Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244375 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #2610 on: August 17, 2012, 01:38:42 pm »

I think it's more due to the fact that more and more people are gaining access to easy recording equipment and the ability to distribute videos and images. It's a lot harder to cover up or explain away such actions if there's video evidence posted and viral within hours of it happening.

And I had to know what to call Truean because otherwise the Jabba quote wouldn't have worked :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: August 17, 2012, 01:40:26 pm »

There's certainly a lot of truth to that. This greater degree of transparency and world-connectivity is something we need to fight for and preserve.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: August 17, 2012, 02:45:42 pm »

Well, we at least have the latter. The former we tend to only have because of said recording equipment, along with people generally taking pickaxes to government opacity. (With Wikileaks and its like being the boldest examples.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: August 17, 2012, 06:50:30 pm »

There's a lot of truth in what Sirus said. People like Cheney & Rumsfeld were involved in the Nixon and Reagan administrations, back when they could carpet bomb cambodia (Nixon) and wage wars or covert interventions in Latin America and pretty much control the flow of what news gets printed about the events.

With the Bush years I believe they tried "business as usual" of controlling information flow that worked up until the early 90's, but there's no more monopolistic mass media now, there's 1 billion channels on the internet. So, those Reagan/Bush people came back into power but hadn't adapted to 8 years of internet development.

A more successful strategy now would be to clog the critical channels with misinformation so that they become discredited (Alex Jones perhaps?)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 06:53:34 pm by Reelya »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: August 17, 2012, 07:13:02 pm »

Which leads us to the only logical conclusion. ALEX JONES IS AN ILLUMINATI PLANT! :o

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: August 17, 2012, 08:06:06 pm »

Female pronouns work here. Thanks. :) The fact that you guys try is wonderful in and of itself and I appreciate it.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: August 17, 2012, 08:08:42 pm »

Therefore, your feeble mind tricks will not work on me, girl! :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: August 17, 2012, 11:33:26 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/attorney-andrew-shirvell-ordered-pay-4-5-million-165621140--abc-news-topstories.html

Yup. "First amendment rights?" Are you kidding? You can't openly call someone a pedophile like that and purposefully try their life. It isn't ok that your "opinion" is that they rape children and seduce them to become gay when that's false....
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 11:35:39 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: August 17, 2012, 11:39:05 pm »

And he's going to pay $4.5 million over something he could've ended by apologising and retracting a few untrue statements?  Wow.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: August 18, 2012, 12:10:59 am »

Female pronouns work here. Thanks. :) The fact that you guys try is wonderful in and of itself and I appreciate it.
Yay thanks for clearing that up :)  I've been meaning to ask, but often forgetting or too shy to ask.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: August 18, 2012, 12:20:59 am »

And he even represented himself.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: August 18, 2012, 02:01:50 am »

Which leads us to the only logical conclusion. ALEX JONES IS AN ILLUMINATI PLANT! :o

google Alex Jones talking about the Koch Brothers or Israel. Suddenly he does a 180 degree turn and becomes Mr Skeptic.

He blasts anyone who criticizes either of these entities as crazy conspiracy nuts. (At least 29 of Alex Jones's advertisers are extremely wealthy Jewish interests, and my flatmate told me that the Koch Brothers are prominent Zionists).

Here's him on vid sucking Koch Bro dick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv9PiSsSnBE
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 02:03:34 am by Reelya »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: August 18, 2012, 03:02:38 am »

http://news.yahoo.com/attorney-andrew-shirvell-ordered-pay-4-5-million-165621140--abc-news-topstories.html

Yup. "First amendment rights?" Are you kidding? You can't openly call someone a pedophile like that and purposefully try their life. It isn't ok that your "opinion" is that they rape children and seduce them to become gay when that's false....
Err, um, wow.

Not much more to say to that. Glad this douchebag got called out on his harassment to the sum of 4.5 million.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: August 18, 2012, 06:44:19 am »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:11:59 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: August 18, 2012, 10:08:34 pm »

O the amount might be reduced a little on appeal through a process called remittitur. Still the message is a nice one.

There's been a traditional problem in the US concerning slander/liable of gay people. It is slander per se when you call someone a pedophile and it isn't true, because that shit ruins people's lives. Unfortunately, even today, GLBT people are often called this. It's kinda the reason the boy scouts won't let gays in.... In the past, it was seen as entirely OK to say this about gay people and people would've thought you were weird if you objected to this.... This wasn't odd, this was called Tuesday. It's tragic.

It's also another reason for gay people and kids being disowned by their parents. The idea was, you'd kick the gay one out of the house to protect all the others. There are actually old time public safety videos blaming gays for this and warning kids about it specifically. The irony being that parents who kick out their gay kids often wonder why they failed. The failure isn't from having a gay kid, but rather from kicking said kid out. Tragically, the law STILL often ignores it when people toss their gay kids out on the street and many times people  in power simply refuse to prosecute AND (Abuse Neglect and Desertion) cases and it's kind of one hell of a coincidence that the reason seems to be due to the kid being gay.
Err, care to quote any sources? Because I haven't heard of such things before.
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 759