Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247610 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1335 on: May 10, 2012, 02:54:01 pm »

If the UU's (as an example) have decreed that they recognize and celebrate same-sex marriage, how is it not violating religious freedom for a state to force them to NOT perform said marriages? What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Yeah, that's a point that doesn't exactly get represented in the larger dialogue, and a pretty good one. Kinda' cuts to the point that the advocates against same sex marriage aren't doing it for religious freedom, they're (at best) doing it for their religion's "freedom." It's nice to see some folks getting some attention fighting for religious freedom writ large.
Well, and let's make clear that what they (the anti-SSM advocates) are fighting for is their religion's freedom to discriminate. Which has typically not been recognized as a valid right by most courts (although Hosanna-Tabor Church v. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission certainly could be interpreted as allowing exemptions for religious institutions from things like equal opportunity labor laws).

It's a thorny issue: One the one hand, religions shouldn't be able to exempt themselves from civil protections and be legally able to create second-class citizenry. On the other hand, government should not be able to dictate to religions what parts of their doctrine they are allowed to practice.

In a perfect world, it would be left up to the market of ideas, and people would vote with their feet -- if the majority of individuals favored gay marriage, in theory they'd leave close-minded denominations and choose SSM-friendly ones. But it's nowhere near that simple. Most people can't "shop around" for a new church the way you can for a new car.

Most cases of national importance are complicated and have two sides. The "Vote with your feet" principle is nuts, honestly. I have to freaking uproot and move to another area just for something to make sense? Assuming I can even get a JOB in that new area, which is what really determines a lot of where people live, not choice, would it be at comparable pay/expense ratio of what I currently have? Better? Worse? Moreover, what if I like one aspect of the place I'd be moving to (new state) but there are other areas that I just don't/can't live with? Finally, I know we like to think everyone is fungible (replaceable) because we write people off for no good reason, but what about area friends and family? Institutions I've used for years, etc.

The idea that everyone and everything is perfectly replaceable, mobile, and interchangeable ignores the entire human experience. Rights, certain universal ones, are things a person should be able to invoke, and no one else should be able to violate, no matter where they are or why.

One of the main reasons kindness and basic consideration die in the modern day is that they're free; you can't charge for them. They also cost relatively nothing to give, and people still won't. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 02:57:34 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: May 10, 2012, 02:58:13 pm »

So you're arguing all churches should be forced to marry/not marry any two people, or what?

You don't exactly have to uproot to vote with your feet by getting married at the town clerks office.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: May 10, 2012, 03:04:52 pm »

So you're arguing all churches should be forced to marry/not marry any two people, or what?

You don't exactly have to uproot to vote with your feet by getting married at the town clerks office.

You do if every town clerk's office in the state won't marry you but other states will....

Speaking of town clerks that's exactly who that argument was aimed at procedurally and precisely.

There's actually no contradiction in what I said about rights set down.

The church would have a property right. They can, but don't have to marry me. One of the key rights of property is to exclude others from it.

I have a civil right whereby the government can't discriminate and that only applies to government action...

Or so I'd argue, it SHOULD be but unfortunately isn't currently....

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #1338 on: May 10, 2012, 03:24:22 pm »

[snip]the complaint specifies that while he won't perform a same-sex marriage (because the denomination, which is the archconservative wing of the Lutherans, forbids it), he feels that it's STILL a violation of religious freedom and that other denominations should have the right to solemnize same-sex marriages if they so choose.[snip]

IF it was truly non-interventionist and left solely to religions, then I would gladly Atheist-Minister-up and marry whoever.  I am sure many would. 

However,  I am fairly certain it still would not be equal rights in many states' laws that way, due to, basically, bullshit or new-law runaround.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: May 10, 2012, 05:24:07 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/thousands-british-police-join-anti-austerity-protest-141105856.html

Nobody cares about anything until it effects them....

Austerity, is apparently necessary, but certainly not for rich and/or powerful people. Nope. Not them. Always us.... "Everybody" is just whining, until you're part of everybody.

It's really kinda like the air force's unofficial motto, "Flying along dumb and happy until we hit the side of the mountain."

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: May 10, 2012, 05:26:40 pm »

Truean, I think the marriage posts you made may have gotten a good deal off topic, since you started off by criticizing someone was trying to advocate making gay marriage legal (despite being unwilling to perform it themselves). Your more recent examples are very nearly completely irrelevant to the conversation. :/

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: May 10, 2012, 05:42:41 pm »

Since when have we really cared about going off the rails in this thread, provided we're talking about relevant stuff? :P

Anywho I'm on Redking's side for a "vote with your feet" thing being the "ideal" solution, except that it's plain not practical. If the people around you bug you, you should be able to move to others who are more like minded rather than force everyone else to conform to your own personal standards. The practical concerns come into play with the stuff Truean mentioned (jobs, families, etc), along with having to force at least free immigration/emmigration.

