Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244378 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #2550 on: August 15, 2012, 05:59:41 am »

It's not that it shouldn't be on TV so much as "it shouldn't suddenly come out of nowhere in an advert".  People are sometimes decapitated or disemboweled on TV, and there can be shocking pictures of dead bodies, but they tend to warn you in advance, in a way this advert does not.
Agreed. It's the same reason why many adult sites have warning pages, graphic films have rating labels at the beginning, and lots of TV programs have that little "M" or whatever pop up in the corner. By informing you ahead of time it gives you the choice to decide whether or not you want to be exposed to something that may offend you (or spoil your appetite should you be eating dinner). So while I'm all for putting whatever we want on TV, I think that there should at least be some warning somewhere. If they want to stick a "Graphics Pictures Warning" page in the first half second of their ad then I'm fine with them playing it, but elsewise they shouldn't.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: August 15, 2012, 06:15:44 am »

Fair 'nough.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: August 15, 2012, 08:29:25 am »

Severly rotten stuff going down in the State of Sweden right now. A lot of.. Well, I wouldn't call it corruption exactly, but unbelievable lack of judgement to the point of bordering on corruption describes it pretty well - Anyway, a lot of it is being uncovered right now. I can't give you exact numbers because just looking at them renders me completely unable to think or write with irrational anger, but there have been millions of tax money wasted by government sub-organisations (whatever the English word might be) on parties, luxuries and frivolous bullshit (one example I is one person spending hundreds of thousands on taxis in fucking Stockholm - it's god damned impossible to spend that much on travel there! It's just not big enough!). One guy even defended his groups spending with (paraphrased) "But we didn't try to hide it, so it's all right", and another commented that "they didn't realise it would be such a public outcry about it", as if suddenly wasting hundreds of tax crowns on your own god damn pleasures wouldn't be completely fucking immoral if only people didn't find out about it. And as usual the fucking liberals are all up in that shit with some of it even happening in organisations under the direct influence of the leaders of the liberal parties.

I really fucking hate the government right now. So if you'll excuse me, I'll just be over here with the revolutionaries and anarchists and plan the violent, fiery overthrow of the damn disgrace of a government system until I calm down.
Love, scriver~

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: August 15, 2012, 03:17:19 pm »

Speaking of hating the government and civil unrest, on the American side of things, some disturbing news coming through the pipes:

Several U.S. agencies, from the Department of Homeland Security, the Social Security Administration, and even weather-watching NOAA, have been requesting and stockpiling hundreds of thousands of hollow-point rounds, and distributing them to strategic locations all over the country. If you aren't familiar, hollow-point rounds are designed for tearing large holes in unarmored bodies. Adding to this, they've apparently also been requisitioning surveillance drones, the equipment to construct armored checkpoints and perimeters domestically, additional body armor for law-enforcement officials, and running "drills" at government facilities such as the Florida Social Security office, where soldiers have been practicing garrisoning and defending them. Heck, even non-military organizations like the National Weather Service are gearing up for conflict.

These requisitions have been going since last month, but have been ramping up recently, and it's only starting to become public today. I'm not one for the Tin-Foil Hat crowd, but if they really are requisitioning these "Training Supplies", it's pretty frightening news. It looks like the U.S. Government is preparing to put down and contain mass civil unrest.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 03:19:12 pm by Solifuge »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: August 15, 2012, 03:29:27 pm »

No offense, but those aren't exactly the most trustworthy sources.
That said, I'll keep an eye out for information through more legitimate channels. DHS has a pretty broad mandate, but I'm more curious about this notion that NOAA is stockpiling ammo. That should be traceable with the right legwork.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2555 on: August 15, 2012, 03:36:57 pm »

Hollow points are standard issue for many police forces.

Less likely to over penetrate, more likely to stop the threat.

And the article mentions that it was a clerical error, and that the bullets were going to the Fisheries and Game department.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: August 15, 2012, 03:43:55 pm »

And the article mentions that it was a clerical error, and that the bullets were going to the Fisheries and Game department.
That's just what they want you to think! Of course there really is no need for this due to all of the mind-control chemicals being dumped into our air that would prevent a mass civilian uprising anyways. ;D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: August 15, 2012, 03:44:46 pm »

Oh, and the worst part, which I forgot to add earlier. This all happened during the years where the liberal government sold out several of the state owned corporations and/or monopolies to be able pay off the state debt. Maybe they should have checked where the real fucking waste of tax money is first. But hell, that would require of them to treat themselves less, so I guess that's just not an option.
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: August 15, 2012, 03:59:28 pm »

Hollow points are standard issue for many police forces.

