Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244351 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Elephant Meat
« Reply #5430 on: April 01, 2013, 06:49:49 am »

Me too.

Also, Truean, not sur I dig your protectonist feel here. While we can blame corps all we like, outsourcing has actually been a great boon, reducing inequality worldwide. Sure, it sucks to be on the receiving end of the global economic recalibration, but IMHO the loss of jobs in the West were more than worth it given all the Indians, Chinese etc etc etc we got out of poverty.

Somewhat...  Some have been elevated from poverty.  Others have simply found themselves spending their entire waking lives in an assembly line and still barely surviving.  The corporate perspective is this "Why pay these people who actually have some standard of life quality, while these people over here will work themselves to death within 20 years in return for a meal a day?"

I don't think anybody was talking about outsourcing to begin with, though.  It was about the way companies treat their employees.  Workplace safety, and such.  Cutting corners that they know will get people killed just to save a few dollars here and there.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5431 on: April 01, 2013, 10:57:40 am »

"Some" is quite the understatement. We're talking about hundreds of millions here. And slaving away in an assembly line might not be fun, but it's better than starving on the farm. Plus, now that most of the reserve workers pool has been used up (in no small part because China's new middle class need a lot of these workers to satisfy its need), wages are rising. Fast. We're talking about wages doubling every 4 years here.

Actually, wages are raising so fast that Chinese companies are now outsourcing, either taking factories back to the West, or opening factories in Africa, which will hopefully help those guys get out of poverty too.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: April 01, 2013, 10:59:55 am »

I've heard it said more than once that once we run out of people to unintentionally enrich through corporate oppression, we'll ironically have reached World Communism (as Marx saw it, that is).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: April 01, 2013, 11:00:37 am »

I've heard it said more than once that once we run out of people to unintentionally enrich through corporate oppression, we'll ironically have reached World Communism (as Marx saw it, that is).

Talk about a Corperate Pizza: APRIL FOOLS! There is no such thing!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: April 01, 2013, 11:01:41 am »

We get it Neonivek, you hate April Fools. Message well received. Posting it in every thread is not necessary.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: April 01, 2013, 11:19:31 am »

We get it Neonivek, you hate April Fools. Message well received. Posting it in every thread is not necessary.

What? No, I was genuinly trying to be funny :D

So I guess the real fool was you... an April fool that is!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #5436 on: April 02, 2013, 01:12:26 pm »

Shenanigans are over, I guess.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: April 02, 2013, 02:47:37 pm »

Shame, too. I was really wondering what elephant meat tastes like.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5438 on: April 02, 2013, 03:06:37 pm »

"Some" is quite the understatement. We're talking about hundreds of millions here. And slaving away in an assembly line might not be fun, but it's better than starving on the farm. Plus, now that most of the reserve workers pool has been used up (in no small part because China's new middle class need a lot of these workers to satisfy its need), wages are rising. Fast. We're talking about wages doubling every 4 years here.

Actually, wages are raising so fast that Chinese companies are now outsourcing, either taking factories back to the West, or opening factories in Africa, which will hopefully help those guys get out of poverty too.

I am very protectionist. Moreso than you can imagine.

You're assuming it isn't cyclical, but rather a progressive good thing with wages rising....

What if, instead of eventually "running out of people to lowball on wages" the corporations simply rotate who they employ and who they don't (who they starve)? Let's see... we'll move all our factories to China for 20 years, then to Pakistan, then to Africa, then Korea, finally we'll ship some to the US now that we've killed their wage bargaining power..... Do you see how they can boycott round labor?

Your assumption of a constantly rising standard for the future being spread around the world is the opposite of what corporations want. They LIKE cheap as hell labor and they will screw you to get it.

I know all about international economics and Ricardian and Smithian views. That's fine but the problem is that trade needs to be reciprocal. Trade with China could've gone VERY differently where both sides would've gained something, instead of just them gaining a ton of our IOUs / us becoming heavily indebted to them.... The problem with trade to the developing world, is that it is always asymmetrical in practice. It needs to be heavily regulated so as not to exploit the crap out of both sides. So far trade with China has been a lose lose endeavor for the peoples of both countries (not the politicians or companies). The Chinese are now overworked, underpaid and unsafe with 0 worker safety. The Americans are now unemployed and broke. Though China overall came out on top (new society and social infrastrcuture buildings, compared to the decaying ruins of Detroit and the entire "rust belt"...).

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 03:24:39 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5439 on: April 02, 2013, 03:29:21 pm »

I'm guessing Truean isn't exactly a fan of Thomas Friedman.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: April 02, 2013, 03:40:34 pm »

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5441 on: April 02, 2013, 03:43:22 pm »

This is my pet idea.

Well, not really MY pet idea, obviously. But it's the one that I'm most "We need this" about.

Just wondering what y'all think about it. Either in Europe, North America, or elsewhere, the feasibility of it. (Personally I would do away with most if not all welfare and just use this. People are smart enough to spend their money wisely, in terms of "rent, food, energy first", you don't need the government telling you how to use it. And if they aren't smart enough, well... There's no helping them.)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5442 on: April 02, 2013, 04:05:15 pm »

The basic income is definitely something I would like to see. (Not to be confused with the 'minimum guaranteed income' which I find pretty terrible, but most people seem to conflate and treat as if they are in any way similar)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5443 on: April 02, 2013, 04:21:10 pm »

A minimum guaranteed income sounds like it would pretty much null any savings from lessened bureacracy from changing state-welfare to basic-income. :/ And the whole transition stage between "eligible" and "non-eligible", with people getting lost in the gap.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5444 on: April 02, 2013, 04:28:24 pm »

I will be easier to get people to accept universal welfare in this country than basic income. And even that won't happen unless there is a massive political and social shakeup first.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 759