Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Managing fort with 50+ dorfs?  (Read 6270 times)

Portalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Managing fort with 50+ dorfs?
« on: February 21, 2012, 11:00:25 am »

Whenever one of my forts gets 50+, everything just goes to hell. I can't manage all their jobs, and everything just starts getting crowed, and bluh.

How do you guys manage to manage 50+ dwarfs?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Managing fort with 50+ dorfs?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 11:03:33 am »

Dedication and stubborness :P

(Although most people use Dwarf Therapist I guess)

Portalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 11:05:38 am »

I use Therapist as well, but when you start getting up to the 100's they don't even fit on the screen anymore.

I think the main source of my problems this time around was a massive 50-dorf migrant wave that consisted of 30 children.

Olix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 11:09:38 am »

You can do everything with profiles pretty quickly in Therapist. Just create a generic "Hauler" profession, then put every new person in a migrant wave into it. It takes 2 clicks. When you need a skilled person to open up a new industry you can search all your haulers for someone appropriate.

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 11:11:12 am »

I am about 144 according to dwarf therapist but I don't use it other than to get a total count of dwarfs.

Personally I sort of eased into it with getting a large stockpile by limited my dwarfs to 35, 45, 75 and then when I felt that I had enough stockpiles I opened up to 200 cap.

The way I manage it is by clicking u and going through the list and anyone who is a dedicated person to a task I need like Brewer, Farmer, Blacksmith, and so on I turn the hauling option off in their labor. Then anyone who has a red name like Pump Operator I turn their mechanics all on to build traps. Then for wood and furnace operating I find some guys at random and turn their hauling off and wood burning/furnace operating on.

Also I make my mayor a body burying person for karma sake...

As for military I try to go through the list and assign peasants and people who have no real skills like fish dissector so that I don't add anyone with a real profession.

Other than that I just let it run...

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 11:14:18 am »

I operate with a minimal number of legendary professionals, and the rest as haulers/gym members/miners/wood cutters etc. As needed, I pick out new professionals - based on stats, not skills, stats are harder to increase.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 11:33:14 am »

Since migrants now arrive with only the feed/water prisoner/injured, cleaning and hauling jobs active, it should be easier to do things now.  Just keep track of who you assign to non-hauling jobs.  If you use DT it should be trivial if you disable hauling from the dwarves that have "real" jobs to perform.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 11:51:26 am »

Oh one more thing...

With a large population fort you want to setup burrows and a civilian alert on your military screen.

This video shows you how towards the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg5QsC31U6o

Basically you want to setup a burrow that contains the entirety of your inside fort but not including your traps on your front door (as you don't want dwarfs cleaning traps  while under attack) and then setup a military alert that has all your dwarfs go to the designated burrow under the military alerts screen.

This is the best way to keep your dwarfs in the fort during an attack and the only alternative is to manually add the dwarfs to the burrow but that takes a really long time if you have more than 50 dwarves.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 11:58:18 am »

therapist and the manager
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 12:22:31 pm »

therapist and the manager
This. These two things together allows me to manage hundreds of dwarves just as easily as I can manage tens. The only other thing that you need is an ability to multitask due to the number of different professions in your fort as it gets larger. While back when you only had 50 dwarves you could focus on a single project and 90% of your dwarves will be working on it, with larger forts maybe only 50% of your fort will be qualified to work on any given project. As such I find it best to work on 2-3 projects simultaneously in bigger forts so that you can still use most of your dwarf power as well as still have that feeling that something is getting done even though your FPS is half what it used to be.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 12:23:51 pm »

You can create custom professions in Dwarf Therapist. 

Whenever I get a migrant that my fortress doesn't have a need for, I toss him into either the Peon category(Who does all the grunt work I don't need a professional for) or the Guard category, who walks around the map killing 17 varieties of Animal Men all day.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 12:43:35 pm »

The secret is to plan ahead. Have enough food, water, dining halls, bedrooms, etc. ready to go before the immigrants arrive (because you know they're going to).

Alternately you can lower your population cap in d_init.txt. Some people just prefer a smaller fortress, nothing wrong with that!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 12:48:33 pm »

I usually prefer 120ish forts, with about 25% usually being idle haulers for when I either take on a big project or slaughter many enemies/animals
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 02:03:26 pm »

I (ab)use the nickname feature for dwarf management. Every dwarf is assigned one or a few useful professions it should be doing and then gets a nickname like 'furnace+metalcraft'. Whenever some new migrants arrive I stop the game and assign all of them to something useful, might take a while but I think worth it. Then whenever you see you have a lot of idlers you can check on the unit screen very easily what these dwarfs should be doing so you can start a new appropriate project for the idlers.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 02:45:33 pm »

I don't use Therapist or any external tool, and I manage it, but keeping the unemployement low is a challenge in and of itself.

It sure keep me busy, which is great anyway. The game wouldn't be much fun if it just involved looking at the fortress running like a life-sized vivarium.
Pages: [1] 2