Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247064 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #5820 on: May 09, 2013, 08:14:39 am »

Oh... I agree... but you're talking about a message aimed at leaders.  They're the ones who push the denialist propapaganda without a care, because they believe that by the time the consequences of their short-sightedness have reached a point that the rich can't buy their way away from them, they'll long be dead.  Sadly, this is probably true. 

I'm talking about persuading your average Joe that there actually is a problem they should care about.  They buy the climate denial propaganda as a refutation of environmentalism in general, which saves them the trouble of having to care.  All they need is to be slapped in the face with a bunch of other reasons that, even if this one environmentalist issue is wrong, there are many others, and they can't afford to be willfully ignorant of them.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: May 09, 2013, 08:29:40 am »

Funnily one of ours is the 'Northern Territory"  :P Because why not be creative with the names.
We at least have an excuse. It's a rump-state, in the past it basically covered everything north and west of the Great Lakes (including Northern Quebec and Ontario)

Hence the name.

Over time, provinces and other territories (The latest in 1999, Nunavut, land to give the native Inuit more of a say) were chopped out of it.

We also had a place called "Rupert's Land"

The British were not very imaginative.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: May 09, 2013, 08:33:00 am »

Funnily one of ours is the 'Northern Territory"  :P Because why not be creative with the names.
We at least have an excuse. It's a rump-state, in the past it basically covered everything north and west of the Great Lakes (including Northern Quebec and Ontario)

Hence the name.

Over time, provinces and other territories (The latest in 1999, Nunavut, land to give the native Inuit more of a say) were chopped out of it.

We also had a place called "Rupert's Land"

The British were not very imaginative.

There was a place in it called 'Moose Factory' which I think makes up for it.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: May 09, 2013, 08:39:03 am »

Also known as "Where The Fuck Did All These Sand Flies Come From Territory" D:

I liked the NT, but that's because I generally respect places that are actively hostile to your continued existence. Especially when it goes from desert and salt pans to jungle and crocodiles with pretty much nothing in between.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: May 09, 2013, 11:19:32 am »

My favourite is "Happy Valley-Goose Bay" in Labrador.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: May 09, 2013, 01:38:33 pm »

Hey, Canada. What the fuck. You're supposed to be the good guys.
* kaijyuu froths with rage.

Canada has gone rather crazy in recent years though.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: May 09, 2013, 01:39:49 pm »

Hey, Canada. What the fuck. You're supposed to be the good guys.

You forgot the 'relatively' before good guys with an optional 'compared to the USA' after it. It's an easy mistake to make.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: May 09, 2013, 02:09:40 pm »

This is the same canada that just sold 97% of their federally owned waterways, has been cracking down on victimless crimes, has been experiencing rapidly inflating cronyism and government corruption, has bent over backwards to pass copyright law dictated by the media industries, etc and so on?

Canada was great once, but they seem pretty dedicated, imo, to ridding themselves of that pesky label.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: May 09, 2013, 02:25:23 pm »

Awww yeeeaahhh, time for the US and Canada to trade popularity on the world stage! Moving up in the world! Canadians will pretend to be American when they go to Europe! US politicians will deride loonybin Canadian politicians! Finally, America will be seen as the best North American nation!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5830 on: May 09, 2013, 02:38:14 pm »

Awww yeeeaahhh, time for the US and Canada to trade popularity on the world stage! Moving up in the world! Canadians will pretend to be American when they go to Europe! US politicians will deride loonybin Canadian politicians! Finally, America will be seen as the best North American nation!
Maryland already replaced both.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: May 09, 2013, 02:46:19 pm »

Is it wrong that I can't wait to see angry young Canadians repeatedly threatening to move to America?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: May 09, 2013, 02:52:36 pm »

Is it wrong that I can't wait to see angry young Canadians repeatedly threatening to move to America?
Go to British Columbia and you might see that right now. Mind you, this is more because of weed than anything else.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: May 09, 2013, 04:08:36 pm »

Franky, given the US comparitive conservatism, I'm surprised there aren't more.

Also, now Canada can finally take it's place as USA Lite.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: May 09, 2013, 04:29:14 pm »

I always saw Canada as USA Lite.
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 759