Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247155 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #3825 on: November 01, 2012, 03:07:00 pm »

And when judges make a mistake and apply the death penalty, innocent dies.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: November 01, 2012, 03:09:33 pm »

Invariably mistakes will be made, but just make sure your preventative measures aren't worse than what you're trying to prevent.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: November 01, 2012, 04:53:44 pm »

There is an actual "life without parole" punishment in the UK.  As in, you're never ever going to be considered for release unless your convictions are quashed.  That's the alternative to the death penalty.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: November 01, 2012, 04:57:13 pm »

There is an actual "life without parole" punishment in the UK.  As in, you're never ever going to be considered for release unless your convictions are quashed.  That's the alternative to the death penalty.
....That isn't present in other places? It's present in the US, at least.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: November 01, 2012, 05:02:33 pm »

From the way Sirus was talking I assumed they didn't have them in his area.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: November 01, 2012, 05:03:37 pm »

From the way Sirus was talking I assumed they didn't have them in his area.
Pretty sure they do. Problem is I'm not sure where the dividing line between "life with possibility of parole" and "life without parole" lies. If Manson can get parole, how bad do you have to be to not get it?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: November 01, 2012, 05:06:11 pm »

Sometimes it isn't a matter of badness. It is usually the judge's prerogative.

Anyway, Manson can't get parole. He is eligible for it, but he'll never get it.

Brevik, on the other hand, will never get released since he's so fucking crazy that it would never be appropriate to, and thus none of his reviews will ever pass.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: November 05, 2012, 01:26:06 pm »

So, as the election is tomorrow, there are four ballot measures concerning LGBT rights that need to be monitored.
BALLOT MEASURES TO LEGALIZE SAME SEX MARRIAGE (Basically, "Yes" is the desired result for progressives on these three ballot measures)
Maine
Question 1 would overturn the same sex marriage ban in the state if it passes.
Maryland
Question 6 determines whether or not to uphold same sex marriage law passed by the legislature earlier this year.
Washington
Referendum 74 would determine whether same sex marriage would be legal in the state.

BALLOT MEASURE TO BAN SAME SEX MARRIAGE
Minnesota
Amendment to ban same sex marriage.  Hoping for a "No" victory here.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: November 05, 2012, 01:44:26 pm »

I disagree on the euthanasia front for one of the same reasons i disagree with the death penalty front unless under exceptional circumstances, which is a "next" is far from guaranteed and their lifetime is the only chance you have of having them understand what they've done. No opt outs in any shape or form, but that does not mean no kindness.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: November 05, 2012, 01:51:34 pm »

Brevik, on the other hand, will never get released since he's so fucking crazy that it would never be appropriate to, and thus none of his reviews will ever pass.

Never say never. Though it's highly unlikely, it might be possible. Got something similair in Belgium with the whole Dutroux case (which caused the reform of most of the Belgian justice and police systems). While there were nowhere near that amount of victims (nor is the case comparable) you'd say they'd never get him or his wife released. Guess what happened earlier this year. (Though there was a lot of public protest about it, and she was only let go provided she'd take up residence in a cloister order).

I do approve of that though, people deserve a second chance.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: November 05, 2012, 01:52:31 pm »

Preventing someone from ending their life is basically the complete obliteration of bodily autonomy and express tyranny of one's will over another. People have the right to many plenty of other life altering decisions, why not give them the most important one?

Mind you, I honestly think we should move towards legalizing self-suicide before worrying about the euthanasia stuff. Allow doctors to set up a situation where a patient can self-administer, for example.

but that does not mean no kindness.
If you say I have no choice but to suffer for months in unbearable agony, or remain almost completely unconscious via drugs, all the while piling hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt on my family, expressly in opposition to my desires, "for my own good" - yes, an absence of kindness (or any shred of decency, respect, or recognition of my rights as a human being) is very much the result.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: November 05, 2012, 01:59:31 pm »

10ebbor10, his wife had a lighter sentence, and there is a rational for freeing her (Namely that she was unde rhis influence). Dutroux will never, ever get out. He was condemned with a specific clause that allow the government to keep him longer if deemed necessary, and no government ever is going to free Dutroux.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: November 05, 2012, 02:04:38 pm »

10ebbor10, his wife had a lighter sentence, and there is a rational for freeing her (Namely that she was unde rhis influence). Dutroux will never, ever get out. He was condemned with a specific clause that allow the government to keep him longer if deemed necessary, and no government ever is going to free Dutroux.
I know, just saying. Nothing is permanent. (Also, he did escape once, which was what resulted in the whole result stuff.)

As for people never getting out, we'll see. Don't be sure of everything. Also, there's no specific clause, just lifelong sentence, which is indeed for the rest of your live. (Actually, it's that +10 years ...)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: November 05, 2012, 02:05:43 pm »

Well I doubt that they'll keep him in there post-mortem. Right?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3839 on: November 05, 2012, 02:06:38 pm »

That may be the case for Dutroux. But for Breivik, he may be released if his message is successful and his country descends to radical nationalism.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 759