Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247379 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #525 on: March 15, 2012, 12:55:23 am »

I swear, it's like Santorum wants everyone to hate him. I can see the reactionary pro-English nonsense getting support, but openly opposing a statehood movement? That isn't going to set well with the vast majority of people.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #526 on: March 15, 2012, 10:21:50 am »

An update on an issue I (and a few others) posted about back in Vectors thread:

The US pastor who crusaded against homosexuals in Uganda and inspired an attempt to set the death penalty for homosexual behavior is now facing a lawsuit for his involvement.

http://news.yahoo.com/lawsuit-us-pastor-runs-anti-gay-effort-uganda-190148480.html
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 15, 2012, 10:43:22 am »

Also on "anti gay efforts", did you know that from tomorrow and on, waving a rainbow flag in Saint Petersburgh might be counted as illegal? It's part off some new law against "gay propaganda".
Love, scriver~

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 15, 2012, 11:20:51 am »

How popular is the statehood movement in Puerto Rico? It's not something people talk about very often (though it's not surprising that as soon as something's brought up Santorum's views on it turn out to be horrible).

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 15, 2012, 11:49:17 am »

How popular is the statehood movement in Puerto Rico? It's not something people talk about very often (though it's not surprising that as soon as something's brought up Santorum's views on it turn out to be horrible).

In puerty rico, the support varies depending on how the question is asked. somewhere between 30% and 60% give or take. Its not just a question of "remain a territory" and "become a state". There are also movements for independence and commonwealth.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 15, 2012, 12:00:05 pm »

I'd love for Puerto Rico to become a state, if just to see the racists recoil in horror.

Latin americans... err, I mean, "mexicans" gaining a state? How barbarous!

Plus 50 is a boring number.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 15, 2012, 01:26:36 pm »

Single parenthood is apparently a form of child abuse, according to a Wisconsin senator.

How the heck do these people get elected?  Between this and the "Whore Pill" thing yesterday my brain is starting to want to leak out my ears.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #533 on: March 15, 2012, 01:27:18 pm »

State senator Glenn Grothman, an admitted opponent of the social welfare establishment that he believes encourages women to have children out of wedlock. . .

What...the...fuck.

Coming from a single parent household yes, it is a poor situation and is best for a child to have two present and loving parents, but speaking from my experience and the experience of other single parent people I know, in the majority of cases it's the father who made the decision to not have anything to do with the child.

On the other hand, single parenthood can be a contributing factor to abuse and neglect. It is much easier to abuse a child when you are their only supervision and it is much easier to get depressed and neglect your children when you have to raise them on your own. Somehow, I suspect Grothman isn't trying to get at that here, though.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 15, 2012, 01:51:13 pm »

Just read about the "whore pill" thing. I'm increasingly thinking we need to talk Arizona into seceding as quickly as possible. And put up a border fence. Then when conservatives complain about how we do things here in "liberal-infested America" we can chuck 'em over the wall into Arpaiostan.

Also, someone needs to check Ms. Lesko's family records. If she doesn't have a dozen or more kids, I'm calling bullshit on this, because I'm betting her birth control is paid for by the Arizona taxpayers.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 15, 2012, 01:53:45 pm »

On the other hand, single parenthood can be a contributing factor to abuse and neglect. It is much easier to abuse a child when you are their only supervision and it is much easier to get depressed and neglect your children when you have to raise them on your own. Somehow, I suspect Grothman isn't trying to get at that here, though.
It is a "contributing factor" as much as any other source of high stress, like say... financial situation. It is neither an excuse nor a proof of guilt.

Single parenthood ain't ideal. No one would argue against that. But it is not something to be demonized, either. The dude's intention obviously is to scare people; if you have sex, and your partner leaves you with a kid, you're contributing to child abuse. That train of logic is bullshit, not only because it'll do squat to prevent anything, but because it throws guilt on people not guilty of anything.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 15, 2012, 02:04:24 pm »

It is a "contributing factor" as much as any other source of high stress, like say... financial situation. It is neither an excuse nor a proof of guilt.

Single parenthood ain't ideal. No one would argue against that. But it is not something to be demonized, either. The dude's intention obviously is to scare people; if you have sex, and your partner leaves you with a kid, you're contributing to child abuse. That train of logic is bullshit, not only because it'll do squat to prevent anything, but because it throws guilt on people not guilty of anything.

And because forcing two people who don't want to stay together to do so because of an unplanned child is a fantastic recipe for child abuse.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #537 on: March 15, 2012, 02:08:19 pm »

I think in many states poor financial situation is considered a contributing factor to abuse. I'm not saying it's proof of guilt, but there is a higher rate of abuse and neglect among children of single parents and something needs to be done to provide these families support. Obviously, this bill doesn't have that goal in mind.

I think it's worth pointing out that it only becomes a contributing factor once abuse or neglect has already occured. It is neither proof of guilt nor warrant for suspicion.

Actually, I think his intention is much worse. The wording of the bill states "nonmarital parenthood," which I suppose was used to include those sex-loving non-marrying hedonists and, of course, gay parents.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 15, 2012, 02:19:01 pm »

And because forcing two people who don't want to stay together to do so because of an unplanned child is a fantastic recipe for child abuse.

Staying with an child abusing spouse contributes far more to child abuse and neglect than leaving a child abusing spouse.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 15, 2012, 02:23:35 pm »

Actually, I think his intention is much worse. The wording of the bill states "nonmarital parenthood," which I suppose was used to include those sex-loving non-marrying hedonists and, of course, gay parents.
Yeesh. Never saw that wording.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 759