Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247196 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1230 on: May 02, 2012, 08:23:12 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/appeals-court-rejects-case-against-former-bush-lawyer-152801831.html

So immunity for the lawyer who said it was legally cool to torture people in the United States of America.... It was "legally unclear" that enemy combatants got the same rights as other criminals and prisoners of war...? So if I call it something different then that changes it despite it being exactly the same.... If I screw up the slightest bit, they will jump all over me. This John Yoo guy does this and just....

He literally ordered people tortured.... No consequences....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: May 02, 2012, 08:34:31 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/appeals-court-rejects-case-against-former-bush-lawyer-152801831.html

So immunity for the lawyer who said it was legally cool to torture people in the United States of America.... It was "legally unclear" that enemy combatants got the same rights as other criminals and prisoners of war...? So if I call it something different then that changes it despite it being exactly the same.... If I screw up the slightest bit, they will jump all over me. This John Yoo guy does this and just....

I need to get the hell out of this country.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1232 on: May 02, 2012, 09:15:32 pm »

Oh my. Scary D:

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: May 02, 2012, 09:18:32 pm »

Why does it always seem like the more important something is, the less conseqences for the people involved?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: May 02, 2012, 09:19:38 pm »

Why does it always seem like the more important something is, the less conseqences for the people involved?
Essentially, "screw the rules; I make them."
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: May 02, 2012, 09:19:45 pm »

Because they believe its important to send a message.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: May 02, 2012, 10:10:11 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t69MZkuKpWU&feature=youtu.be

"accidently" left in a holding cell for 5 days, no food, no water. For a marijuana bust.

Fuck these motherfuckers.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: May 02, 2012, 10:23:29 pm »

Wife Of Key Legislator Behind North Carolina’s Anti-Gay Amendment Claims It Would Protect ‘Caucasian’ Race: http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/05/02/475141/brunstetter-caucasian/
NANCE: So you did or did not say anything about Caucasians?

BRUNSTETTER: If I did it wasn’t anything race related.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #1238 on: May 02, 2012, 10:28:32 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t69MZkuKpWU&feature=youtu.be

"accidently" left in a holding cell for 5 days, no food, no water. For a marijuana bust.

Fuck these motherfuckers.

It was just incompetence and not malice, because this is the sort of things lawyers have wet dreams about.  The important thing is they 'apologized' in three vague sentences about the mistake, in a public forum, and made no effort to direct this message towards the intended person.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: May 02, 2012, 10:43:59 pm »

Wife Of Key Legislator Behind North Carolina’s Anti-Gay Amendment Claims It Would Protect ‘Caucasian’ Race: http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/05/02/475141/brunstetter-caucasian/
NANCE: So you did or did not say anything about Caucasians?

BRUNSTETTER: If I did it wasn’t anything race related.
Ugh. Sorry, but I'm a bit disgusted that something a politician's wife said is seen as newsworthy. Watching the video, it seems to me that she was talking about something entirely irrelevant to the amendment to a random unidentified lady, this dude's drilling her in the hot sun for specifics, and people are taking a hell of a lot out of context.

The amendment is dumb and I would not be entirely surprised if this lady's a racist, but this is plain not newsworthy for any purpose other than attacking a politician's family to indirectly discredit them. And that's not good mojo.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: May 02, 2012, 10:57:45 pm »

Ugh. Sorry, but I'm a bit disgusted that something a politician's wife said is seen as newsworthy. Watching the video, it seems to me that she was talking about something entirely irrelevant to the amendment to a random unidentified lady, this dude's drilling her in the hot sun for specifics, and people are taking a hell of a lot out of context.

The amendment is dumb and I would not be entirely surprised if this lady's a racist, but this is plain not newsworthy for any purpose other than attacking a politician's family to indirectly discredit them. And that's not good mojo.
Yeah, I guess you are right. I would say that she appeared to be actively talking to people to promote the amendment at the time, but on further thought it is still not good practice to depict something political by interviewing some idiot or nut who supports it without actually having a position of authority over the matter.
Soaplent green is goblins!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: May 03, 2012, 12:38:47 am »

I need to get the hell out of this country.

To what country, though? Every other place is letting people be tortured on order of the US.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: May 03, 2012, 12:52:19 am »

This depressed me a little, I thought this was the place to share it. Pastor says to give 4-year-old boys who act camp "a good punch". If they have a 'limp wrist' then break that wrist to send the message to 'man up'.

http://duanegraham.wordpress.com/2012/05/03/squash-em-like-a-cockroach/

During a sermon extolling the virtues of North Carolina’s Amendment 1, a proposed constitutional alteration that would superfluously ban same-sex marriage (it’s already illegal in the state), Pastor Harris said the following (please, watch the video clip and read the transcript):
So your little son starts to act a little girlish when he is four years old and instead of squashing that like a cockroach and saying, “Man up, son, get that dress off you and get outside and dig a ditch, because that is what boys do,” you get out the camera and you start taking pictures of Johnny acting like a female, and then you upload it to YouTube and everybody laughs about it and the next thing you know, this dude, this kid, is acting out childhood fantasies that should have been squashed!

Can I make it any clearer? Dads, the second you see your son dropping the limp wrist, you walk over there and crack that wrist! Man up! Give him a good punch, okay? “You’re not gonna act like that. You were made by God to be a male and you are going to be a male.”

And when your daughter starts acting too “Butch,”  you reign her in! And you say, “Oh, no! Oh, no, sweetheart. You can play sports. Play ‘em!  Play ‘em to the glory of God. But sometimes you are going to act like a girl and walk like a girl and talk like a girl and smell like a girl, and that means you are going to be beautiful, you are going to be attractive, you are going to dress yourself up!

You say, “Can I take charge like that as a parent?” Yeah, you can. You are authorized. I just gave you a special dispensation this morning to do that. (Laughter)

Ummm, no, you cannot authorize child-abuse. This pastor is preaching illegal activities.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 12:57:32 am by Reelya »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: May 03, 2012, 12:58:03 am »

I doubt he meant a full fledged punch to the face. Probably a smack to the shoulder or something like that.

What makes me angry is the enforced gender roles. Fuck those.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: May 03, 2012, 01:05:25 am »

He can hide behind "i didn't mean it seriously", but that doesn't stop someone else acting on these words, who takes it fully seriously (e.g. a redneck who is concerned their son may be gay). Since he's basically said it's a good idea to beat teh gay out of little kids. A steady supply of "good punch"es anywhere on the body, and "crack that wrist" from your male role-model to a 4-year-old boy, just for being themselves, sounds like a good recipe for a seriously disturbed child.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 01:09:11 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 759