Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247772 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #2910 on: September 17, 2012, 09:50:10 pm »

Heard of things like those before. Not quite sure what to think of them.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: September 17, 2012, 09:50:43 pm »

That's been around for a while.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: September 17, 2012, 09:51:15 pm »

Not a new invention. I'm not totally sure of its effectiveness, either; it doesn't seem like a good deterrent since any potential rapist could just remove it beforehand if they know about it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: September 17, 2012, 10:10:05 pm »

If someone wants to put something inside of themselves... to keep things from being put inside of themselves, I suppose that's their choice. I see this potentially causing a lot more problems than it would solve though. If someone or something is attacking you, you don't jab at them with a thumb tack. No matter how sensitive of an area you hit, that's just going to piss them off, and if you're already in a position of power imbalance, then it's not going to end well for the person wielding the tiny plastic spikes. You need something capable of incapacitating the attacker.

I also don't see how that would require emergency room care to remove. Unless you were exceedingly forceful at removing it, it looks more like a scissors and a bandage type thing.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: September 17, 2012, 10:11:37 pm »

Honestly, if it works, I'm pretty sure it'd be rather incapacitating :P

I'm just not sure it'd work.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: September 17, 2012, 10:33:48 pm »

I also don't see how that would require emergency room care to remove. Unless you were exceedingly forceful at removing it, it looks more like a scissors and a bandage type thing.

Junk bleeds... a lot.  I've heard testimony from an apartheid political prisoner that they killed one of his friends by nailing his penis to a table and letting him bleed to death.

Anyway... the device has a snopes page.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: September 18, 2012, 01:20:35 am »

At least it's not Teeth.

In any case, inducing bodily harm solves nothing. If it becomes common knowledge, what prevents them from removing it before the act?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: September 18, 2012, 01:24:46 am »

I don't see how it's different than any other form of self defense. Is it suddenly wrong to harm someone who's attacking you if you're harming their penis? The internet as a whole seems to think so.

I'm not exactly sure how a typical violent rape goes down, but I'm hoping that causing a rapist to have to check for one of these would open windows for the woman to fight back or escape.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: September 18, 2012, 01:31:25 am »

However you see it, fact is that it's a dick move.

Oh, the puns.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: September 18, 2012, 01:35:46 am »

The way I see it, it's sort of like people using razor wire to protect their home from burglars. It's overkill that can seriously harm someone; that they're doing something bad (or horrific, in this case) doesn't change that.

I don't see it quite as bad as the razor wire thing though. Ultimately I'd probably find it acceptable if all the other good practices for rape prevention are in place and it's just an added layer of protection. I'm still doubtful of its usefulness, though.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: September 18, 2012, 01:37:44 am »

I don't see how it's different than any other form of self defense. Is it suddenly wrong to harm someone who's attacking you if you're harming their penis? The internet as a whole seems to think so.

I'm not exactly sure how a typical violent rape goes down, but I'm hoping that causing a rapist to have to check for one of these would open windows for the woman to fight back or escape.
It's not the self defense part I'm arguing about. It's about curing the symptoms, not the cause. Another problem this device has is that once the trap is triggered, the rapist might get aggravated and turn the situation from rape to assault.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: September 18, 2012, 01:49:35 am »

I dunno. I think I'd be more concerned with the thing shredding my (stereotypical male mode gooo...) most important body part to try and attack the woman I had just attempted to rape. That thing looks quite painful (assuming it, y'know, actually works) and that's a sensitive area.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: September 18, 2012, 02:02:46 am »

Hence "might". Pain threshold is individual.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: September 18, 2012, 02:32:41 am »

The way I see it, it's sort of like people using razor wire to protect their home from burglars. It's overkill that can seriously harm someone; that they're doing something bad (or horrific, in this case) doesn't change that.

You think it is a bad thing because people who throw themselves into it might get hurt? I mean I can understand doubts about how effect it really it, we will have to let history see. But if it is effective at stopping more harm to victims then it causes, who cares how much harm it does to the aggressor?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: September 18, 2012, 03:06:05 am »

I don't care much for retribution.
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 759