Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247633 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #915 on: April 05, 2012, 08:42:02 pm »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 06:03:39 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: April 05, 2012, 08:44:34 pm »

The difference being that...

-Other people can own a car.
-Other people own knives.
-Other people have rope.
-Other people have hammers.
-Other people have toasters.
-Most people h ave clothes.

...whereas only you can have a video from your face that most likely can be traced back to the source, considering that the video appears to both be stored on a server and the glasses track your location. Also that you'll most likely be partially visible in the video. (Limbs, looking at mirrors, etc.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: April 05, 2012, 08:49:19 pm »

Honestly, the thing that possibly bugs me more about the eye-camera thing is being recorded, especially if I'm not in an overtly public place or somethin', especially without consent or knowledge.

Though I guess as long as I can sue or something if someone knocks on my door with one of those things running I wouldn't complain... much. It's still a bit of one of those "Stay the fook out of my life" things, though. I don't mind fallible human memory as much as I do video recordings or pictures.

Still, knowing that some random frakker with no particular reason to do so could be recording me for whatever giggles they get out of it is... kind of annoying, really. I can give a bit on vested interest (security cameras, commercial or for home use), but just as a shits'n'giggles thing... ehn. That tweaks me a bit, it does.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: April 05, 2012, 08:52:52 pm »

Honestly, the thing that possibly bugs me more about the eye-camera thing is being recorded, especially if I'm not in an overtly public place or somethin', especially without consent or knowledge.

This is actually illegal in plenty of places, at least in some ways, and definitely if it involves a conversation being recorded.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: April 05, 2012, 08:54:19 pm »

Welll.....If you're in a public place you don't have an expectation of privacy, and in that case two-party consent laws about recording don't apply.

Not that the cops much care about that, but regardless.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: April 05, 2012, 08:57:39 pm »

I've seen that video.  And I really don't see how it relates.  Wearing the camera doesn't magically force you to talk to police.  I guess there's a ridiculously small chance that if you constantly record everything (note that's not practical or something the product expects or requires you to do) you will somehow slightly incriminate yourself in spite of being innocent.  Ok.  But I don't think that chance is greater than the other chances I mentioned or worse ultimately.

...whereas only you can have a video from your face that most likely can be traced back to the source, considering that the video appears to both be stored on a server and the glasses track your location. Also that you'll most likely be partially visible in the video. (Limbs, looking at mirrors, etc.)
I was talking about Truean's "what if you turn it off during a crime" idea, but equally anything the camera records will be circumstantial evidence assuming you're not actually a criminal.  I'm not sure why "other people own those things" is relevant at all (let's say you're the only person in your area with that kind of car).

If you want a more direct example, how about "never meet up with anyone because they may provide you with an alibi that actually ends up incriminating you"?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:08:37 pm by Leafsnail »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: April 05, 2012, 08:58:26 pm »

The supreme court has made at least one good decision regarding one's expectation of privacy in public in the digital age.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #922 on: April 05, 2012, 09:11:29 pm »

I've seen that video.  And I really don't see how it relates.  Wearing the camera doesn't magically force you to talk to police.  I guess there's a ridiculously small chance that if you constantly record everything (note that's not practical or something the product expects or requires you to do) you will somehow slightly incriminate yourself in spite of being innocent.  Ok.  But I don't think that chance is greater than the other chances I mentioned or worse ultimately.
Because if you're foolish enough to talk to the police, believing yourself to be completely innocent, and there are discrepancies between your statement and the video records the police have, which there most certainly will be, then the police will jump on that. And frankly, the last thing you want is to give the police ammunition because it seems like many of them have the attitude of arrest 'em and let the courts sort 'em out.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: April 05, 2012, 09:18:21 pm »

...Except the camera doesn't force you to talk to police.  I'm not arguing about talking to the police being bad (although I think it's only bad due to horrible evidence being accepted in court).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: April 05, 2012, 09:24:06 pm »

It does mean, though, that if you do talk in, say, court, that the discrepancies will capitalized on -- even if they're innocent. Having an absolute reference to measure your fallible memory against in a situation where any discrepancies may be enough to sink you is... undesirable. Regardless as to if you did or did not do anything. Think that's the major point trying to be made, here. That video records are more likely to do damage to you than not.

Honestly, it doesn't even have to be a situation involving you, specifically. You could be testifying about something else.

E: Really, what I'd say about all this is it's going to be facebook et al taken even more into the public sphere. That shit is a plainclothes trap -- albeit one with a certain degree of functionality outside of it -- and on the fly self-recording is just the next step up. Only now it can shove itself into other peoples lives without their consent :-\

I will say that now I'm probably going to have to look more carefully into what exactly counts as "in public." If there's going to be folks walking around randomly taping shit m'gonna' need to be more careful about that.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:29:38 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: April 06, 2012, 01:06:29 am »

Sex offenders cannot play online multiplayer games in New York anymore.  Do we seriously need to start running petitions to protect our sex offenders from our own justice system?!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: April 06, 2012, 01:07:22 am »

Just give them all the death penalty already. It's what everybody wants.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: April 06, 2012, 01:10:41 am »

Sex offenders cannot play online multiplayer games in New York anymore.  Do we seriously need to start running petitions to protect our sex offenders from our own justice system?!
How do you think some of them become sex offenders in the first place?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: April 06, 2012, 01:23:54 am »

From either molesting someone they knew in their neighborhood, peeing in public, or impregnating their seventeen year old girlfriend after they turned eighteen.

Online games operate behind a strong wall of anonymity to protect everyone from each other.  In order for a sex offender to find a victim, they'd have to breach that wall somehow (probably in a guild) and manage to travel huge distances to find that person.  Chances of a sex offender finding an impressionable youth online within a short driving distance are pretty slim.

The idea that a sex offender cannot even play an online game in a controlled, anonymous environment is abhorrent, absurdly stupid, and absurdly cruel.  We already subject sex offenders to a lifetime of torment and exile from normal life, now we're taking away their right to freaken' entertain themselves.  The sex offender system is absolutely out of control and is ruining two lives for every rape instead of reconciling one while rehabilitating the other.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: April 06, 2012, 01:33:18 am »

What the hell?

How do you think some of them become sex offenders in the first place?
In the case of one of my friends who has since moved away, someone text him naked pictures of their underage self (they were both 15) and his phone was confiscated shortly for unrelated reasons. Because the phone wasn't locked (search and seizure laws.), the teacher could flip it open, just not press any buttons. The new text hadn't been read, so it was visible. Cue immediate sex offender status.

It's far from a perfect system.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 759