Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1246992 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #4665 on: January 24, 2013, 09:19:32 am »

I find that most people who talk about how naturally lazy they are and how much they'd love to just do nothing for the rest of their lives are just backlashing against the frustration of being so fucking busy all the time.  After a while, they'd get bored, some idea would capture their interest, and they'd actually do something.  I know at this point in my life, I feel like I need a vacation lasting months... but definitely not forever.

Knowing myself, I believe I could spend months and months doing no actual productive work and I would be extremely content.

Knowing myself, I believe that I couldn't spend more than a week doing nothing. Given whole days to do stuff, I would start coding projects for fun. Besides that, not many people would want the subsistence level of survival. People The vast majority would be willing to work, at least a bit, for their luxuries and conveniences.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: January 24, 2013, 09:22:05 am »

If you gave me 24 months to do my own thing, I'd have learned how to play the bagpipes, have biceps the size of watermelons, a beard down to my chest and possibly a novel written. There's a good chance I'd have completed many of my games several times over and explored the countryside.

I don't really consider those things work, though. I suppose they are in a way.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:15:54 am by Owlbread »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: January 24, 2013, 09:57:18 am »

I have trouble going more than a day or two without doing something "productive". I enjoy projects. Not having to work, oddly enough, would probably not reduce the amount of time I spent working - it would just result in most of my work being done on the many individual projects I involve myself with.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: January 24, 2013, 10:28:57 am »

Also, it is totally possible to redistribute wealth while keeping incentives to work. Just give everyone a flat amount of cash, in addition to anything they earn. Sure, you'd need to jack taxes up, but not by that much, since such an allocation would replace unemployment compensation, child support and most of welfare, including Social Security.

I'm pretty sure it would be easier politically than just increasing welfare for the now unemployed as well, since everybody would profit from it.

Iirc, some think-tank did the math, and scrapping all welfare would allow every belgian a 700 euros monthly allocation.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: January 24, 2013, 10:34:07 am »

The idea circulates in Germany under the name "Bürgergehalt" - citizen's wage. It's mostly seen as a leftist idea, but I guess it would allow us to cut down on the bureaucracy surrounding unemployment benefits.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4670 on: January 24, 2013, 11:31:10 am »

Also, it is totally possible to redistribute wealth while keeping incentives to work. Just give everyone a flat amount of cash, in addition to anything they earn. Sure, you'd need to jack taxes up, but not by that much, since such an allocation would replace unemployment compensation, child support and most of welfare, including Social Security.

I'm pretty sure it would be easier politically than just increasing welfare for the now unemployed as well, since everybody would profit from it.

Iirc, some think-tank did the math, and scrapping all welfare would allow every belgian a 700 euros monthly allocation.

I did the back of the napkin math for that using this as a basic reference.
A 50% flat tax on personal income in the US could allow:
0% corporate taxes
fully paying the entire federal budget
A stipend equal to the poverty line income for every household in America.

Note that I am not really advocating a flat tax, but its the only that can be used with any accuracy without a much more detailed breakdown.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: January 24, 2013, 12:17:43 pm »

Imo, flat taxes are perfectly fine when combined with a guaranteed minimum income, which is in and of itself highly progressive. It pretty effectively emulates a strongly progressive tax structure without any of the overhead and much simpler logistics.

I doubt government would ever want to give up its tax-based attempts at societal control though, or its loopholes for the wealthy.

It's also the position I've been pushing on the board for the last... 3, 4 years?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: January 24, 2013, 12:36:26 pm »

Yeah, I've had that idea since my first civics class, back in... '06? Or so.