I don't believe in utopias, so I don't believe in a single set of rules that can be applied to every group of people. There are going to be people who simply do not fit in with their surroundings, so they should be able to choose their surroundings for themselves, not force their surroundings to fit them. We can talk about inalienable rights that should be applied everywhere, but it's not cut and dry what rights actually are inalienable, especially for 100% cultural constructs like marriage (nevermind the very concept of inalienable rights skirts dangerously close to objective morality).

Long story short, "voting with your feet" is a complex issue, no easy answer for what's best. It's one of those "perfect world" things.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: May 10, 2012, 05:46:39 pm »

Truean, I think the marriage posts you made may have gotten a good deal off topic, since you started off by criticizing someone was trying to advocate making gay marriage legal (despite being unwilling to perform it themselves). Your more recent examples are very nearly completely irrelevant to the conversation. :/

? [takes out detailed map of rails, illustrates]

My last post was on a different topic altogether.... Namely austerity, particularly in the UK.

As for criticizing the pastor Redking was talking about and the other points related to that; those were dead on point. The whole vein of the conversation was about rights as concern marriage performance (of ritual), definition, and authority over these. The pastor Redking was talking about was arguing that the State was interfering with a Church's right to determine who it married by imposing any type of marriage. Redking thought that was indirectly in favor of gay marriage because more or less it would mean those churches who do want to marry gay people would be allowed to do so. I on the other hand, see it as a pastor trying for an ill advised power grab for churches. I don't believe this pastor is advocating for any sorta of gay friendly anything, indirectly or otherwise. I think he's going for power....

Apparently there's a legal complaint being filed in Greensboro, NC by the county register of deeds and three clergy members, to the effect that the clergy view any state imposition on who they can and can't marry as a violation of religious freedom.

He's talking about a "right" of churches. As in he is saying the government has no business telling the church anything at all concerning marriage, because that would violate a church's right of "religious freedom." If he won this suit, it would give him a great deal of power concerning marriage, gay or otherwise, and take said power away from the state.

Rails:
Simply the conversation was about gay marriage: a.) an NC amendment against it, 2.) general people's reactions to it, 3.) certain specific people's reactions to it (including Obama and PoH's example of that mean girl on Facebook), 4.) one specific pastor's lawsuit concerning gay marriage, and 5.) proposed solutions including the "vote with your feet," thing Redking brought up as his ideal solution. All to do with gay marriage and the rights surrounding it: definition, administration, prohibition, and remedy in the event of prohibition. Straight rails with detailed stops and stations along the tracks?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:51:08 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: May 10, 2012, 06:29:33 pm »

I'm not actually sure about that. Is there any existing category of marriage which a church is legally obligated to perform? If not, the only thing being argued here is that the state cannot forbid any particular kind of marriage from being performed by a given church.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: May 10, 2012, 06:41:44 pm »

I was under the impression that religions can perform whatever the hell ceremonies they want. The whole gay marriage deal has to do with legal contracts, nothing else.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: May 10, 2012, 06:50:46 pm »

I was under the impression that religions can perform whatever the hell ceremonies they want. The whole gay marriage deal has to do with legal contracts, nothing else.
This. Seems like many Christian sects prohibit divorce, which is why divorce is a legal option for anyone who wants one (here in the States, at least). If churches don't want to hold ceremonies for gay couples, I don't see a need to force them to do so, so long as a legal option is available.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: May 10, 2012, 07:03:13 pm »

Indeed. Which is why the whole "sanctity of marriage" thing is bullshit. Unless you think legal documents are "sacred."

Were laws being imposed to force pastors to marry people they don't want to marry, then I'd be on their side 100%. That ain't the case.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: May 10, 2012, 07:07:51 pm »

Because this thread only exists for me to transcribe my facebook to:
Spoiler: seemed relevant (click to show/hide)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: May 10, 2012, 07:09:39 pm »

Were laws being imposed to force pastors to marry people they don't want to marry, then I'd be on their side 100%. That ain't the case.
Once again, this. :P

Besides, I'm sure there are plenty of churches (that Unity sect that seems to be making the rounds, or possibly the Quakers) and non-denominational houses of worship that would be glad to host gay wedding services. Money is money, after all.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #1349 on: May 10, 2012, 07:34:00 pm »

Once again, this. :P

Besides, I'm sure there are plenty of churches (that Unity sect that seems to be making the rounds, or possibly the Quakers) and non-denominational houses of worship that would be glad to host gay wedding services. Money is money, after all.

Reguarding marrying people...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRvuXu1_iF0
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 759