Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247419 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #4395 on: January 11, 2013, 04:10:51 pm »

I don't think most pro wrestling fans actually believe it's real. That hasn't been the case for almost 30 years now. It is just an entertaining performance, not unlike classical theater.

Yes, I just compared pro wrestling to classical theater.

With less elbow drops.
This is a blank sig.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: January 11, 2013, 04:12:40 pm »

I don't think most pro wrestling fans actually believe it's real. That hasn't been the case for almost 30 years now. It is just an entertaining performance, not unlike classical theater.

Yes, I just compared pro wrestling to classical theater.

With less elbow drops.
Less violence in general. Unless it's Shakespeare, in which case murder and debauchery are in every other line.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4397 on: January 11, 2013, 04:18:51 pm »

I think I may have seen a performance of a Shakespeare play in a wrestling ring at some point, but i may be blocking that memory for some reason.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: January 11, 2013, 04:21:30 pm »

Aannnndddd now I'm thinking of a homoerotic Romeo and Juliet done inside a wrestling ring with the entire (all male) cast being the wrestlers. There would be elbow drops and junk (heeheehee).

Considering they used to do the whole all-male casts anyway, it's not as much of a stretch (ahahahahahahahahahaha) as it might be.

Really though, a lot of classical theatre was pretty damn violent. Shakespeare didn't even remotely have a monopoly on that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: January 11, 2013, 04:23:18 pm »

Yes, but I think he holds the record. Hamlet only has two living named characters at the end, one of whom only has a couple of lines in the entire play.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #4400 on: January 11, 2013, 04:26:26 pm »

Speaking of things that aren't real... apparently a lot of debate on the internet:
http://consciouslifenews.com/paid-internet-shill-shadowy-groups-manipulate-internet-opinion-debate/1147073/

We saw one on the election megathread promoting Mitt awhile back, so shouldn't come as a surprise.  Now I just need to figure out how to get paid to be a super-liberal shill...
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: January 11, 2013, 04:27:11 pm »

Yes, but I think he holds the record. Hamlet only has two living named characters at the end, one of whom only has a couple of lines in the entire play.
Naah, there's got to be a few that had total party wipes by the end of it. Comedies or parodies if nothing else. Mind you, I can't remember any because it's been a while since I've interacted with theater in any way (and wasn't exactly invested even then), but I'd be really surprised if they weren't out there. Lot of those old plays were pretty hardcore, honestly. The entertainment biz hasn't changed all that much over the centuries, in some ways.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: January 11, 2013, 04:32:17 pm »

I think I may have seen a performance of a Shakespeare play in a wrestling ring at some point, but i may be blocking that memory for some reason.
It's part of the opening act of "As You Like It" the male lead wins a wrestling competition which leads to him seeing this girl that he experience love at first sight for. Which leads to a bunch of positively ridiculous antics.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: January 11, 2013, 04:39:50 pm »

Shakespeare should have added sections in-between acts where major characters come up and monologue some smack about how the other person is totally going down next week at the Globe, in ye olde no-holds-barred matche of yon cages.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: January 11, 2013, 04:44:10 pm »

It's part of the opening act of "As You Like It" the male lead wins a wrestling competition which leads to him seeing this girl that he experience love at first sight for. Which leads to a bunch of positively ridiculous antics.
Saw that one on a cool summers night in the park.

God, I need to go back there again.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: January 11, 2013, 05:20:10 pm »

I dunno, in terms of actual deaths, Titus Andronicus might be able to give Hamlet a run for its money.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: January 11, 2013, 06:10:19 pm »

We saw one on the election megathread promoting Mitt awhile back, so shouldn't come as a surprise.  Now I just need to figure out how to get paid to be a super-liberal shill...
Ugh, did I forget to send you the memo?

Some of these groups operate pretty openly, in particular the pro-Israel ones.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: January 11, 2013, 06:47:04 pm »

Are we sure this guy was paid to promote Mitt or is this just a way to dismiss people who disagree with you?

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #4408 on: January 11, 2013, 08:07:30 pm »

Well, it was this dude: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=83703
His one post unfortunately has been removed so I cannot point to the obviousness of it, other than perhaps his name. See from http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=98262.msg3620592#msg3620592

Edit: wait... along these same lines, if wrestling is fake for entertainment, and classical theatre is fake for entertainment, and online discussions are all fake... does this mean that a majority of fans of the Wrestling Super Classical Theatre Extravaganza (the only way people would consume classical literature) would all be hired shills to further promote the characters and go 'omgz its realz' ?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 08:11:43 pm by Moghjubar »
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: January 11, 2013, 08:14:16 pm »

Man that was a really great time for the election thread.  There are still some fragments of what he said left in other people's quotes - he was mainly talking about all the polls being skewed iirc.
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 759