Less likely to over penetrate, more likely to stop the threat.

Yeah, but it does seem like overkill for certain agencies, y'know?

"YOU'RE FISHING WITHOUT A LICENSE!" *BLAM*

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: August 15, 2012, 04:06:07 pm »

Conservation involves shooting animals, as counter-intuitive as that may appear.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: August 15, 2012, 05:40:00 pm »

Conservation involves shooting animals, as counter-intuitive as that may appear.
But why hollowpoints then?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: August 15, 2012, 05:48:14 pm »

But why hollowpoints then?
It hardly matters, as I have found nothing to suggest that any fish and game department actually does any hunting themselves, so I was probably mistaken.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: August 15, 2012, 05:51:44 pm »

I really hope its a single Conspiracy Theorist who somehow sparked the discussion, which was then reprinted and changed. I just heard about it in stories I've seen today, but related stories began at the end of last month. Any idea where to begin a proper fact check on this? Same goes for the Florida "domestic checkpoint" training drill.

A police officer and friend of my father informed him about it, which is my original source. The rest comes from what I've dug up so far.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: August 15, 2012, 05:52:36 pm »

Speaking of hating the government and civil unrest, on the American side of things, some disturbing news coming through the pipes:

Several U.S. agencies, from the Department of Homeland Security, the Social Security Administration, and even weather-watching NOAA, have been requesting and stockpiling hundreds of thousands of hollow-point rounds, and distributing them to strategic locations all over the country. If you aren't familiar, hollow-point rounds are designed for tearing large holes in unarmored bodies. Adding to this, they've apparently also been requisitioning surveillance drones, the equipment to construct armored checkpoints and perimeters domestically, additional body armor for law-enforcement officials, and running "drills" at government facilities such as the Florida Social Security office, where soldiers have been practicing garrisoning and defending them. Heck, even non-military organizations like the National Weather Service are gearing up for conflict.

These requisitions have been going since last month, but have been ramping up recently, and it's only starting to become public today. I'm not one for the Tin-Foil Hat crowd, but if they really are requisitioning these "Training Supplies", it's pretty frightening news. It looks like the U.S. Government is preparing to put down and contain mass civil unrest.

Your source from rt.com claims that it's sourced from Reuters, but i can't find any non rt.com citations, which is weird, all other ones link back to rt.com, doesn't mean it's false but i can't verify that that's real news.

Here's all the Reuters articles from 13 aug 2012, the supposed date of the article about 750 million DHS ammo rounds:
http://www.reuters.com/news/archive/topNews?date=08132012
The cited articles from rt.com does not appear here, i might be missing something, but IDK, nobody else is referencing the story except from rt.com and I can't find it on reuters.

Solifuge, you're using Alex Jones as a source (infowars.com). Trust me they exaggerate or fabricate everything, like recently on reuters there was a story about how major banks were told to prepare "disaster plans" so they'd have a plan save themselves in case they went insolvent, and this was started in 2010.

EXCLUSIVE-U.S. banks told to make plans for preventing collapse. Aug 10

On infowars.com, this was mutated 1 day later, into a story where the big banks and government are conspiring to ochestrate a general collapse in Oct 2012 and then usher in martial law in anticipation of a foreign NWO takeover.
U.S Banks Told To Prepare For Total Collapse! Aug 11

Martial law is being prepared for a staged banking collapse in the late October.

I mean seriously, 1 day after the reuters article? but with a bunch of whacko stuff tacked on with no sources? COME ON INFOWARS!! The guy just steals Reuters press releases then mutates them with stuff from his own imagination. He's a fraud as I've mentioned before.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:17:07 pm by Reelya »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: August 15, 2012, 06:10:01 pm »

I'd have preferred to find and link the root of the stories, but a cursory Googling yielded that site with the most related links and such in a concise place. I can't vouch for it beyond a springboard to launch some fact-checking legwork.

Can't properly browse now but I suppose an alternate non-NWO Police State reason would be that the DHS is trying to prove it has a reason to exist, and is thus funding supplies for domestic defense against an imagined insurgency?
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 759