Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247509 times)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #6150 on: June 23, 2013, 03:13:54 am »

Fuck raw utilitarianism.

Thats it?

1. Does the public consent?
2. Do they consent?
3. Do they consent?

What if a minority doesnt concent? What if the discomfort of the minority heavily outway the benefits to the majority?
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6151 on: June 23, 2013, 03:16:09 am »

Completely "wiped out" by government control of expression, Allowing for 20% of course.
I still believe questioning it is better than repressing it.
I said "pretty much", not "completely". Also the 20% could very easily be construed to be mostly the immigrant part of the population (which is about that number), as the statistics don't say anything about ethnic or religious affiliations.
Of course questioning is better than repressing, but I tend to think that in the 50s repressing might have been necessary.

Then you begin equally suppressing everyone, and it really isn't looking like it's worth the cost.
I'm just for equal laws for everybody.

Holy cow, even blasphemy is illegal.
[/quote]
Blasphemy laws are pretty lax. The church has lost a lot of lawsuits against satirists and artists. I could wear inverted crosses as pendants and earings to school without anyone giving me shit about it. And that was almost 20 years ago. Also this shirt - no problem in school :D:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1. Agreement to listen.
2. Anyone capable of acting independently.
But still we have to regulate this by law. As in "no animals". And some age that is seen as appropriate (I think it's 14 here now), even if it isn't perfect for everybody, you have to draw some lines.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 03:20:55 am by XXSockXX »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6152 on: June 23, 2013, 03:17:23 am »

What if a minority doesnt concent?
Then don't whip out the proverbial soapbox and find a venue for your analogying.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6153 on: June 23, 2013, 03:42:09 am »

I'm saying lust and hate are unavoidable, therefore we should find constructive outlets for these feelings, instead of trying to suppress them. Go ahead, masturbate! Go ahead, speak your mind!

Statement: "We should kill all homosexuals!"

Wrong response: "Silence him!"
Right response: "Why?"
Optional response: "..."

Yeah. Try that at your local fag-bashing or racist centre if you wish. You will not be met with silence and lack of arguments.
Love, scriver~

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6154 on: June 23, 2013, 03:44:33 am »

Nah, in all probablity you will get accused of being one of them, and having either bible verses or ignortant arguments shouted at you before the violence starts.
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6155 on: June 23, 2013, 03:48:24 am »

Nah, in all probablity you will get accused of being one of them, and having either bible verses or ignortant arguments shouted at you before the violence starts.
I find it's become less about Deuteronomy and more about shouting 'DEGENERACYYY' these days.

Yeah. Try that at your local fag-bashing or racist centre if you wish. You will not be met with silence and lack of arguments.
All three were optional responses, not a sequence of statements. I don't seem to have seen a single fag-bashing or racist centre in my life, only hateful individuals - and it's great when they provide arguments, because it provides a basis for their belief which can be questioned.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6156 on: June 23, 2013, 06:53:13 am »

... lucky you? If you're saying you've never actually been in an area that had congregations of violently bigoted people, anyway. I've been living in and around them all my life, and I've seen the results of what happens when you do pretty much anything but join in or stay silent -- and sometimes not even the latter'll save you. Still places in the states where asking "why" would literally get you killed and definitely get you shitkicked, and plenty of places elsewhere.

E:
How about masturbation in public? Masturbation at someone? How about masturbating, taking a photo of you doing it from the waist down, and then passing it around to people telling them it was your mutual acquaintance?

That last one sorta got away from me just a little bit, but to be honest as well fitting as this sex analogy is, it sadly just doesn't fit everything.
1. Does the public consent?
2. Do they consent?
3. Do they consent?
Wouldn't that heuristic render public speaking or broadcast a complete impossibility? There's pretty much always going to be people that don't consent, to pretty much anything, caught in the proverbial crossfire. Not that I'd exactly complain about the removal of background radio or waiting room TVs and suchlike, but yeah.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 07:05:41 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6157 on: June 23, 2013, 07:37:46 am »

... lucky you? If you're saying you've never actually been in an area that had congregations of violently bigoted people, anyway. I've been living in and around them all my life, and I've seen the results of what happens when you do pretty much anything but join in or stay silent -- and sometimes not even the latter'll save you. Still places in the states where asking "why" would literally get you killed and definitely get you shitkicked, and plenty of places elsewhere.
Lucky me indeed, for a few things at least. When you are getting people lynched and such, that is physical assault and should be dealt with the law. When asking 'why' leads to statements of 'I'm going to kill you,' that is also the time for the police to get involved, as clear intent of an upcoming crime has been given.
Secondly, you really don't need to live near the local bigot's meeting spot where they dastardly plot the next way to insult everyone to live near local bigots. It is just a matter of distinction that you don't need to form everything into groups and cabals for it to be harmful.

Wouldn't that heuristic render public speaking or broadcast a complete impossibility?
In such cases where it is spoken through a private medium, it is very easy to show that you have consented when you change the channel to watch that show, or attend that speech. The consent-ideal would be to void the validity of being able to harass individuals or start shouting at strangers in public, whilst also preserving their right to express themselves.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6159 on: June 25, 2013, 11:10:22 am »

We discussed it before here, but polygamy would be a bureaucratic nightmare. Divorces are already a huge headache; take it to the x'th power (x being the number of spouses - 1).

Past that polygamy is a-okay~
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6160 on: June 25, 2013, 11:11:50 am »

Ideologically, I don't see why people would be opposed to polygamy.

Practically and historically, there's good reasons not to recognize it federally, though I could see some of the benefits being good to extend out in general.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6161 on: June 25, 2013, 11:13:49 am »

Just do it the way the Romans did.

Marriage is no longer a governemental business. Divorce is simplified to sending you ex the following message "Grab your stuff and get out*"

*Free translation

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6162 on: June 25, 2013, 11:35:51 am »

Ideologically, I don't see why people would be opposed to polygamy.

Practically and historically, there's good reasons not to recognize it federally, though I could see some of the benefits being good to extend out in general.
Traditional polygamy (as in Islam or historically in Mormonism) is a pretty misogynistic affair.
And in terms of "modern" polyamory, where everyone involved can have multiple relationships at once, that would be a huge mess figuring out who is legally tied to who in what way. Divorces involving 15 people should be interesting  :D.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6163 on: June 25, 2013, 11:36:45 am »

Divorce is simplified to sending you ex the following message "Grab your stuff and get out*"
He/she can simply reply with:

"What's mine is yours, what's yours is mine... so if I take my stuff, I get your stuff!"

Then they drive away into the sunset cackling madly while 100 dollar bills trail in their wake, leaving you poor and homeless.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6164 on: June 25, 2013, 12:08:41 pm »

There's a reason the Romans didn't believe in shared goods when marrying. In practice, everything belonged to the man, except for the rather large dowry*.

*Large enough to live of comfourtably in most cases, and in fact often large enough to ruin the man if he couldn't pay it back.
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 759