Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244347 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #5250 on: March 26, 2013, 01:58:59 pm »

When will we have the ruling?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5251 on: March 26, 2013, 02:04:36 pm »

When will we have the ruling?
Most likely June. However, tomorrow is the DOMA arguments and that may shed some more light on how things are going. Although most likely not.

SCOTUSblog's argument recap. Their plain English summary with greatest picture ever. Trust them more than me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5252 on: March 26, 2013, 02:28:09 pm »

DOMA is pretty much a done deal. It is a law that is "unequal on its face" and thus by definition violates the Equal Protection Clause.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5253 on: March 26, 2013, 05:05:24 pm »

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5254 on: March 26, 2013, 11:10:55 pm »

JUSTICE KAGAN: Well, suppose a State said, Mr. Cooper, suppose a State said that, Because we think that the focus of marriage really should be on procreation, we are not going to give marriage licenses anymore to any couple where both people are over the age of 55. Would that be constitutional?

MR. COOPER: No, Your Honor, it would not be constitutional.

JUSTICE KAGAN: Because that’s the same State interest, I would think, you know. If you are over the age of 55, you don’t help us serve the Government’s interest in regulating procreation through marriage. So why is that different?

MR. COOPER: Your Honor, even with respect to couples over the age of 55, it is very rare that both couples — both parties to the couple are infertile, and the traditional -

(Laughter.)

JUSTICE KAGAN: No, really, because if the couple — I can just assure you, if both the woman and the man are over the age of 55, there are not a lot of children coming out of that marriage

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5255 on: March 26, 2013, 11:19:44 pm »

I like the way that Justice is thinking.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5256 on: March 26, 2013, 11:28:53 pm »

I like the hole that Mr Cooper was digging.  They should have let him finish his sentence and dig it deeper.  The traditional what now?  Only one party to the marriage becomes infertile?  So were you going to say it's traditional for the male to begin cheating with younger women when his spouse is past a certain age?  Is that your sanctity of marriage?  That was really a priceless exchange.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:30:26 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5257 on: March 26, 2013, 11:54:42 pm »

I like the hole that Mr Cooper was digging.  They should have let him finish his sentence and dig it deeper.  The traditional what now?  Only one party to the marriage becomes infertile?  So were you going to say it's traditional for the male to begin cheating with younger women when his spouse is past a certain age?  Is that your sanctity of marriage?  That was really a priceless exchange.
Funnily enough, there is actually theological justification for that very thing. In the Bible, Jacob has sex with his wives' female slaves to increase the odds of children. Margaret Atwood used this as the basis for the titular societal role in The Handmaid's Tale, in which this is done verbatim because a good deal of the Gileadian population has been rendered infertile by radiological contamination and a mutant strain of syphilis.

I recommend that book to all of you, by the way. Definitely one of the better dystopic novels out there.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:56:21 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5258 on: March 26, 2013, 11:57:20 pm »

Oh, I'm aware such stuff is in the bible.  Getting them to actually state something like that directly on a major public platform would just be amazing.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5259 on: March 27, 2013, 12:07:33 am »

I've been meaning to read that. I love dystopias and I like Atwood.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5260 on: March 27, 2013, 09:25:43 am »

If only one person in the marriage has to be able to procreate surely that would make same-sex marriage ok, providing it isn't between two women who are past child-bearing age?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5261 on: March 27, 2013, 09:35:10 am »

If only one person in the marriage has to be able to procreate surely that would make same-sex marriage ok, providing it isn't between two women who are past child-bearing age?
Solution: Same-sex marriage is legal if it's a three-way marriage that includes a fertile female. Giggity.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5262 on: March 27, 2013, 10:19:37 am »

http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/03/27/0240241/usps-discriminates-against-atheist-merchandise

The United States Postal Service is discriminating against "atheist packages". Packages marked with "atheist" are 10 times more likely to get lost and when they do arrive, they arrive an average of 3 days later compared to identical packages without markings. This study was accompanied by trial groups in Europe where no such discrepancy was noted.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5263 on: March 27, 2013, 10:27:04 am »

That's only 1 out of 2 possible conclusions.

The other one is that post arriving on time literally is a miracle.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5264 on: March 27, 2013, 10:38:40 am »

Interesting...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 759