Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244279 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1770 on: June 07, 2012, 11:36:34 am »

I don't think you understand. Fracking puts methane gas in the water. When I say that it can explode, I do mean that it can explode.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: June 07, 2012, 11:36:50 am »

So some far right Greek politician punched one of his political opponents on a talk show.

I'm not sure if there's any actual discussion to be had here, but everyone take a moment to shake your head in disappointment. There are people who elected this guy. Apparently this party has been accused of being neo-Nazis and committing violence against immigrants. Greece is so screwed.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1772 on: June 07, 2012, 11:49:06 am »

I don't think you understand. Fracking puts methane gas in the water. When I say that it can explode, I do mean that it can explode.

Not really. Methanized (invented word) water can barely burn. My fathers parents farm in Michigan had it. Its less flamable than hard alcohol. Its like carbonated rotten egg flavored soda that produces a pale blue flame.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: June 07, 2012, 12:00:25 pm »

Not really. Methanized (invented word) water can barely burn. My fathers parents farm in Michigan had it. Its less flamable than hard alcohol. Its like carbonated rotten egg flavored soda that produces a pale blue flame.

I'd just as soon keep flames of any kind or color out of my water, thank you.

That does raise an interesting question though: what do you use to fight fires if the damn water is flammable?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:02:42 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: June 07, 2012, 12:04:55 pm »

I'd just as soon keep flames of any kind or color out of my water, thank you.

That does raise an interesting question though: what do you use to fight fires if the damn water is flammable?
Carbon dioxide and/or foam.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: June 07, 2012, 12:36:40 pm »

I believe the explosions are generally due to buildups of methane pockets in the pipes, sewers, or buildings the water travels though, leeching from the water as it goes, until it builds up enough that explosions become possible.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: June 07, 2012, 12:45:59 pm »

So some far right Greek politician punched one of his political opponents on a talk show.

I'm not sure if there's any actual discussion to be had here, but everyone take a moment to shake your head in disappointment. There are people who elected this guy. Apparently this party has been accused of being neo-Nazis and committing violence against immigrants. Greece is so screwed.

Oh. My. God.
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: June 07, 2012, 12:50:39 pm »

Not that surprised. The Greek military (especially Special Forces) tends to think of Communists as "good target practice" rather than a valid political party. Ironically, their rivals over in Turkey are of the same mind.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: June 07, 2012, 12:51:57 pm »

So hang on... a country in economic meltdown, isolated from its neighbours and in huge amounts of debt to them, with right wing politicians being elected into positions of power. Haven't we had that before somewhere, and didn't it end really badly?
This is a blank sig.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: June 07, 2012, 12:55:58 pm »

Difference being that precisely no one is terrified of the mighty Hellenic legions. Well...maybe Macedonia.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: June 07, 2012, 01:00:05 pm »

Eep. According to that article, it seems they were throwing petty insults for a while until the guy exploded and started throwing punches instead. I'm shaking my head in disappointment all around, since they seem incapable of real debate (and it being a talk show doesn't really excuse that). That dude's just the worst of 'em.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: June 07, 2012, 01:18:36 pm »

So hang on... a country in economic meltdown, isolated from its neighbours and in huge amounts of debt to them, with right wing politicians being elected into positions of power. Haven't we had that before somewhere, and didn't it end really badly?

As if we didn't have enough parallels to pre war period already...
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: June 07, 2012, 01:40:28 pm »

As if we didn't have enough parallels to pre war period already...
They even have an ominous sounding name and ex-military membership. The Golden Dawn. Damn. Even Hitler didn't name things that ominously.

Wish I had a political party that sounded that interesting.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: June 07, 2012, 02:32:22 pm »

Godwin's Law. You lose.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: June 07, 2012, 02:45:07 pm »

Godwin's Law. You lose.

Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 759