Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244296 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #3150 on: September 24, 2012, 04:49:48 pm »

* Vorthon would like to take this moment to express his desire to no longer be an occupant of this planetary body.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: September 24, 2012, 06:37:13 pm »

Even if there were armed men, there were unarmed men, and killing the whole fucking block because of it isn't justifiable. Furthermore, being armed doesn't automatically mean you're hunting American soldiers.
It was a group of armed men and a man peeking around the corner towards a group of Americans. He was pointing a camera, but that isn't obvious from the video, and their believing it to be an RPG seems like an honest mistake to me.

Basically what Nadaka said mixed with what sluissa said.
I don't buy it. Even a very large camera is not comparable to a RPG-6 in size. Hell, there was an RPG-6 amongst them, which the camera was clearly not the same as.

Only two of the men were armed. If you have two armed men and a bunch of unarmed men standing around them, do you know what is not an appropriate response? 30 mm cannon fire. Shooting said cannon at the unarmed ones while they tried to run or crawl away. Lying to your operator that a van is collecting weapons so you can shoot at it too.

Furthermore, the United States Armed Forces pride themselves upon efficiency and professionalism more than almost anything else, and so I expect such standards as not shooting journalists and children to be enforced. As an occupying force, these men are responsible for the safety of civilians. That is the responsibility one takes on when they occupy another nation, even if that nation's people despise them.

I supported the Iraq War because I thought I could count on our military do get shit done correctly.

If you expect the military to get shit done correctly, then you're sadly mistaken.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: September 25, 2012, 04:01:27 am »

Here's a bit of feminism-worthy news: New Mexico governor joins in on the redefinition of rape to deny women benefits

"Forcible rape" is back in the news, this time in New Mexico, where the administration of Governor Susana Martinez is proposing to require a "forcible rape" means-test for women seeking childcare assistance.

Yup... "You weren't really raped, you welfare leech!"
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: September 25, 2012, 05:03:43 am »

http://news.yahoo.com/romney-interview-says-tax-rate-fair-033140287.html
http://news.yahoo.com/why-plane-windows-dont-roll-down-romney-221323006.html

Really? How does this man have a legit chance at the Presidency? He is the logical result of the pandering we've done to the spoiled in this country who think their checkbook equals their IQ and that they should always have their way. No, the customer is NOT always right and is in fact, often wrong. There is a reason we don't let people roll down the damn airplane windows no matter how much the morons want to.... The fact that you are purchasing something does not should not automatically mean you can a.) always be considered correct no matter how wrong you are, and b.) get away with being a total and complete jerk. Unfortunately, that's exactly how it works out in real life....

And, as for a fair tax rate... 14%? Really? And that's just what he'll admit to. Who knows how little he paid in previous years. I really don't see what "small business" Romney has started with his 14% lower tax rate. I don't see how he's hired anybody. What company has he invested in that has hired anybody? It's the fuzzy math/broken logic that I.) Rich people employ people. II.) Rich people that have more money employ more people. III.) Give rich people more money and they will employ more people. This just blatantly ignores every other possible use of money.... It also ignores that they're hiring people... in China. The cure for everything can't be lower taxes or no taxes. That's like holding up a sugar pill as the cure for all ills without saying HOW it will cure all ills. It's a placebo.

His 14% on 21 million is fair...and those who didn't pay federal taxes last year, are useless and not worth his time.... He has spoken. [sigh] Veterans, elderly.... When Biden, the king of dumb gaffs, is on you about gaffs, you screwed up.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 05:06:50 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3154 on: September 25, 2012, 09:45:06 am »

14% is by no means fair. A flat tax would have to be in the 25% to 30% range to pay for the federal government. And we do not have a flat tax for good reasons. 25% of $30k a year is devastating, while 25% of $150k a year is merely inconvenient and 25% of $21 million a year need never really be felt at all. Any wealthy person paying less than that is not even close to paying a fair rate.

