Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 39

Author Topic: Adventures on Monster Island  (Read 257063 times)

The Brodacious One

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Stab it twice for good measure
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures on Monster Island
« Reply #495 on: February 26, 2015, 11:58:18 am »

Happy Early Naming Day!

So I followed your world gen advice and I spawned in a tree with 2 zombie dragons nearby.
WARNING! PICTURES ARE REALLY BIG!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You can see one to the left and the other was above that one but hidden in the smoke. I managed to jump down and get away for alittle bit and one zomdragon chased me. I was doing pretty good jumping out of the path of the fire but it was inevitable.

Here's the world it made. Not really an island but close enough for me. I first thought it was all gonna be a tundra/ice wasteland but it's not(as you can tell in the first picture). I'm gonna play around in it for awhile and see if I can get to that apparently random volcano in the water.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 26, 2015, 12:13:16 pm »

Cycle through the starting points enough and you'll probably start on the volcano sooner or later, world I made with the painter that was supposed to be just water and an island had another little hunk of land pop up with a volcano on it and a few lairs in what should have been open water.

Couldn't reach it manually, swimming was out of the question because it lagged to hell and froze nightly, running across the ice still lagged to hell, and going through the caverns didn't work because it kept getting the same lag spikes. Finally just gave up with that guy and restarted after I found a lair I hadn't seen on the main island.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 26, 2015, 04:18:06 pm »

So I followed your world gen advice and I spawned in a tree with 2 zombie dragons nearby.
I had one variation of the world gen where I was pretty much instantly slaughtered by a group of 6-8 zombie hydras. I guess turning up the megabeasts was not the best idea.

Besides, every time I spawned I ended up on the vulcano, never on the ice. But you can always just turn off the poles I guess? Or simply set a smaller temperature range which doesn't include freezing temperatures.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 26, 2015, 11:41:26 pm »

Lately hydras have basically been the number 1 cause of death in my monster island games. I almost miss the early DF2014 when literally any enemy would chicken out and run, even if they had the fearless token like hydras do. Made me feel like I was the all-destroying, all-devouring megabeast. owo

Also, as a highly belated response to earlier suggestions I just hacked zombies up. It works great. If you aren't outdoors in an evil biome, and not near a necromancer. In any conditions where the source of the undead horde is present and can't be eliminated first, the short-term benefits to incapacitating the undead has to be weighed against the long-term threat of multiple reanimated bodyparts.

Even the most harmless bits and pieces of zombies provide a few extra attacks aimed at you that can get lucky, a few more distractions to dispose of, and a few more additions to the swarm reducing your options to escape.

Though to me at least, the best defense against the undead is a good pair of feet. Just don't ask to borrow some from the zombies. o3o

EDIT: Well, seeing as I've been toying with a mod I'd been tweaking and running a Monster Island adventure, I guess I'll share a story while I'm at it.

Ingul Bledgriffon the Free Morass, queen ant woman. Basically added animal people to the adventure mode list, plus various tweaked recipes taken from Wanderer's Friend. Turns out 4 arms are quite useful when you can carve bone shields. After a spree of giant-hunting and a futile attempt to locate a marsh titan that wandered from its shrine, I found a labyrinth. As I've found in the past, minotaurs are far more attentive than giants or cyclopes. Apparently a lion-sized bipedal bug is remarkably stealthy.

Little bit of maze-diving and I had one after me, with a second following not far behind. Very first hit pulps the left upper arm, so there goes an alligator snapping turtle shield. A bit of ineffective back-and-forth later, and it grabs me by the head. I try to jab it some more and only manage to get that knockout strike because it wastes a turn taking another swing at me instead of trying to crush my head in.

So I start stabbing at it while I wait for the second to close the distance, soon backing away since the unconscious minotaur was still somehow holding me. Naturally his first punch gibs a leg and floors me. Soon enough I'm back to just barely avoiding blows and getting grabbed fruitlessly when it splatters my spear arm.

