Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247336 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #4605 on: January 23, 2013, 06:40:59 am »

Yep being a Carnivour would actually do it.

Omnivour, along with humans MANY other advantages over ordinary animals that people forget, allowed us to increase the variety of foods we could eat by vast amounts.

Actually who the heck propagated the idea that humans are the most pathetic animal in all of nature and we ONLY survive because of our intelligence because otherwise we are too weak and pathetic to do anything? It is actually REALLY untrue.

If I had to name the Human being's one major physical advantage over most animals it would be! Stamina. We are absolutely built for stamina.

Yeah, we're actually pretty hardcore.  We're not the strongest or fastest creatures, but our adaptability is ridiculous and not just intelligence-based.  Plus stamina.  Supposedly the most ancient form hunting is to chase prey until it dies of heat exhaustion, because we could just do that.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: January 23, 2013, 06:42:07 am »

Yup Reelya, the problem is that since you can't have a Neanderthal pass an IQ test, you have to use the best proxies you get. Which aren't great, but hey.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: January 23, 2013, 06:43:05 am »

Yup Reelya, the problem is that since you can't have a Neanderthal pass an IQ test, you have to use the best proxies you get. Which aren't great, but hey.

What proxy? We don't even have the next best Proxy for humans.

Is it humans? because we would be the closest proxy. You have to go through soo many animals before you even get to another animal that still exists.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 06:49:15 am by Neonivek »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: January 23, 2013, 06:53:04 am »

Well, let's put it this way: even a dumb human is much smarter than a chimp for exemple. The difference between species tends to be so large, that it'd be really surprising if they were exactly as smart as we are.

And I don't care if I sound like prehistoric Hitler.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: January 23, 2013, 06:57:02 am »

Well to my knowledge Neanderthals are only 2 deviations from us (less if you consider our breeding together).

The differences between Neanderthals and humans could, in the end, be more comparible to the differences between Cayotees and Wolves then that between a person and a chimp.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: January 23, 2013, 07:04:49 am »

Well, let's put it this way: even a dumb human is much smarter than a chimp for exemple. The difference between species tends to be so large, that it'd be really surprising if they were exactly as smart as we are.

It's not even clear that they are in fact a different species. They are often classified as a subspecies of homo sapiens. You could have a baby with a neanderthal.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: January 23, 2013, 07:06:16 am »

It's not even clear that they are in fact a different species. They are often classified as a subspecies of homo sapiens. You could have a baby with a neanderthal.

and unlike a Horse and a Donkey your baby would be fully capable of reproduction.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: January 23, 2013, 07:19:23 am »

Exactly as smart? Definitely not. Close to our level? Quite possible: Just compare two species of monkeys that are as far from each other as the Neanderthals and us.
Yep being a Carnivour would actually do it.

Omnivour, along with humans MANY other advantages over ordinary animals that people forget, allowed us to increase the variety of foods we could eat by vast amounts.

Actually who the heck propagated the idea that humans are the most pathetic animal in all of nature and we ONLY survive because of our intelligence because otherwise we are too weak and pathetic to do anything? It is actually REALLY untrue.

If I had to name the Human being's one major physical advantage over most animals it would be! Stamina. We are absolutely built for stamina.

Yeah, we're actually pretty hardcore.  We're not the strongest or fastest creatures, but our adaptability is ridiculous and not just intelligence-based.  Plus stamina.  Supposedly the most ancient form hunting is to chase prey until it dies of heat exhaustion, because we could just do that.
Humans are like cockroaches: Easily squished, but we tend to stick around, come what may. We just don't give up - on several occasions ridiculous amounts of people were killed, and still we - as a species or population - survived.
Just look at the concentration camps, or China during the Great Leap, or the Thirty Year's war. We're one tough breed, that's for sure.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: January 23, 2013, 08:00:52 am »

As said before, stuff hints that they aren't really capable of abstract thought

That sounds incredibly made up. Not by you mind you, but by a scientist.

We lacked several very basic concepts back then too.

Even Gorillas have abstract thought.

Honestly it sounds like someone out there is making things up about Neanderthals JUST to make humans seem "special".

Yeah, just a note about that. I adressed that statement in previous posts, and supported it, but as I tried to mention before, it's outdated. Turns out the premise (Ie, there being significant differences in the size of frontal lobes) from which operated was false because the sample it was based on was to small or something.

If you want to be technical Sheb we have Neanderthal DNA in us.

So whatever intelligence sucking effect it had, it obviously didn't have enough of it.
This is actually quite questionable. Some research seems to show that modern humans and Neanderthaler interbred, but archeological evidence shows that Neanderthaler and humans weren't in close enough proximity at that moment.

And I don't care if I sound like prehistoric Hitler.
Chimps are about as smart (at some points even better) than human children. Their intelligence just focusses at other points.

Humans are like cockroaches: Easily squished, but we tend to stick around, come what may. We just don't give up - on several occasions ridiculous amounts of people were killed, and still we - as a species or population - survived.
Just look at the concentration camps, or China during the Great Leap, or the Thirty Year's war. We're one tough breed, that's for sure.
While those aren't maybe the best examples, another example is that genetic research shows that (proto)humanity at one point has been reduced to about a thousand-2000 specimens, maybe even less.
Oh, and for human advantages, bipedality is a huge one. Higher vantage point, speed (humans are rather good in a sprint), endurance, ability to hold stuff.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: January 23, 2013, 08:06:01 am »

That would have been a man named Arnold Gehlen. He coined the german term "Mängelwesen" which roughly translates as "deficient being" as a description of humans. But he did not propagate the idea that we only survive because of our intelligence. He taught that we only survive because we are social beings. For example the human newborn needs an incredibly long time (years!) of being taken care of before it can survive on it's own while many other mammals can walk minutes to hours after birth.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: January 23, 2013, 08:08:00 am »

for human advantages, bipedality is a huge one. Higher vantage point, speed (humans are rather good in a sprint), endurance, ability to hold stuff

Let me see... Omnivourious diet that focuses on a wide variety of food

That would have been a man named Arnold Gehlen. He coined the german term "Mängelwesen" which roughly translates as "deficient being" as a description of humans. But he did not propagate the idea that we only survive because of our intelligence. He taught that we only survive because we are social beings. For example the human newborn needs an incredibly long time (years!) of being taken care of before it can survive on it's own while many other mammals can walk minutes to hours after birth.

But... that only occurs because we are social beings.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: January 23, 2013, 08:09:07 am »

Well, it co-evolved with sociality, so both are part causes and part consequences.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: January 23, 2013, 08:14:21 am »

for human advantages, bipedality is a huge one. Higher vantage point, speed (humans are rather good in a sprint), endurance, ability to hold stuff

That one isn't a result of bipedality though. Most apes have it. (Also, omnivoriousness comes at the cost of general inefficiency when eating stuff).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: January 23, 2013, 08:15:51 am »

That one isn't a result of bipedality though. Most apes have it. (Also, omnivoriousness comes at the cost of general inefficiency when eating stuff).

I was listing human advantages. I had to state though what kind of Omnivour we are. Since a few Carnivours are in fact Omnivours in a limited sense... like Wolves (Omnivourious opportunists)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: January 23, 2013, 08:19:35 am »

I have heard that human beings can actually outrun any animal on the planet, even a cheetah if we were chasing them down over a period of time. Other animals can run much faster than we can but we (I think) can beat them in a battle of attrition, hence why the bushmen of the Kalahari hunt by just chasing their prey until the animal collapses with exhaustion.
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 759