Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247619 times)

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #2415 on: July 26, 2012, 03:13:49 pm »

Also, a frog going out with a pig? That screams of no moral values; inter species bestiality,

Obviously they are against inter-species porking with a side order of heavy frogging. Probably because thats all they think about all day.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: July 26, 2012, 03:24:16 pm »

Also, a frog going out with a pig? That screams of no moral values; inter species bestiality,

Obviously they are against inter-species porking with a side order of heavy frogging. Probably because thats all they think about all day.

Puts me in mind of this (SFW):

EDIT: Going back to the whole argument about corporate "personhood"...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 03:49:20 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: July 26, 2012, 03:52:57 pm »

Most gay people avoid several of the religions on account of them not liking us.
I've observed the opposite. The number of gay Christians I've heard of is staggering and confusing, all things considered. I don't know how anyone who isn't a straight man could follow Christianity and not have their head explode from the cognitive dissonance, and this is coming from a straight man who used to be a Christian.

That seems to presume you have to be a fundamentalist to be Christian.
Love, scriver~

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #2418 on: July 26, 2012, 04:07:05 pm »

To be fair (and from personal experience, this is explicitly referencing those I know), most Christians don't actually think about their own religion very much.  Debating them about aspects of their own religion is either infuriating or hilarious, and sometimes both.

Also, a select few of these can justify any action they take with their own religion... even if its the exact opposite of what they already justified with it. 

None of these problems are limited to Christianity though.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: July 26, 2012, 04:17:43 pm »

Most gay people avoid several of the religions on account of them not liking us.
I've observed the opposite. The number of gay Christians I've heard of is staggering and confusing, all things considered. I don't know how anyone who isn't a straight man could follow Christianity and not have their head explode from the cognitive dissonance, and this is coming from a straight man who used to be a Christian.
Leviticus makes it pretty clear that Yahweh considers homosexuality to be evil and should be punished by death. There isn't much if any room for interpretation under that. Now, that's crazy, but the Bible is fairly crazy from cover to cover, and the cognitive dissonance would have to get to you eventually if you've read it and believe it but follow modern morality anyway.

I'll give the fundamentalists that much, they're completely right when they say that most Christians these days are making up their own version of god to make themselves feel comfortable.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: July 26, 2012, 04:20:24 pm »

Yeah, the old testament is one of the big things that killed my faith. Stoning someone for making a campfire on the sabbath is a bit much, people.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: July 26, 2012, 04:21:28 pm »

Leviticus makes it pretty clear that Yahweh considers homosexuality to be evil and should be punished by death. There isn't much if any room for interpretation under that. Now, that's crazy, but the Bible is fairly crazy from cover to cover, and the cognitive dissonance would have to get to you eventually if you've read it and believe it but follow modern morality anyway.

I'll give the fundamentalists that much, they're completely right when they say that most Christians these days are making up their own version of god to make themselves feel comfortable.
It's just that the fundamentalists never see themselves as doing the exact same thing  ::)
Lots of stuff is forbidden in the Bible (unless God says it's okay, of course). A person would go crazy trying to follow it all at once.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: July 26, 2012, 05:08:46 pm »

Which, once again, seems to preclude that you have to be a fundamentalist to be able to call oneself Christian. There's absolutely no reason a Christian should have to believe or follow every word of the Bible.
Love, scriver~

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: July 26, 2012, 05:28:53 pm »

Ah, but the corporation DOES sue people. You wouldn't say "A variety of people in an organization that produces fast food known as McDonalds sued a variety of people in an organization that produces shoes called Nike", you would say "Mcdonalds sued Nike".
Strictly because the latter's shorter than the former and linguistic convention has accepted that speaking in the latter manner is acceptable. The former is actually accurate. The latter is, and only is, a way to avoid having to spell it out quite so explicitly. That doesn't magically make McDonalds or Nike things that exist outside a person's head. It is directly equivalent to me saying "epistemology" instead of "the study of knowledge." Specialized language and not a wit more.

