Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247607 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #2070 on: June 27, 2012, 05:54:42 pm »

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: June 27, 2012, 06:03:32 pm »

I'm no political scientist... is there such a thing as labor tariffs?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: June 27, 2012, 06:04:38 pm »

What do you mean by labor tariff? You can't import labor, so I'd say no.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: June 27, 2012, 06:08:09 pm »

Well the general idea of tariffs is to give an advantage to local products. Just wondering if tariffs could be applied to the labor used to produce the product; if it were made in the USA, it'd be cheaper, otherwise they'd face a tax.

/shrug
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: June 27, 2012, 06:21:08 pm »

So, a standard tariff?

The problem with tariff is that other country tend to retaliate by imposing tariffs of their own, and what you ain on importe you loose on exports.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: June 27, 2012, 06:24:17 pm »

And mutual protectionism can often end up bad for everyone.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: June 27, 2012, 06:46:01 pm »

What do you mean by labor tariff? You can't import labor, so I'd say no.
My father's company disagrees, I mean it's the entire reason we're in this country.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: June 27, 2012, 06:52:48 pm »

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57462085-92/google-shows-apple-we-made-ours-in-the-u.s.a/

We.... Need. This. (Things being made in the U.S.).
Doesn't matter really. Even without outsourcing, a very large majority of these jobs would be gone very shortly anyway due to increasing automation.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: June 27, 2012, 06:56:23 pm »

Someone has to design the machines to do that, and moreover someone has to build the machines that assemble products. (Or at least build the machine that builds the machines!)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: June 27, 2012, 07:12:43 pm »

Which is how many lost jobs, still? Not every assembly line worker is going to be replaced by an engineer at a 1:1 ratio.

To solve the technology problem we need to cut into the profit gain made by automation. Probably shorter work weeks. Less individual hours = more workers.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: June 27, 2012, 07:21:33 pm »

That's a stop-gap at best.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: June 27, 2012, 07:27:32 pm »

The alternative is to accept that people will be jobless and outright give them necessities. Obviously, I'm all for that, but I don't see it happening right now.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: June 27, 2012, 07:30:02 pm »

The alternative is to accept that people will be jobless and outright give them necessities. Obviously, I'm all for that, but I don't see it happening right now.
Or we go full Imperium of Man and accomplish everything through sheer brute-force manual labor.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: June 27, 2012, 07:43:09 pm »

Which is how many lost jobs, still? Not every assembly line worker is going to be replaced by an engineer at a 1:1 ratio.

More than that, they are in entirely different sectors of the economy and, more importantly, different strata of the US's social hierarchy. Which means for those unskilled or demi-skilled laborers who used to be manufacturing products, the jobs are gone and can not come back.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: June 27, 2012, 10:59:21 pm »

That's a stop-gap at best.
You have to keep paying them the same amount. In absolute terms, not per-hour. This only works, obviously, if it happens all across the board or it starts with a big enough player that they can weather the opportunity costs long enough to cripple the opposition by attracting the majority of the competent labor pool, and neither option is going to happen. Unfortunately, you don't get to be rich by writing a lot of checks - so if you're already a major chunk of the supply side of the market, you're not the sort of business to make this sort of change.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 759