Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247112 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #4350 on: January 07, 2013, 03:57:50 pm »

http://science.slashdot.org/story/13/01/07/1920204/americas-real-criminal-element-lead

Interesting. It lead contamination and its reduction is strongly correlated with violent crime rates worldwide.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: January 07, 2013, 04:18:19 pm »

http://science.slashdot.org/story/13/01/07/1920204/americas-real-criminal-element-lead

Interesting. It lead contamination and its reduction is strongly correlated with violent crime rates worldwide.
Less lead in people resulted in...well, people shooting less lead at other people?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4352 on: January 07, 2013, 04:25:32 pm »

Less lead in people resulted in...well, people shooting less lead at other people?
yep
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: January 07, 2013, 05:13:10 pm »

yep
They say it's because of leaded gasoline.

Seems weird, could be true though. Heavy metals are funky like that.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: January 07, 2013, 05:28:22 pm »

Why does it seem weird?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: January 07, 2013, 05:37:36 pm »

From the article:
if you overlay a map showing areas with higher incidence of violent crime with one showing lead contamination, there's a strikingly high correlation

.. which is interesting but not really surprising because:
1.) if you overlay a map showing areas with higher incidence of violent crime with one showing low income areas, there's a strikingly high correlation
2.) if you overlay a map showing areas with low income with one showing lead contamination, there's a strikingly high correlation

So I'd say it may boil down to: being affected by lead contamination is a sign of low socio-economic status (SES) which leads to more violent crime. Basically you could as well match poor grades in math with high violence (low education->low SES)
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: January 07, 2013, 05:41:15 pm »

Yeah, it's one of those cases where the correlation seems plausible enough to make you think, but the use of statistics to support it isn't very well executed.  Statistical correlation can be shown for all kinds of ridiculous things.  Often it just points to another thing that relates to both subjects in the correlation.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: January 07, 2013, 06:43:12 pm »

While it's true for the map, they did account for income in their other model.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: January 07, 2013, 08:33:15 pm »

I think it's possible there are factors that make you more likely to be poisoned by lead that are the same as factors for gun violence. It's not necessarily causation.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: January 08, 2013, 01:14:59 am »

Like being drenched in leaded gasoline ?

Lead is knows for health issues, especially with kids. Saying that lead contamined children are more prone to criminality is far fetched.

I call BS on this, because it's just linking some statistics for no reason whatsoever. Some statistics can even be considered false, compared to other statistics (what I mean is, you can't prove a theory just by showing some statistics). I'm even impressed that they are trying to link crime per capita to demographic growth (when they are trying to show that crimes went down even with population increasing, although that has nothing to do with lead).

It also doesn't explain the growth of criminality, it would have meant a plateau, not a constant increase/decrease.

And, it's strictly USA, there is some countries with a higher rate of lead in blood than America, and still a lower criminality. There is places with different situations (about lead and criminality). Reading the original study (2007, but the original idea was from 200), it also dismissed NY and some other state.
(And I'm talking about the industrialized countries that had this increase of criminality in the 1950s).

At best, as misko said, there are some factors that are the same for lead contamination and criminality (which is much more close to what's said in the studies rather than the "news").

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #4360 on: January 08, 2013, 01:41:19 am »

I've updated the OP so it's more helpful to people first encountering it, messed with the rules a bit, and took my name out of the thread title since I don't think it's necessary anymore. I was considering changing the rest of the name, but "Halcyon and Harmonious Humanist Harangue Haven" wasn't quite as clear as the current title.

Spoiler: old OP, archived (click to show/hide)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: January 08, 2013, 07:44:18 am »

Actually, here is a lengthier article about the same studie, where they seems to address most of your concerns.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: January 08, 2013, 09:01:57 am »

Actually, here is a lengthier article about the same studie, where they seems to address most of your concerns.
I already read it, and nope, nothing.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: January 08, 2013, 09:11:49 am »

Alright time for me to think about things for once.. not that i do this al the time, but in a serious fashion.

It feels like democracy is having its retreat, and that corperations are given more and more pwoer each day.

Another thing i have been pondering about is where the hell is all the money going? Why is US in debt?
I know, war, and war. But still, it cant all be war. Where the fuck is the economy going?

Bah.. and what will happen once economy goes completely to shit and the world market crashes?
WHAT WILL HAPPEN
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: January 08, 2013, 10:44:25 am »

You mean like in 2007? We bail out the banks and impose austerity.

Re: lead, they do say they ran the test in other countries. They're also not claiming that lead is the sole cause of criminality, but one explaining factors among many. As for the growth, apparently leaded gasoline used grew constantly until it was banned then fell down, so it explain the raise in criminality as well.

Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 759