Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247212 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #6780 on: July 26, 2013, 12:40:44 am »

I agree with you. Normal concurrence simply don't work with social network.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6781 on: July 26, 2013, 01:09:50 am »

I'm writing my Leaving Facebook Tract right now, in the form of a Facebook Post directly proceeding my purging of my old account. I somehow accumulated a few hundred friends from the past, who still message me on there, so... maybe someone will see it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6782 on: July 26, 2013, 01:13:32 am »

Yea because that will help in some way. When in the interview they ask for your facebook password and you tell them you don't have an account, they will just skip over you for somebody who is more complacent.

There are a lot of people on facebook. Legal action that forbids this kind of invasion of privacy will be significantly more effective than a boycott.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: July 26, 2013, 01:34:16 am »

Well, an important step in having a belief is living your life in a way that corresponds with it, yeah?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: July 26, 2013, 01:39:02 am »

I think the problem is more that Facebook is so ubiquitous that if you say you don't have one, they automatically assume you're either really strange/anti-social or hiding something... or both.

If a different social network that was managed in better faith took over Facebook's position... well... you'd still be passed over for the same reasons for not having an account, but you wouldn't have to worry about your social interactions with friends and family being used against you, either.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6785 on: July 26, 2013, 01:46:29 am »

Call me opinionated, but I would sooner be unemployed that work for a company that required a Facebook Page as a component of hiring. Even if it's a position I really, really want... I can't condone that. It's invasive and wrong.

In other news... Mark Zucherberg himself has voiced concerns over Facebook's finances being public knowledge now that it's become a Publicly Traded Company. However, apparently Goldman Sachs invested 450 Million with Facebook, and created a "Special Purpose Investment Vehicle" which allows Goldman Sachs to invest in Facebook on behalf of other parties (who themselves pay Goldman Sachs). We only see investments from GS, but who knows what parties are actually investing.

Interesting that Facebook would go through all that trouble just to conceal who's investing in them. Might be related to the means Facebook is using to accept payment and provide their under-the-radar Data Collection services.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 01:48:07 am by Solifuge »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6786 on: July 26, 2013, 01:58:15 am »

Completely agree... My friend really desperately needs a job, but I told him that's a solid sign of an abusive work environment.  If he works there, it will be a drain on him that will cripple his drive and ability to find a better place.  From experience.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6787 on: July 26, 2013, 02:03:02 am »

Well yea, at this point abandoning Facebook on moral grounds is admirable, even sensible, just not always practical.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6788 on: July 26, 2013, 02:05:51 am »

I'd encourage anyone who has a Facebook profile to try "Export My Personal Information" out.

They log everything, down to the dates and times you logged in, your location and IP address, what you did during your session, every post you make or are referred to during, every video and photograph you uploaded or were tagged in... absolutely everything. Even your previous and deleted personal and contact information. It never disappears. The Ads.html is interesting to look at... keywords for targeted advertising, by the look.

PPE: Facial Recognition Data? They keep a database of Facial Recognition Data?

Thank god that's an odd angle... but the fuck is this!?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 02:11:43 am by Solifuge »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6789 on: July 26, 2013, 02:22:36 am »

Well lets all be grateful there isn't some government program set up to monitor our social media usage that operates pretty much in secret. No sir, it isn't like your private information is going to be used against you in a secret court for breaking secret laws. And lets all be thankful that we live in a world where the US government respects the sovereignty of other nations and would never have somebody arrested for breaking US laws despite not being in the US. What a fair and transparent system we all enjoy.

EDIT: Interestingly, apparently that Export feature is disabled for me.
I guess it isn't there for anybody living where it could be used for something illegal like breach of privacy.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6790 on: July 26, 2013, 02:38:05 am »

In darkly hilarious news, Facebook's log of my Previous Relationships believes I was involved with a highschool friend of mine, who co-casts on Livestreams and Youtube Videos with me. Awesome.

Now every person who considers employing me can bar me for being a gay anti-facebook non-Christian. Woohoo~!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6791 on: July 26, 2013, 02:52:08 am »

Well, worst thing is that that shadow profile also uses information given by your friends. So, if you're ever been tagged, they got you on the database, even if you never made an account.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6792 on: July 26, 2013, 04:30:53 am »

Whenever I hear of people's personal information being dug out through Facebook, I'm prepared.

I have a roll of tape to tape my smug mouth shut.

I never understood how someone can simultaneously value privacy and  post private information on the Internet.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6793 on: July 26, 2013, 04:50:38 am »

Because it's the only way I keep in touch with many people that I care about?

And even though we know it's not currently the case, it's not unreasonable to believe that it should be possible to keep private sections of the internet private.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: July 26, 2013, 06:10:27 am »

Because it's the only way I keep in touch with many people that I care about?

And even though we know it's not currently the case, it's not unreasonable to believe that it should be possible to keep private sections of the internet private.

How so? Chat programs, VoIPs, e-mails and phones have been wiped out?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 759