Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247512 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1815 on: June 11, 2012, 02:21:03 pm »

■ A man could claim domestic violence laws don’t apply to him because his religion teaches that a husband has the right to discipline his family, including his wife and children as he sees fit.
■ A parent who believes in faith healing could to deny critical medical treatment to a seriously ill child.
Note that is already the case in Alabama, Alaska, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Virginia, and Wyoming. See the Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act of 1973, which formerly required states to enact religious exemptions to child abuse and medical treatment laws in order to receive a portion of their federal funding. The act was amended in 1996 to no longer require this, but most of the states retain their exemptions, which to my knowledge are still valid as a defense in a court of law.

Thank fucking god (pun intended) that NC isn't on that list, somehow.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: June 11, 2012, 02:23:07 pm »

*spittake*
CALIFORNIA?! Aw man, my state usually seems so much better than that! D:
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: June 11, 2012, 02:53:10 pm »

« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:07:41 pm by penguinofhonor »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: June 11, 2012, 02:54:25 pm »

■ A man could claim domestic violence laws don’t apply to him because his religion teaches that a husband has the right to discipline his family, including his wife and children as he sees fit.
■ A parent who believes in faith healing could to deny critical medical treatment to a seriously ill child.
Note that is already the case in Alabama, Alaska, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Virginia, and Wyoming. See the Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act of 1973, which formerly required states to enact religious exemptions to child abuse and medical treatment laws in order to receive a portion of their federal funding. The act was amended in 1996 to no longer require this, but most of the states retain their exemptions, which to my knowledge are still valid as a defense in a court of law.

Thank fucking god (pun intended) that NC isn't on that list, somehow.
Yeah, well....child abuse enforcement and prosecution in NC essentially followed that line of thinking for a LONG time. The gist of it was "Oh, he broke the kid's nose? Well....we can't be a-tellin' a man how to run his house, but we can't have that either. Give him a couple of weeks' probation to show we mean business. Oh, and get that kid a Kleenex, he's bleeding all over the place and making a mess."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: June 11, 2012, 03:13:10 pm »

Ah hell. Truean, I almost missed that because you edited it in, but that is absolutely horrible. I can't believe it hasn't been brought up in the news over here... Maybe they're waiting to see if it passes. But yeah... I don't understand what goes through their mind. You think it goes for Muslims too? I want to see how they react the first time somebody claims innocence because of sharia.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: June 11, 2012, 03:24:50 pm »

You think it goes for Muslims too? I want to see how they react the first time somebody claims innocence because of sharia.
"Your honor, the spirit of this law is clearly intended only to protect the expression of nonviolent religious freedom under religions that fit within American cultural history, not violent cults."

Not saying that would work out in court, but that's my prediction for an anti-sharia argument if this law were to pass. Not to say that actually applying sharia is a good thing either, but in theory this law would legitimize it. Kind of a surprising hole in the law they have there, but there's no way they say that the law only applies to Christians without it being immediately struck down by the courts as a violation of the Equal Protection Clause, as much as I'm sure they'd love to.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: June 11, 2012, 03:27:51 pm »

Note that is already the case in ... Ohio, ....

It used to but lately they've taken a much harder stance on this. Somebody will report your ass to child protective services or call the cops and stuff will go down. Gives a whole new meaning to "battered wives' syndrome" though doesn't it?

Ah hell. Truean, I almost missed that because you edited it in, but that is absolutely horrible. I can't believe it hasn't been brought up in the news over here... Maybe they're waiting to see if it passes. But yeah... I don't understand what goes through their mind. You think it goes for Muslims too? I want to see how they react the first time somebody claims innocence because of sharia.

O didn't you hear? "Religious freedom" in the US is pretty much just thought to be the right to spread Christianity.... All other religions aren't actually called lesser religions most of the time, but the implication is there.... It's lovely huh? The anti defamation league (the Jews) are against this stuff for that very reason. Oklahoma actually passed some law or other banning Sharia Law, because people know basically nothing about law. Jews make contracts under Jewish Law between themselves all the time, have for years. They have an arbitrator who is a rabbi. 

It's a brave frightened new world....

If it is upheld, then quite frankly I think there should be protestors quoting Leviticus and threatening to kill anyone who wears mixed threads, eats pork/shellfish, or works on Sunday.  Also adulterers should also be stoned by that book's teachings, so you know, good bye politicians....