So at that point, with it grabbing onto me and about to wrestle me to death, I pulled my dagger out with one of my intact pair of arms. Only one chance, and with a weapon I had no skill in.

So yay, one lucky facestab and both minotaurs are out cold, leaving me to knife them both to death, retrieve my gear. While I'm at it, I celebrate by filling my waterskin using one of the multiple pools of minotaur blood. I'd really wanted to see if I could shank that marsh titan and drink it's blood, but oh well. Speaking of blood, I managed to crawl out of that damn place without bleeding to death, whee.

Naturally I also upgrade my bone armor some, since semi-megabeasts and megabeasts were tweaked to have slightly better body materials than the norm. As for the leather, I was reluctant to replace my scale armor and boots since my scale armor and boots are still more-or-less on par with upgraded leather, at least in some aspects. And last but not least, a minotaur horn crown seems like a fitting trophy after the hardest fight this character's had.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:22:31 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 27, 2015, 05:11:38 am »

Well shit.  This be awesome.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: February 27, 2015, 05:33:18 am »

And while I'm at it, the award for "longest fucking death ever" goes to...

Spoiler due to decent-sized image:

A circle of campfires and LOTS of sling ammo was about the only way I could actually survive more than a couple turns against this thing. Even then, it wasn't until one hit make it start puking that I was confident enough to jump back out of the flames to start stabbing.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 01:27:48 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 27, 2015, 06:19:09 am »

Even then, it wasn't until one shit make it start puking...
That's one hell of a shit.

Oh god I can't stop laughing, I spit all over my screen just now...

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: February 27, 2015, 11:05:39 am »

Even then, it wasn't until one shit make it start puking...
That's one hell of a shit.

Oh god I can't stop laughing, I spit all over my screen just now...

Fixed. That is what happens when you post at 3-4 in the morning. ;A;

EDIT: Found a plains titan. Big fugly bugly, apparently could chuck fireballs. Unexpectedly easy to dodge its actual kicks, and somehow being pelting with its "flames" never did anything but conjure smoke, nothing caught on fire.

Also? Derp. This is what happens when worldgen fails to snag the "tanned chitin" I added to b_detail_plan_default:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 01:29:23 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: February 27, 2015, 10:43:46 pm »

Did you just roll up a doobie out of that dead monster?

I am no longer allowed to read this thread while the missus is asleep.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: February 27, 2015, 10:46:28 pm »

Did you just roll up a doobie out of that dead monster?

Would make life in this monster-infested hellhole more tolerable, but nope. Game derped because I added a "tanned chitin" and "tanned scale" material to the default body detail files, but the monster generation uses hardcoded versions.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: February 27, 2015, 10:51:01 pm »

...I just noticed our avatars are a weird juxtaposition.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 27, 2015, 10:54:09 pm »

...I just noticed our avatars are a weird juxtaposition.

What glorious symmetry. o3o

Meanwhile...

"You can't rest until you've stopped the bleeding." Yes I would love to, if I knew how.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 01:30:31 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #507 on: February 27, 2015, 11:08:31 pm »

MONSTER ISLAND RETURNS! THE DEATH MAY NOW CONTINUE!

Seriously though, I'm happy you're back.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 28, 2015, 12:48:10 am »

And now my derped-up modding gets unexpectedly complicated: "You make a marsh titan scale."

Seems the bog-standard body detail plan is referenced for titans with skin or scales, but either not for chitinous ones, or not when you add chitin to non-chitinous creature bases. Hence presumably why I didn't roll up another titan fatty this time.

This actually implies that the generated monsters AREN'T genned by hardcoded things, as I can't remember what the base creature of that earlier titan was. A few redundant placements of the tanned scales and chitin mats should solve that.

Now if only I find an easy way to get titans to reference the upgraded materials instead.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Azhf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 28, 2015, 02:24:00 pm »

Happy birthday, Earwig! Have a good one, really enjoying this story.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 39