Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247699 times)

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #6705 on: July 21, 2013, 07:39:42 pm »

Our relationship with China is symbiotic. I think it is ultimately a good thing, as economic MAD is preferable to nuclear MAD. We just need to curb our side of the abuses and convince/force/bribe China to do the same with its.

I actually want China to grow economically. Democracy movements have historically flowered upon the enrichment of a population.

The point I am trying to make is that this isn't like with the USSR. Nor can it be. The state of the world is far too interconnected for that situation to exist again.

I think I agree with your assessment, but I think globalism isn't something that will survive forever. It's a product of inexpensive oil, great disparities between labor costs/ exchange rates and free market economies, or at least free market economies exploiting disparities with more centralized nations with artificially depressed economies. None of those things are guarantees in the future.

The world is evolving, the USA is stalling in terms of economic and diplomatic importance while other nations are growing to parity. Especially China. Oil is basically at it's peak in terms as a natural resource and the whole of industrialized civilization is wholly dependent on it, it will only get more scarce and expensive from here on out as a whole. Wide spread information from the internet, social media has changed how politics work in the world. The status quo is less secure then it's ever been.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6706 on: July 21, 2013, 07:55:07 pm »

Oil, political-bloc driven globalism is declining rapidly, yes. However, information-driven, personal globalism is filling the void. And this is good, because it will create the kind of scenario for planetwide cooperation that we will need in the future to tackle even greater challenges.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6707 on: July 21, 2013, 09:45:22 pm »

LNG....is the future. Not solar, wind, or god forbid, ethanol. Large scale renewable energy is still in its infantile stages, and in most cases, does not break even until many years.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #6708 on: July 21, 2013, 10:30:27 pm »

LNG....is the future. Not solar, wind, or god forbid, ethanol. Large scale renewable energy is still in its infantile stages, and in most cases, does not break even until many years.

The future belongs to renewable energy, because it doesn't run out. The only non renewable form of energy that has the potential to significantly outlast the end of the century is nuclear, and that is only if we move to feeder breeder reactors. Even coal will fail when it has to go through liquefaction to run cars/planes or if electric cars become popular enough to dramatically increase demand for grid power.

And no, ethanol is not a form of renewable energy either. Its cost in soil nutrients and draining of aquifers make it even more dangerous than fossil fuels.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6709 on: July 21, 2013, 10:37:29 pm »

Spoiler: No. (click to show/hide)

I will grant you only that Liquified Natural Gas is a step up from oil and coal, but it also needs to be eliminated long-term.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6710 on: July 22, 2013, 01:18:05 am »

Yes, it's the next step. Logical increments after all. Maybe we'll eventually reach cold fusion reactors or develop some sort of material or technique that can safely contain a fusion reaction, but probably not in the next 20 years.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6711 on: July 22, 2013, 01:42:18 am »

If I remember correctly, ITER will go live around 2020 - add some twenty years onto that to make it industrially viable, and we have ourselves the energy source of the future. This huge emphasis on decentrality is hogwash, much like Mao's famed steel production concept.
And it only gets more exciting when you remember that fusion produces fast neutrons, which can split U-238 and thus produce both energy and fuel for conventional reactors.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6712 on: July 22, 2013, 02:19:38 am »

Maybe we'll eventually reach cold fusion reactors or develop some sort of material or technique that can safely contain a fusion reaction, but probably not in the next 20 years.

Cold fusion as we know it is a fraud, violating the known laws of physics and all that. And on the subject of reaction containment, magnetic fields are used. The most theoretically efficient shape of said field would be spherical but unfortunately magnets do not work that way, which means that the current line of thinking in fusion reactor design is shaping the containment vessel into a torus.

Oh, something else about cold fusion. If it produces little to no heat, then where is all the energy going?

And why would we want to use a system that produces virtually no heat and thus energy compared to a conventional fusion reactor? None of it makes any sense whatsoever.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6713 on: July 22, 2013, 02:27:34 am »

Maybe we'll eventually reach cold fusion reactors or develop some sort of material or technique that can safely contain a fusion reaction, but probably not in the next 20 years.

Cold fusion as we know it is a fraud, violating the known laws of physics and all that. And on the subject of reaction containment, magnetic fields are used. The most theoretically efficient shape of said field would be spherical but unfortunately magnets do not work that way, which means that the current line of thinking in fusion reactor design is shaping the containment vessel into a torus.

Oh, something else about cold fusion. If it produces little to no heat, then where is all the energy going?

And why would we want to use a system that produces virtually no heat and thus energy compared to a conventional fusion reactor? None of it makes any sense whatsoever.
Cold fusion means that the reaction itself could be started at room temperatures, not that the reaction would produce no heat. It would still produce similar amounts of heat, and therefore energy, just starting at lower temperatures, which would make the reaction easier to both start and sustain.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6714 on: July 22, 2013, 02:55:49 am »

I want you to look at the sky during a cloudless day. You might notice a fucking huge ball of light that hurts to look at. That thing is a fusion engine, largest in the solar system. As it was initially 'sparked' not from incredible heat, but astronomical pressure, one could call it a cold fusion engine. It now provides the energy for a very complex chemical reaction we call life.

Humanity: Proudly sponsored by cold fusion for over 4.5 billion years, long before the earth even formed for humanity to begin on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6715 on: July 22, 2013, 03:11:04 am »

Also, do note that heat is not the only way energy can be produced. That's the main benefit of second generation fusion after all. It emits electrons, which can be directly used for grid power. Sadly, we can't even get first gen fusion working. Btw, the sun is practically a cold fusion engine, temperatures in the core are very low when compared to human fusion installations.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6716 on: July 22, 2013, 03:20:23 am »

Yes, it's the next step. Logical increments after all. Maybe we'll eventually reach cold fusion reactors or develop some sort of material or technique that can safely contain a fusion reaction, but probably not in the next 20 years.
No, as the information in the spoiler demonstrates, renewables are the next step. LNG is just more acceptable filler for what fossil fuels can't be replaced yet.
I want you to look at the sky during a cloudless day. You might notice a fucking huge ball of light that hurts to look at. That thing is a fusion engine, largest in the solar system. As it was initially 'sparked' not from incredible heat, but astronomical pressure, one could call it a cold fusion engine. It now provides the energy for a very complex chemical reaction we call life.

Humanity: Proudly sponsored by cold fusion for over 4.5 billion years, long before the earth even formed for humanity to begin on.
The sun, while not at all close to the temperature needed for Earthbound fusion, also is under 28 times Earth's gravity. Unless we discover how to manipulate gravity, we are not likely to make much progress on any "cold" fusion front.

On the other hand, if we do discover how to manipulate gravity, humanity wins and the universe is fucked.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6717 on: July 22, 2013, 03:31:02 am »

Well I think we are pretty far away from cold fusion at this point, to my understanding. All claims I have ever seen come down to chemistry. But the fact that something is implausible for human technology is far from impossible for physics.

Although we can still harvest the output from the fusion generator we already have, so no dire need to build a new one. Just put up a solar panel and BAM! You are drinking a fusion smoothy.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6718 on: July 22, 2013, 03:32:59 am »

You don't need to use gravity. Magnetical compression works too.

Though well, containing a fusing ball of plasma with a pressure similar to the core of the sun might be a bad idea. Especially if containment fails.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6719 on: July 22, 2013, 03:34:54 am »

All energy on Earth ultimately comes from the sun, Max. The question you should be asking yourself is whether you want to build a Dyson sphere or continue on the creation of Earthly fusion generators, because that would be the fair comparison.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 759