Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247320 times)

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #4590 on: January 22, 2013, 06:38:17 pm »

You have to correlate both brain size and brain to body size, as a bigger body necessarily requires a bigger brain.
... does it? Didn't some of the largest land based creatures our world has seen have rather impressively small brains?
Elephants have a 4-6kg brain (human 1.3kg) but they have the smallest brain/body ratio for mammals (with mouses the highest).

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: January 22, 2013, 06:41:10 pm »

Elephants are still very intelligent though.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #4592 on: January 23, 2013, 12:21:09 am »

Mmm.... robo-burgers: http://singularityhub.com/2013/01/22/robot-serves-up-340-hamburgers-per-hour/

I guess there goes Neanderbaby's employment chances.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: January 23, 2013, 12:38:00 am »

One every ten seconds. Awesome.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: January 23, 2013, 12:41:13 am »

That's pretty cool~
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: January 23, 2013, 04:05:45 am »

Yeah, the point is that inter-specific intelligence difference are much bigger than intra-specific difference. A guy with an IQ of 75 may be damn dumb, but he's still going to outsmart them magpie any time of the day.

While brain-to-body-size ratio tell us that Neanderthals were pretty smart by animal standard (they used advanced tools, that kind of stuff), my guess is that they'd still be pretty dumb by human standard. What you're going to do is create a whole new species of retards. (It's not insulting if the guys' been dead for over 40,000 years, right?)

They're either going to end up in specialized institutions, or in a brand new Neanderthal Reservations somewhere where they'll enjoy all the benefits of alcoholism.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: January 23, 2013, 05:32:46 am »

Mmm.... robo-burgers: http://singularityhub.com/2013/01/22/robot-serves-up-340-hamburgers-per-hour/

I guess there goes Neanderbaby's employment chances.

So... we need to get on this thing where we figure out how a person can justify their own survival without a job.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: January 23, 2013, 05:43:49 am »

You could discuss the useability of IQ tests though.

Try discussing it with someone with an IQ of 50.

Someone with an IQ of 50 would be pretty hard.

Though to my knowledge Neanderthals are still smarter then IQ 50. Heck APES are smarter then 50 IQ and Neanderthals are supposed to be smarter then even that (heck some scientists say they didn't EXACTLY die out but rather they bred with us to extinction).

As said before, stuff hints that they aren't really capable of abstract thought

That sounds incredibly made up. Not by you mind you, but by a scientist.

We lacked several very basic concepts back then too.

Even Gorillas have abstract thought.

Honestly it sounds like someone out there is making things up about Neanderthals JUST to make humans seem "special".

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: January 23, 2013, 06:04:25 am »

I'm highly skeptical of the "Neanderthal's were stoopid!" arguments, because they've been around so long (over 100 years), and as one line of argument is debunked, they come up with another incompatible line of argument try to try and 'prove' the same argument.

Basically there's an agenda to prove we won solely because we were smarter, and I've seen them constantly recreating the same argument with totally different lines of reasoning, as each previous argument was defeated - almost never backed up by any observational evidence. In this case, the thing they're trying to prove clearly predates any actual evidence, and seems to be unfalsifiable, because it gets recreated with a new theory every time it gets debunked.

Interestingly enough, most of the arguments I've heard about neanderthals being unintelligent sub-human are extremely similar to the 19th century arguments that said the Australian Aboriginals were unintelligent sub-humans. The same evolutionary superiority was touted as the reason the English settled and dominated over the Australian native population.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: January 23, 2013, 06:14:48 am »

Well, I believe in the Great Leap forward theory, that around 50,000 thousands years ago, something put us on a road of incredibly fast technologic progression. That's when we invented the boat, the net, the handle, the needle and pretty much everything more complicated than a sharp rock. Whatever it was that made us progress, Neanderthal don't seem to have it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: January 23, 2013, 06:15:51 am »

If you want to be technical Sheb we have Neanderthal DNA in us.

So whatever intelligence sucking effect it had, it obviously didn't have enough of it.

most of the arguments I've heard about neanderthals being unintelligent sub-human are extremely similar to the 19th century arguments that said the Australian Aboriginals were unintelligent sub-humans.

that would explain why their depiction is VERY close to the depiction of them.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: January 23, 2013, 06:18:54 am »

Well, I believe in the Great Leap forward theory, that around 50,000 thousands years ago, something put us on a road of incredibly fast technologic progression. That's when we invented the boat, the net, the handle, the needle and pretty much everything more complicated than a sharp rock. Whatever it was that made us progress, Neanderthal don't seem to have it.

I was hoping you'd come up with something better than that. This is the exact argument of why the "white man" is racially superior to all other races. Clearly we were racially superior to the africans and aboriginals, right? Same technological argument.

Technological advancement is the colonial superiority argument.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 06:26:43 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: January 23, 2013, 06:26:31 am »

It could have just been coincidence and that the Neanderthals that didn't breed with humans (and become what we call humans) died out the same way people die out.

That our survival was much more fragile then we thought and Neanderthals just didn't win the survival lottery.

OR that eventually they bred with us to extinction.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: January 23, 2013, 06:29:44 am »

There is actually one big difference between Neanderthals and Humans that is actually based in evidence. Bone analysis shows that Neanderthals were pretty much carnivores (99% meat diet, although new evidence shows they cooked vegetables, the bone studies still suggest they mainly ate meat) whilst Cro-Magnon man was an omnivore (50% meat, 50% plants).

This leads to a possible theory that Cro-Magnons out-bred the Neanderthals due to exploiting more resources from the same area of land. Nothing to do with intelligence, and everything to do with lifestyle.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 06:32:01 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: January 23, 2013, 06:33:10 am »

Yep being a Carnivour would actually do it.

Omnivour, along with humans MANY other advantages over ordinary animals that people forget, allowed us to increase the variety of foods we could eat by vast amounts.

Actually who the heck propagated the idea that humans are the most pathetic animal in all of nature and we ONLY survive because of our intelligence because otherwise we are too weak and pathetic to do anything? It is actually REALLY untrue.

If I had to name the Human being's one major physical advantage over most animals it would be! Stamina. We are absolutely built for stamina.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 06:37:19 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 759