The idea that working is something I -could- do, to make money to better my life, rather than working is something I NEED to do, so that I don't starve or die from exposure, is very appealing.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: January 24, 2013, 12:40:33 pm »

The idea that working is something I -could- do, to make money to better my life, rather than working is something I NEED to do, so that I don't starve or die from exposure, is very appealing.
Come to Europe - it's like that over here! Mostly, at least.
Imo, flat taxes are perfectly fine when combined with a guaranteed minimum income, which is in and of itself highly progressive. It pretty effectively emulates a strongly progressive tax structure without any of the overhead and much simpler logistics.
I come from a family that is by no means poor, and I believe my parents are in the highest or second-highest tax bracket; they can very well afford to pay that much. Some friends of mine (who are also well above the poverty/government assistance line) couldn't, though.
Even with a minimum income, a flat tax rate would be a great injustice.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: January 24, 2013, 12:43:27 pm »

Yeah... it's honestly kind of idyllic, to me. Give me a guaranteed source of food and shelter (internet would be nice, too) without the spectre of homelessness and starvation looming, and I'd spend somewhere between half and a third of my time volunteering, helping around the community. 'Cause I could afford to sink the time into it and wouldn't be distracted by trying to find a way to feed myself.

Totally love to be able to walk up to a research lab or something and just say, "Hey, fuck pay, there anything I can do to help out around here?" too. Stuff like that.

There anywhere out there that's, like, tried it, so far?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4675 on: January 24, 2013, 01:12:34 pm »

Come to Europe - it's like that over here! Mostly, at least.
I come from a family that is by no means poor, and I believe my parents are in the highest or second-highest tax bracket; they can very well afford to pay that much. Some friends of mine (who are also well above the poverty/government assistance line) couldn't, though.
It's wrong to automatically assume that the flat-tax rate in such a situation will be the current lower tax rates. That's the goal of the conservative version of the flat tax rate, but it's not the only way to implement it.

The sustainable idea is to set the flat tax rate at a fairly high rate (around what your parents are paying), and give equal payments to everyone. This emulates a lower tax-rate on the less affluent, and the existing high tax rate on the rich, but it does not require tax returns, asset testing, auditing. You could also bundle payments for family benefits into this system (which would increase to the adult level, and go into personal accounts when you hit 18).

e.g. the flat-tax rate could be 40% of income, but everyone gets, say, $10000 per annum, which effectively replaces welfare payments for the very poor, and tax returns/progressive tax breaks for the middle class. You can look at existing tax figures and work out what level to set everything at.

Effectively it would "end" welfare by paying the same cheque to everyone in the community, and since you can't be "kicked off" the base payments for working, there's no disincentive to take a job, or "bracket creep".
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 01:17:51 pm by Reelya »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: January 24, 2013, 02:01:09 pm »

I'm not sure you're following the idea. Assume guaranteed income is 15k. Assume your friends make 20k. This means that after this plan was instituted, their total income would be...

25k. A strict step up. That doesn't seem like much of an injustice to me, and I don't see how they'd be unable to afford it if they can afford to live now.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: January 24, 2013, 02:10:08 pm »

Problem for something like that is that you need to do it globally. After all, as soon as you institute it the majority of the rich/high income people are going to leave. This hollows out the Upper and higher middle class, and can eventually cause a collapse of the entire social service.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: January 24, 2013, 02:14:17 pm »

You're missing the point that the tax burden on those rich people hasn't increased at all under this proposal. What it does, is to massively reduce government overheads, whilst ensuring nobody is broke.

say the top tax rate is 40% now. The rich aren't running away yet, right? The flat tax would be 40%, and everyone, including the rich get their $15,000. Why would they run away when there's no actual increase in the taxes for the rich? If they're running away from 40% taxes, then they already left, so that point is moot.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 02:17:27 pm by Reelya »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: January 24, 2013, 02:16:39 pm »

I'm not sure you're following the idea. Assume guaranteed income is 15k. Assume your friends make 20k. This means that after this plan was instituted, their total income would be...

25k. A strict step up. That doesn't seem like much of an injustice to me, and I don't see how they'd be unable to afford it if they can afford to live now.
My point is that there'll be people stuck in the middle; midle-middle class people like that friend of mine, not poor, not rich.
Does anyone have an estimate of how much the bureaucracy for (simple) progressive taxation costs as opposed to that needed for a flat tax?
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 759