Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247310 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #735 on: March 21, 2012, 11:01:19 pm »

A Family's Cat Is Murdered In the Name of Politics and Conservatism Jan 24 2012

The campaign manager for a Democratic Congressional candidate returned to his Russellville, Arkansas home, to find that the family cat had been killed. The word "liberal" had been scribbled across the cat's body in paint.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:18:16 pm by Reelya »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: March 21, 2012, 11:02:12 pm »

A Family's Cat Is Murdered In the Name of Politics and Conservatism

The campaign manager for a Democratic Congressional candidate returned to his Russellville, Arkansas home, to find that the family cat had been killed. The word "liberal" had been scribbled across the cat's body in paint.
Whoever did that is dead to me now  >:(
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 21, 2012, 11:07:22 pm »

Uh-oh. Harming cats is one of the proven ways to attract internet vigilantes. Whomever did that is going to find themselves outed to the police very quickly if they left any evidence behind.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: March 21, 2012, 11:14:35 pm »

It's also months old. I thought it had finished making the rounds.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 21, 2012, 11:16:04 pm »

First I've heard of it. Did they catch anyone?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 22, 2012, 01:39:20 am »

Ah, that reminds me; http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/21/10791923-firebombs-set-off-at-texas-state-senators-office
A texas democratic senator's office was firebombed.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 22, 2012, 01:51:00 am »

Ain't politically motivated arson awesome?  :-\
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 22, 2012, 01:53:01 am »

Ain't politically motivated arson awesome?  :-\
May or may not be the case; not seeing any confirmation yet either way.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 22, 2012, 02:01:02 am »

My money (if I had any, that is) is on it being politically motivated. I don't have any proof or citations, just a gut feeling.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 22, 2012, 03:52:56 am »

My money (if I had any, that is) is on it being politically motivated. I don't have any proof or citations, just a gut feeling.
Yes well, gut feelings aren't worthy diddly.

http://www.kgoam810.com/rssItem.asp?feedid=118&itemid=29818893
Police do not believe the fire-bombing was politically motivated. They believe it was an isolated incident committed by a mentally unstable man.
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/headlines/20120321-man-accused-of-firebombing-state-senators-office-called-unstable.ece
A homeless man who police say ignited Molotov cocktails at the door to the offices of state Sen. Wendy Davis exhibited unstable behavior and spoke of aliens after the attack, according to police documents.

The affidavit said that Steele visited Davis’ office Friday and again Monday “to speak with the Senator about a tazing [sic] incident that occurred in Michigan. Steele then left an unknown part of a dead animal stating it was a new species and wanted the Senator to see it,” the affidavit states.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 22, 2012, 03:56:08 am »

Ah okay.

Another reason I never want to be famous.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 22, 2012, 12:44:19 pm »

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/too-many-jobs-look-ahead-next-labor-market-144556623.html

This is another reason I'm a rationalist and not an empiricist....

Yes, there will be a crapton of people who are of retirement age. Yes, compared to that raw number, there is a big difference between the number of people of retirement age and those coming into the workforce. However:

a.) That assumes older people can afford to retire (many can't).
b.) That assumes immigration won't fill any gaps (it would, gladly)
c.) What about all the working age and close to retirement age people who recently lost jobs, or had their home values fall greatly. Even if they can afford to retire, will they?

I happen to like this comment:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The numbers for this argument make perfect sense, just like how "the recession ended years ago." Except that's not true at all in a practical sense.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 22, 2012, 01:03:36 pm »

God, I know all about the problem with the "retirement gap". When I was in grad school, the future was bright and shining for us future govenrment workers because there was a wave of Baby Boomer retirements approaching, and with the likely prospect of a Democratic administration taking over, new funds for the State Department, which was said to be planning on hiring tens of thousands of new employees!

Jump forward a couple of years, and instead there are millions of Federal employees who are clinging desperately to their positions, and the State Department's funding has been gutted by the Republican Congress. And me and my posse who were looking forward to going out and bringing some mad diplomacy skillz to the government are stuck working mall kiosks and tech support and student exchange programs (and trying to pay back 5-digit student loans).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 22, 2012, 01:09:03 pm »

God, I know all about the problem with the "retirement gap". When I was in grad school, the future was bright and shining for us future govenrment workers because there was a wave of Baby Boomer retirements approaching, and with the likely prospect of a Democratic administration taking over, new funds for the State Department, which was said to be planning on hiring tens of thousands of new employees!

Jump forward a couple of years, and instead there are millions of Federal employees who are clinging desperately to their positions, and the State Department's funding has been gutted by the Republican Congress. And me and my posse who were looking forward to going out and bringing some mad diplomacy skillz to the government are stuck working mall kiosks and tech support and student exchange programs (and trying to pay back 5-digit student loans).

[Edit:] Same thing with lawyers, except 6 digit student loans.... They lied to us all basically.

Don't use your regular email address for this unless you want them to email you about causes they want you to sign for:
http://signon.org/sign/support-the-student-loan.fb1?source=s.fb&r_by=3715985
http://hansenclarke.house.gov/sites/hansenclarke.house.gov/files/documents/1-pager%20SLFA.pdf

Student loan debt is approaching $1 Trillion in this country. It's about time we did something about forgiving some of it given that A.) the education we bought wasn't worth it, and B.) The jobs for our generation don't cover the cost of the education it took to get them.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:16:35 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: March 22, 2012, 01:13:13 pm »

Same thing with lawyers, except 60 digit student loans.... They lied to us all basically.

I...I really hope that's a typo. Or that you guys just track your loans with a ridiculous number of leading and/or trailing zeroes.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 759