Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247421 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #600 on: March 16, 2012, 04:03:24 pm »

Remember, it logs what IP address you've logged in from. If someone gets on GG's account and trololols then Toady will see that.

Or a trollololol will get a hold of it and use it to break the C.o.C. with impunity from a public terminal and get your account banned. That IS the nice version.... Seriously, edit post and/or change that....

"public terminal." A la internet cafe' or library computer. See the significance?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 16, 2012, 04:08:45 pm »

Or proxie or a something like TOR.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #602 on: March 16, 2012, 04:14:23 pm »

Well then maybe Toady would take this into account and only give GG a warning or a mute for it, for being somewhat irresponsible.

I'm just trying to be foolishly optimistic here! I want to believe that people are mostly good, okay! :(

I guess... someone could sign into her account, change the password, and then email the new one to her?
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 16, 2012, 04:27:07 pm »

Or, just maybe, I responded appropriately to the knowing exchange of information "other people now have access to my account" by changing my password.

The point was that a password isn't "private" or even a "secret" in the way other things are private or secret. There is value in others not knowing them, but the value isn't in the information being kept hidden.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 16, 2012, 04:30:17 pm »

Or, just maybe, I responded appropriately to the knowing exchange of information "other people now have access to my account" by changing my password.

The point was that a password isn't "private" or even a "secret" in the way other things are private or secret. There is value in others not knowing them, but the value isn't in the information being kept hidden.

You're assuming you can un-ring bells: that there is a remedy for a secret getting out.

What if there isn't?

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 16, 2012, 04:42:33 pm »

My point was that a key isn't a privacy issue, because it isn't the information that has value. The conversation that follows, however, illustrated the other half of the point I wanted to make perfectly - the request was a silly one, because the information exchange was lopsided, and we couldn't know who might have ended up using the account.

Essentially - I'm okay with secrets kept to protect us from the deceptions of others. I'm okay with keys that restrict access to those who should have it. I prefer these methods of combating the secret actions of others over laws curtailing our ability to uncover secrets through our own actions.

When I talk about being generally anti-privacy, I am not talking about either of these things. I'm talking about being opposed to the sort of secrets that let others act openly and honestly in superior ways.

Because trust me, you and I do not benefit from the worship of the ideal of privacy anywhere near as much as politicians and banking executives do.

And once we've given those with power over us the right to privacy, they will assert that it only counts for them, and they will get away with it, because we won't try to take away theirs (privacy is too important!) but it gives them the strength to take away ours (No, you can't film the police, but yes, we can film you)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 16, 2012, 04:47:54 pm »

Having no privacy or secrets is only actually feasible if nobody else has any either. Unfortunately to keep that up we'd have to have extremely effective ways of keeping track of everything about everyone, which just isn't possible.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 16, 2012, 04:49:04 pm »

As far as I can tell GG is fine with having no secrets and therefore assumes that everyone else can live the same way.  It seems silly.  I mean, the fact that some people can take a punch to the gut doesn't mean that we should be allowed to punch anyone we like in the gut.

Say I do webcam livestreaming off my laptop and forget to turn it off. Would that be illegal?

It seems to come down to the "to spy" part, which means intent is the incriminating action.
Really you could say the same about almost any crime if you're prepared to make up a contrived example.  Falling asleep with a cigarette in your mouth won't get you charged with arson while setting fire to the bed would, for instance (let's say it's in a shared building so it's not yours to burn down).

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 16, 2012, 04:51:11 pm »

Well, GG, it would appear that you are just an odd one. I, like many others, do not like the idea of being observed, tracked, profiled, or otherwise studied when we are at home, and any explanation we could give for this desire for privacy would probably come from a psychologist.

I would agree with you that, when in public, or performing acts related to a public service, surveillance is permissible, but I would seriously doubt that we put ourselves at risk by forbidding people to monitor the activies of their neighbors—you will remember that such an incident was the topic of discussion.

It is here that I would lighten a rather dry and accusative post with a cheery icon to indicate my intended goodwill, but I feel that contemporary iconography is a crutch I would use to prop up my poor writing.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 16, 2012, 04:55:14 pm »

I firmly believe that all of us having no secrets is better than only some of us having no secrets, and the way our society is structured, most of our secrets are not nearly to the extent we think they are, and the secrecy around those using the information is so thick we'll never even know we've been compromised. And those using the information do not have our best interests at heart.

This whole derail was about this guy having legal troubles for taping his roommate coupled with the new NSA center stuff, really.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 16, 2012, 05:00:56 pm »

Just don't publicly post your password....
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 04:06:42 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 17, 2012, 01:24:54 am »

You may remember that This American Life episode on FoxConn. It was retracted; turns out a decent portion of it was invented by the guy to sell his story. http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/16/10720955-this-american-life-retracts-damning-report-on-apple-manufacturer-foxconn

"Daisey lied to me and to 'This American Life' producer Brian Reed during the fact checking we did on the story, before it was broadcast," Glass said. "That doesn't excuse the fact that we never should've put this on the air. In the end, this was our mistake." 'This American Life' will devote its entire program this weekend to detailing the errors in the story," the press release said.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 17, 2012, 01:47:47 am »

In other news, more details of what's beginning to look like police covering up; shit is surfacing:
http://news.yahoo.com/family-slain-black-fla-teen-hear-911-calls-013325111.html
The article says white person, then later in the article it says the murderer was Hispanic.

What!?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 17, 2012, 01:56:50 am »

Because he's a white hispanic?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 17, 2012, 02:11:42 am »

In other news, more details of what's beginning to look like police covering up; shit is surfacing:
http://news.yahoo.com/family-slain-black-fla-teen-hear-911-calls-013325111.html
The article says white person, then later in the article it says the murderer was Hispanic.

What!?

I doubt american's differentiate hispanics based on racial origins, e.g. Brazillian businessman Ricardo Semler would be considered hispanic in the USA, even though his family came from Austria. So it in no way delineates a racial boundary.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 759