Like I said, to a heavy degree that's basically the crux of it. We've stated that a collective -- which is only a thing in a cognitive sense, and doesn't actually exist beyond that -- is an individual, and somehow deserves some of the rights (but not all of the responsibilities!) of an individual. If a corp, or a union, or whatever, exhibited the same degree of independence that a human does to, say, its lungs, I might be able to get behind the concept of groups as individuals.

But, they don't. Corps are fully controlled by individuals, and explicitly demonstrate the leading and control of individuals. The only times this seems (and only seems) to blur is when we allow those controlling individuals to hide behind the collective mantle of whatever it is they're directing... and allowing that perception -- and exponentially worse, attempting to enshrine it into law -- is causing extremely blatant problems.

I'd put it bluntly. The courts screwed the pooch with this one, and a reading of the constitution that does what you're speaking of is one that seriously needs to be reexamined. Calling things that are blatantly not people, people, isn't something we should be doing. Establishing laws for the recognition and protection of collective action? Yes, we need that. Calling collective action anything but what it is? No. We don't need that.

Yes, it is a strictly epistemological conclusion, but its still a true one, again, because the dog sure isn't complaining whereas the corporation (or the people representing it) is. The dog does not have representatives unless you count its owners, either.

Another point though: dogs don't "speak", they bark. There is no freedom of barking. If I went out late at night and barked, I wouldn't be sent to the pound but I would probably be fined for disturbing the peace (which is what dogs are doing by barking). Inversely, if a dog started campaigning for Rick Santorum, I seriously doubt it would be sent to the pound for doing so (or even if it was swearing and offending people). Therefore, it can be said that dogs, and therefore corporations, have freedom of speech.
The obvious answer is that is is no coincidence at all. Perhaps we are all sockpuppets of Necro.

Quiet, you're giving too much away!

But a corporation isn't sentient or sapient any more than an is does when there is someone piloting it.

A corporation is also an abstract concept that doesn't exist in the real world. However, the government also is an abstract concept that doesn't exist in the free world, but I don't think anyone would say the government doesn't have freedom of speech.
(And you say 'the airplane crashed', not 'the pilot of the airplane crashed', even in when the crash happens due to user error.)

Well yeah, even if the pilot of the airplane is responsible for crashing the airplane he isn't physically crashing. It's the plane plowing into the ground, the pilot just so happens to be inside. "The pilot of the airplane crashed" implies that he was racing across the sky like Superman and didn't watch where he was going.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: July 26, 2012, 05:44:05 pm »

There's absolutely no reason a Christian should have to believe or follow every word of the Bible.
Because it is their primary holy text? For most it is their only holy text?

You kind of have to adhere to a religion's demands to be part of it. I can dance around naked throwing buckets of strawberry syrup on people and call it Hinduism, but that doesn't make it so. 
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #2425 on: July 26, 2012, 07:42:44 pm »

There's absolutely no reason a Christian should have to believe or follow every word of the Bible.
Because it is their primary holy text? For most it is their only holy text?

You kind of have to adhere to a religion's demands to be part of it. I can dance around naked throwing buckets of strawberry syrup on people and call it Hinduism, but that doesn't make it so.

Wait, it isn't?  What have we been doing then?  Buddhism?
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #2426 on: July 26, 2012, 09:15:55 pm »

Boss wants more detailed time accounting...

May no longer be able to spend half my day web browsing randomly.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: July 26, 2012, 09:26:00 pm »

I'd say wrong rage thread, but I'll accept that as a violation of workplace ethics. Unions should push for web browsing rights!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: July 26, 2012, 09:27:11 pm »

Has that recent study on how work web browsing increases productivity been posted here already?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: July 27, 2012, 03:22:34 am »

Has that recent study on how work web browsing increases productivity been posted here already?

Not here, but there it has.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 759