You know who I like? The Jews. It's against their religion to eat pork and shellfish, but do you see them trying to make laws forbidding that? Nope.
_________

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/11/the-reward-for-donating-a-kidney-no-insurance/
No good deed goes unpunished....
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 07:35:32 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: June 12, 2012, 11:18:59 am »

So, when is the voting through? I'm anxious to hear the results.
Love, scriver~

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1823 on: June 12, 2012, 12:12:35 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/power-players-abc-news/top-conservative-says-read-lips-don-t-sign-101721355.html

An endangered species, almost completely extinct. A republican that realizes that cutting taxes does not reduce the deficit.

Edit:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/gun-toting-olympians-leave-london-early-banned-social-172959543--oly.html

Olympic athletes being censored and forced to leave the London games early for posting a picture on facebook. There is something deeply wrong with the IOC and Australia. Its a picture, free expression, or does that mean nothing anymore?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 02:33:31 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: June 12, 2012, 02:44:26 pm »

@swimmers thing
While what the boys did was not illegal, posting the photos on social networks encourages public debate, and that debate can be seen to have a negative impact on the image of the sport and their own image.
Okay, what the fuck. I'm one of those crazy anti gun hippies, and I'm totally on their side. Since when is "encouraging public debate" a bad thing?!

Alcohol and topless bars are legal, too. Should athletes post photos of themselves doing shots at a strip club?
Fuck yes they should. First off, it'd be hilarious. Secondly, I'm not one for censoring sexual things.

Excuse my profanity, but that's just mind blowingly stupid.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: June 12, 2012, 02:49:04 pm »

The Olympics have never believed in free expression.

This is the organization that drives people from there homes and forces companies out of business because they might conceivably be competition. The company that send out hired policemen to insure that noone is displaying "innappropriate" signage or creating a condition where the Olympics might get any sort of negative publicity. It wrecks homes, lives and families for nothing but pursuit of the almighty dollar.

It is, quite simply, run by people who are both thoroughly evil and value their image above all else.

This is pretty much exactly in keeping with standard Olympic practice.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: June 12, 2012, 02:57:18 pm »

It's an image thing. A country's Olympic team is the face of their nation during the Olympics, and more than a few Australians might not be thrilled with the image of Australia being "a couple of young guys thuggin' it".

Pro athletes get censured pretty frequently now for making asinine tweets and FB postings, if it's deemed detrimental to the "team image" (i.e. brand). Wouldn't expect different for an Olympic team.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: June 12, 2012, 02:57:46 pm »

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/gun-toting-olympians-leave-london-early-banned-social-172959543--oly.html

Olympic athletes being censored and forced to leave the London games early for posting a picture on facebook. There is something deeply wrong with the IOC and Australia. Its a picture, free expression, or does that mean nothing anymore?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Why, WHY, do people have such overreactions over images?! (Or words for that matter.) Can't a person regardless of social status post images of his private life without some backward nutjobs going on a moral crusade against him? Or are these people so deeply locked inside their closets that they can't see past the archaic role expectations. If they don't like the images, don't look at them!

This is why we can't have nice things. This is why say a teacher who dresses himself outside the norms isn't allowed to teach or happens to have a little fun with his friends on a Saturday night, posts images of that event and then gets fired because some a-hole screamed "bloody murder". Or tweets something outside his "role expectation".

THIS IS THE 21ST CENTURY. THIS CRAP SHOULDN'T HAVE TO HAPPEN. WE'RE BETTER THAN THIS, FOR FUCK'S SAKE.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: June 12, 2012, 03:02:04 pm »

It's an image thing. A country's Olympic team is the face of their nation during the Olympics, and more than a few Australians might not be thrilled with the image of Australia being "a couple of young guys thuggin' it".

Pro athletes get censured pretty frequently now for making asinine tweets and FB postings, if it's deemed detrimental to the "team image" (i.e. brand). Wouldn't expect different for an Olympic team.

Still pretty bullshit. But then, I'm a weird guy, and very nearly of the opinion that professional athletics should be illegal by this point, so what do I know.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: June 12, 2012, 03:21:32 pm »

Still, they posed with guns. I'm a gun-control-hippie-commie-crypto-muslim-american-hater as well, and frankly, I don't see anything wrong with this. I mean, are shotguns illegal in Australia? That pic was taken in California for god's sake! I'm just going WTF.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 759