Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247133 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #6750 on: July 25, 2013, 08:28:06 am »

Mens News Daily

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6751 on: July 25, 2013, 08:36:26 am »

I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6752 on: July 25, 2013, 11:54:52 am »

What we need is a cultural shift that stops worshiping wealth and starts socially punishing greed instead.  The law is never going to be turned against them until such a cultural shift takes place anyway.
What we need is a legal framework that channels greed into productive places.
It's already designed to do that, it just needs to do it better. Much easier than effectively brainwashing ~95% of the population.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #6753 on: July 25, 2013, 12:08:47 pm »

A cultural shift is not brainwashing. No more so than a culture is, anyway.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6754 on: July 25, 2013, 12:12:24 pm »

Studies have shown that you only need a convince about 10% of a group to convince all of them in a reasonable timeframe. Peer pressure is weird like that.

Don't know if it works with things as complicated as this though.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #6755 on: July 25, 2013, 12:17:52 pm »

I terms of corporations under our current system, I think we should have the death penalty for corporations, if they screw up badly enough.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6756 on: July 25, 2013, 12:24:49 pm »

I could get behind a forced dissolution.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6757 on: July 25, 2013, 12:26:30 pm »

Studies have shown that you only need a convince about 10% of a group to convince all of them in a reasonable timeframe. Peer pressure is weird like that.

Don't know if it works with things as complicated as this though.
As I recall, it was closer to 10% being the likely explosion point for a growing idea, which explains paradigm shifts.
I terms of corporations under our current system, I think we should have the death penalty for corporations, if they screw up badly enough.
Economically dangerous. Remove corporate personhood and limited liability, and they'll mostly police themselves. You Fucked Up-level mistakes can be dealt with through nationalization of the offending corporation. This way, businesses are not suddenly removed from the economy and justice can be served.
Hang on, does that mean we execute all people who work for them, or we execute the company? First one's stupid, second one's... not really possible.
Sure it is. Nullify the corporate charter. No charter, no corporation.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6758 on: July 25, 2013, 06:54:18 pm »

What we need is a cultural shift that stops worshiping wealth and starts socially punishing greed instead.  The law is never going to be turned against them until such a cultural shift takes place anyway.

The Soviets tried to trigger such a cultural shift. They've failed.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 06:56:40 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6759 on: July 25, 2013, 07:28:55 pm »

What we need is a legal framework that channels greed into productive places.
It's already designed to do that, it just needs to do it better. Much easier than effectively brainwashing ~95% of the population.

Got any ideas about how to do that without putting sociopaths in control of society?

The Soviets tried to trigger such a cultural shift. They've failed.

It seems to me more like they altered the channels through which greed seeks its rewards.

If you don't believe a cultural shift can happen, then meaningful change will never happen.  We intentionally give power to the most horrible among us.  How is that not supposed to result in bad things?

Anyway, I was dropping by to quickly mention that a friend of mine was just turned down for a job.  They told him that they paid Facebook for access to his account, saw that he's not a christian, and rejected him purely on that basis.  Rather infuriating.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:31:49 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6760 on: July 25, 2013, 07:32:29 pm »

Anyway, I was dropping by to quickly mention that a friend of mine was just turned down for a job.  They told him that they paid Facebook for access to his account, saw that he's not a christian, and rejected him purely on that basis.  Rather infuriating.

I did not know that was possible.

Fuck.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6761 on: July 25, 2013, 07:37:14 pm »

That is interesting. If that is true (not that I personnally doubt your word, it just sounds weird): How did they get his Facebook account? (If I had one I wouldn't use my name and a different email than what I use for professional purposes.) How did they determine that he's "not christian", is there a checkbox for that?
It's also the first time I hear about paying Facebook for access. I have heard about US corporations demanding access from employees though. That should be illegal (it is here at least).

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6762 on: July 25, 2013, 07:47:03 pm »

As far as I know Facebook doesn't do that kind of thing, but there's a bunch of companies that make money harvesting people's personal information.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6763 on: July 25, 2013, 07:56:14 pm »

Sure, but it is so easy to circumvent that. You can search my real name in all kinds of search engines and find nothing. I have multiple email adresses for different purposes. Very few people I know use their real names on Facebook and similar networks.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6764 on: July 25, 2013, 07:56:52 pm »

Isn't that illegal? To reject someone on a religious basis?
Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 759