Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244290 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #4380 on: January 08, 2013, 08:43:30 pm »

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/rescued-bailout-g-may-sue-033020853.html

So we bailed out the insurance companies who were incredibly irresponsible, but we should've given them even more at better terms.... The shareholders were "deprived" of profits... from a company that was going rather bankrupt and we had to save in order to keep it from bankruptcy.... So even when the overt greed, and stupid pursuit of profit drive a company to bankruptcy, the people buying the stock should still make money....

I have no words....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: January 08, 2013, 08:46:06 pm »

I've been deprived of profit my whole life.  Where's my free stuff?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4382 on: January 08, 2013, 09:16:34 pm »

I'm running a net loss, I DEMAND money! *checks food stamps balance* Not good enough.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4383 on: January 09, 2013, 06:53:19 am »

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/rescued-bailout-g-may-sue-033020853.html

So we bailed out the insurance companies who were incredibly irresponsible, but we should've given them even more at better terms.... The shareholders were "deprived" of profits... from a company that was going rather bankrupt and we had to save in order to keep it from bankruptcy.... So even when the overt greed, and stupid pursuit of profit drive a company to bankruptcy, the people buying the stock should still make money....

I have no words....

I have words related to this, but I'm certainly not going to speak them in polite company.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: January 09, 2013, 12:51:29 pm »

Do they really have a chance in court? There are laws that make this a real possibility?
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: January 09, 2013, 01:04:17 pm »

Just and justice are two different things - if they had no chance, they wouldn't be spending money on lawyers.

BTW, have you heard about the ruling in the case of that Texan girl? Judge said it was alright for her to be suspended from school.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: January 09, 2013, 01:08:00 pm »

My understanding is that the Judge said if she wanted to attend the school she had to comply with its policies (this particular one designed to drive up attendance in order to prevent the school losing funding - which seems an odd way to fund a school if you ask me), but that she was free to seek another if she so wished. Of course, the policy stinks of "Automatically Guilty in my Eyes Syndrome", but still...
This is a blank sig.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: January 09, 2013, 05:03:11 pm »

Wow, that was quick.

Who says hate never solves anything?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: January 10, 2013, 04:08:55 am »

What was that Texan case?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: January 10, 2013, 08:55:37 am »

Just and justice are two different things - if they had no chance, they wouldn't be spending money on lawyers.

The principle difference is that one word is a noun and the other is an adjective; other than that, they ought to be the same. The problem is when you allow a government system to hijack a word for its own legitimacy. I'm careful to refer to the legal system as such, not the "justice" system.

Also some countries with a current higher rate of lead still have a lower criminality. Just look a China, which has a desastrous politics in terms of lead, and still one of the lower criminality of the world.

Don't belief any stats from China, including such frequent citations as GDP growth, unemployment, national debt, or crime rates. You can't know anything about China from the outside.

Crime is bad in China. Coworker robbed two weeks ago, wife almost robbed a few days ago, dragged 20 fucking feet by a punk on a motorbike before my eyes. Everyone I talk to says crime is bad. They don't get asked by officials making the data. Pickpockets thick as fleas on the buses. My own wallet lifted twice. 

China executes 10,000 people a year for various offenses. That's a good way to keep violent crime down, but the incidents of non-capital offense are pretty ubiquitous. Murders aren't that rare, either.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: January 11, 2013, 03:25:39 pm »

And now schools are pushing the liberal agenda on children by teaching algebra.  I don't even... I don't even... augh.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4392 on: January 11, 2013, 03:53:39 pm »

And now schools are pushing the liberal agenda on children by teaching algebra.  I don't even... I don't even... augh.

Algebra? Sounds like Al'Queda to me!

And the end of that article is priceless, the 2 examples they gave as liberal indoctrination in school was a disregard for climate change denialism and the idea that no weapons of mass destruction were found in the iraq war.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4393 on: January 11, 2013, 04:04:51 pm »

FOX is the WWE of news networks. In that their biggest fans are much the same demographic, and mostly because that demographic actually believes what they're watching.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4394 on: January 11, 2013, 04:06:53 pm »

I don't think most pro wrestling fans actually believe it's real. That hasn't been the case for almost 30 years now. It is just an entertaining performance, not unlike classical theater.

Yes, I just compared pro wrestling to classical theater.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 759