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: September 25, 2012, 10:58:30 am »

This is going to be a little long. For those who aren't bothered, have this.

For anyone who is interested;

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: September 25, 2012, 11:06:42 am »

Personally, I find laughing at having just slaughtered 15 people exceedingly fucked up. And, "Oh well" is not an acceptable response to having shot two children. The fact that he did that does not help my perception of that as a honest mistake.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: September 25, 2012, 11:08:42 am »

It's the same problem I have with "bad cops" - my problem isn't so much with the individual, but with the system that tells them this sort of behaviour is acceptable.

The US has a severe discipline problem in it's military.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: September 25, 2012, 03:48:56 pm »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57520009-503544/romney-teacher-contributions-to-politicians-should-be-limited/

I don't even know. I mean is it "free speech" to make political contributions if you're a company, but not if you're ... say ... a teacher? I mean an individual....

"(CBS News) Republican nominee Mitt Romney said Tuesday that Democratic politicians have a conflict of interest in dealing with teacher unions because the unions contribute so heavily to their campaigns. He suggested that money should somehow be diverted or cut off, although he did not offer details."

So by that logic, if you simply flipped things around, could you say that Republican politicians have a conflict of interest in dealing with business interests because the businesses contribute so heavily to their campaigns?

Shoe wouldn't look so good on the other foot would it, Mr. Romney?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: September 25, 2012, 04:06:39 pm »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57520009-503544/romney-teacher-contributions-to-politicians-should-be-limited/

I don't even know. I mean is it "free speech" to make political contributions if you're a company, but not if you're ... say ... a teacher? I mean an individual....

Well, you know how it goes: "Four legs good, two legs bad" becomes "Four legs good, two legs better". Corporations deserve the same rights as people. Then after they get them, they deserve MORE rights than people.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: September 25, 2012, 04:07:44 pm »

Well, you know how it goes: "Four legs good, two legs bad" becomes "Four legs good, two legs better". Corporations deserve the same rights as people. Then after they get them, they deserve MORE rights than people.
That book is wonderful.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: September 25, 2012, 04:27:34 pm »

14% is by no means fair. A flat tax would have to be in the 25% to 30% range to pay for the federal government. And we do not have a flat tax for good reasons. 25% of $30k a year is devastating, while 25% of $150k a year is merely inconvenient and 25% of $21 million a year need never really be felt at all. Any wealthy person paying less than that is not even close to paying a fair rate.

Frankly, if you advocate a flat tax, it should be a flat tax of 0%.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: September 25, 2012, 05:38:12 pm »

It's the same problem I have with "bad cops" - my problem isn't so much with the individual, but with the system that tells them this sort of behaviour is acceptable.

The US has a severe discipline problem in it's military.

Frankly, i think a lot of this can be boiled down to the degree of autonomy in a traditional military, there is just not enough in place to hold it responsible to a public. Military forces need to be more closely surveyed and actually held accountable for heinous actions. If a society is truly going to perform as a democratic entity, that entity needs to be able to see what the fuck it's own hands in the world are doing.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3163 on: September 25, 2012, 05:48:31 pm »

1: what is your reasoning for that? That sounds like a horrible idea. The only way to pay for government would be through inflation.

2: I would only advocate a flat tax if the social welfare system was massively better than it is. It would have to be practically utopian where everyone basic needs are met at virtually no cost.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: September 25, 2012, 06:24:05 pm »

1: what is your reasoning for that? That sounds like a horrible idea. The only way to pay for government would be through inflation.

2: I would only advocate a flat tax if the social welfare system was massively better than it is. It would have to be practically utopian where everyone basic needs are met at virtually no cost.

The Federal government ran a sizable surplus and had a booming economy back before it had an income tax. It's not like there aren't other ways to pay for government programs. Plus, the IRS and enforcement of the income tax uses a lot of money in of itself. Not as much as it earns, mind, but the loss wouldn't be as massive as it could be.

Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 759