Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244355 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #4650 on: January 23, 2013, 06:05:25 pm »

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/01/23/1483131/house-republicans-to-scotus-gay-people-are-too-powerful-to-give-them-equal-rights/?mobile=nc

So.... I'm not sure what makes my jaw drop more.

1.) The American Taxpayer has paid $3,000,000 (roughly) for this GOP lawyer at $500/hour or so over the last couple decades to defend "traditional marriage." Meanwhile public defenders and appointed counsel, the most notoriously underpaid type of lawyers who do actual work that is incredibly hard for some of the most difficult to represent clients, get but a meager fraction of that from taxpayers and the state only pays it reluctantly, late, and often after cutting off a portion of the tragically low fee for the PD as "too much." It's good to know the justice system's priorities are.

Defending real live people accused of crimes? Meh, we'll toss the absolute bare minimum coin we can get away with for that one.
Defending a political idea discriminating against a minority, we'll fund the daylights out of that one....

???

2.) We're talking about government budget problems, because a democrat is in office (but Bush never had "budget problems"). I see something that could be cut.... I'm pretty sure they could find a lawyer to do this for far less than $500/hour or so....

3.) The substance of the message itself. Basically, the brief says the Supreme Court should not intervene or judicially grant gay people rights, because they are "well funded, and powerful."

By that proposed standard the existence of the NAACP would preclude SCOTUS from having anything to do with regulating racial discrimination at all.... Likewise, the existence of League of Women Voters and any other group focusing on females would preclude the Supreme Court from having anything to do with gender discrimination.

Your tax dollars at work folks....
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 06:08:13 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

kidhedera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: January 23, 2013, 06:05:56 pm »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: January 23, 2013, 06:11:52 pm »

[snip]
Hey, I'm all for it if they can at least be consistent and take away megacorporations' rights as people and stuff. Way too powerful for equal rights, them.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: January 23, 2013, 08:32:47 pm »

Those discussing possible changes to work culture might find this article of interest:

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/apple-google-facebook-and-amazon-are-worth-1-trillion-but-only-15000-jobs-its-time-to-reexamine-the-future-of-work

Dear god the comments.

"BUT... BUT... LAZY PEOPLE DESERVE TO DIE!!!"

The world is truly going insane.  Between this and environmental collapse, we're all quite fucked.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: January 23, 2013, 08:43:21 pm »

Dear god the comments.

"BUT... BUT... LAZY PEOPLE DESERVE TO DIE!!!"
I've seen a ton of people on the internet with that sort of reaction : "You're poor and you don't have a job ? God, you suck, and deserve to be poor (or worse)". Doesn't make any sense.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: January 23, 2013, 09:59:40 pm »

Yep, we really could be on a 32 hour work week by now. It would reduce unemployment, and could give people more time for leisure and family, making them healthier and happier.

Where would the money come from, though?
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: January 23, 2013, 10:29:23 pm »

Yep, we really could be on a 32 hour work week by now. It would reduce unemployment, and could give people more time for leisure and family, making them healthier and happier.

This is sarcasm, right?
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4657 on: January 24, 2013, 12:25:39 am »

It would come from the record high profit margins of corporate excess. Really, redistribution of wealth from the working classes to the plutocrats is at an all time high.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #4658 on: January 24, 2013, 01:08:14 am »

It would come from robots, actually.  Robots do all the work, robots print the money, etc.

Robots also spend the money. They eat the food too.  The robots also sit on the robo-computers and play robo-video-games.  They have also replaced all the politicians and clergy.  Now man can finally be -Nothing-.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: January 24, 2013, 06:07:15 am »

It would come from robots, actually.  Robots do all the work, robots print the money, etc.

Robots also spend the money. They eat the food too.  The robots also sit on the robo-computers and play robo-video-games.  They have also replaced all the politicians and clergy.  Now man can finally be -Nothing-.
Aaaand you have my vision of Utopia.
Probably wouldn't work, though: Most if not all people won't work on their own without an incentive, but you can't be truly happy without having some sort of productive occupation. Hooray for Marxist thoughts in the context of modern capitalism!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: January 24, 2013, 08:20:14 am »

I feel that I can be truly happy if left to play the computer for hours and hours on end. I would much rather not work at all.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: January 24, 2013, 08:28:21 am »

I find that most people who talk about how naturally lazy they are and how much they'd love to just do nothing for the rest of their lives are just backlashing against the frustration of being so fucking busy all the time.  After a while, they'd get bored, some idea would capture their interest, and they'd actually do something.  I know at this point in my life, I feel like I need a vacation lasting months... but definitely not forever.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: January 24, 2013, 08:38:05 am »

I find that most people who talk about how naturally lazy they are and how much they'd love to just do nothing for the rest of their lives are just backlashing against the frustration of being so fucking busy all the time.  After a while, they'd get bored, some idea would capture their interest, and they'd actually do something.  I know at this point in my life, I feel like I need a vacation lasting months... but definitely not forever.

Knowing myself, I believe I could spend months and months doing no actual productive work and I would be extremely content.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: January 24, 2013, 09:02:46 am »

Oh... so could I.  But it's because my life has been imbalanced towards constant business for so long.  You pull the rubber band so far in one direction, it will snap back that much harder when finally given the opportunity.  Doesn't mean I'd never be productive.  I want to do things with my life, but I also want balance.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: January 24, 2013, 09:10:17 am »

I'd prefer to be like one of those Victorian-era Englilsh gentry that piddled around with half a dozen different scientific fields or travelled the world and wrote about it.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 759