Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: throwing caged enemies into the pit  (Read 6281 times)

mickhah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
throwing caged enemies into the pit
« on: February 27, 2012, 09:47:17 am »

hello. i've build a like 4 or 5 levels deep pit. created a pit/pond zone over it. however, when i throw enemies into the pit, they don't die. but the most bad thing is, that these enemies scare dwarves from the very bottom of the pit, and dwarves cancel do throw next enemies into it. i tried to build a drawbridge in the bottom and slap enemies to death, but it doesn't work. filling the pit with water helped with goblins, but then i can't throw amphibian creatures, who come with goblins during the siege, into the pit.
and one another thing - can i somehow throw enemies down but keep the cage?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:48:48 am by mickhah »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: throwing caged enemies into the pit
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 09:49:07 am »

Make the pit at least ten Z-levels deep.  That should kill nearly anything.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:58:04 am »

They should take the creature out the cage when tossing him into the pit, so the cage should be fine..

As said, either make it 10+ levels, or drop them onto spikes. To avoid frightening people, make sure there's no line of sight to the goblins.

mickhah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:08:04 am »

how can i adjust that the creature is taken out of cage? i just add the creature from the list in the pit-menu ("P"). and how can i build the pit so, that dwarves don't see the bottom of the pit? so far i know there's no possibility to build it so that enemies slide down on the walls, like in a tube.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 10:13:17 am »

Adding them to a pit tells a dwarf to remove them from the cage, drag them to the pit, and dump them in it. The cage is then free and should be moved to an animal stockpile.

Use a hatch where your pit hole is, so it'll close and the pitting dwarf won't get scared.

Code: [Select]
XXXXX
XYXYX
XXXXX
X = animal stockpile, filled cages only. Y = channeled hole with hatch, designated as pit. Idea is just to have all stockpile tiles adjacent to a hatch.

You can make it as big as you want, though 9 hatchs is usually more than enough.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:17:16 am by Yaotzin »

Myiagros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 12:23:35 pm »

I've been pitting my goblins 1 z-level into my barracks which is filled with training dwarfs and has the doors locked. For the pesky thieves I build the cages inside the barracks then link them to a lever to be pulled. Works perfectly unless a door is left unlocked.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 12:34:08 pm »

I just station my soldiers over by the cages and release the thieves.

I can't use the hatch thing unfortunately for my training rooms; I primarily use marksdwarves, though I've got a giant sponge in the river which has helped out a great deal.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 12:47:31 pm »

couple options here.

1.  Construct the cage next to the edge of the pit.  Deconstruct cage via lever, the contents will be dumped into the pit.  May not be suitable for pitting large numbers of creatures, however since a dwarf doesn't have to open the cage, it is the safest method.

2.  Construct the cage next to the edge of the pit.  Designate the creature to be pitted.  Since there is no distance between the cage and the edge, the creature is thrown over by a dwarf and has no chance to escape.  Works for armed invaders and large creatures.  Works best with named invaders because you can check the names of the invader in the cage when you assign it to the pit.  Works less well pitting trolls when you have 20 of them caged.

3.  Strip caged goblins and assign them to be pitted.  If they're stripped they won't be able to escape.  This may cause interrupt spam and your military will probably start whaling on the dragged prisoner.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 06:56:01 pm »

Chain up some war dogs and have some cage traps at the entrance of your mass pit stockpile. That way if someone escapes, you can immediately recapture them.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 02:52:58 am »

I just set a stockpile next to my pit and set it to only hold goblins, trolls, semi-megabeasts etc. The regular cage stockpile has these creatures disabled, and holds other things I may have a use for, such as trainable bears. Caged baddies are brought to the edge of the pit automatically, and they are insta-chucked in, since they are directly adjacent. Haven;t had a cage-related acident since. No fuss, no mess, no frothing-mad escaped ettins to rampage about. Also, I keep my pit shallow on purpose, for to train crossbows with.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0