls. Thanks, vjek, you're quite seriously the best :D

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 16, 2013, 08:08:35 pm »

Glad to help.  :D

Organikk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 17, 2013, 05:36:10 pm »

Hi there! I'm pretty new to the game and looking for some things in an embark.

I'm trying to find a place that has a volcano, running water, flux, iron, and soil, but has a mountain or cliff face I can use to dig into for my fort. I dont care if the magma is on the surface. It would be nice if there were some goblin or other evil neighbors so I get to have some fun.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 18, 2013, 10:10:59 am »

Hi there! I'm pretty new to the game and looking for some things in an embark.

I'm trying to find a place that has a volcano, running water, flux, iron, and soil, but has a mountain or cliff face I can use to dig into for my fort. I dont care if the magma is on the surface. It would be nice if there were some goblin or other evil neighbors so I get to have some fun.
This post (and others in the thread) has those features.  However, even on the embarks that are flat, you can simply dig down 5 Z levels to stone and build your fort directly underground, if you don't want to build the fort in soil layers.  If you want a vertical cliff with no ramps, the most common place those exist is near a water feature such as a lake, or the joining of two rivers.

However, you can always de-ramp z-levels and dig it out yourself if you want some arbitrary shape, or build it up from wood, glass, or clay, those being in "infinite" supply.

Yisin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: May 18, 2013, 11:11:44 am »

I have read thru the thread and I was wondering someone could clarify what settings specifically they are using to get flat volcanoes near Rivers. Since no mater what i try with elevation and erosion, i can't seem to get any flat volcanoes or ones flat land near by. I only get ones with cliffs on all sides extending out at least 7 squares from the volcano.
Thanks

alexjj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: May 18, 2013, 03:49:31 pm »

Currently building a worldgen database website, where anyone can upload a worldgen then you can filter and search the worlds for things, e.g. volcanoes or has iron etc.

I was wondering what would be the items you'd want to filter by? I'm trying not to add *too* many fields as it becomes a chore to fill in when you upload a world. The details page for each world can show the prospect output and other descriptive text you can type in. I'd like to keep the filterable page to fields where it's either true or false or you can choose the item from a dropdown. e.g. has volcano, or site has River/Brook/None.

Sample so far:
From Page

List Page
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 03:57:35 pm by alexjj »

Yisin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: May 18, 2013, 05:24:37 pm »

Alex,
  Looks awesome, I would have options for volcanoes, flat volcanoes, and good/evil, calm/savage, size, length of history, and  for type (region, islands etc.).   

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: May 18, 2013, 05:55:51 pm »

Started a succession fort on another forum :) Take a look at the center of the map. Recommend downloading for optimal viewing

http://fav.me/d65qbrv

Download the Untouched Save
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 62