Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 343

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 277780 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #3675 on: May 18, 2016, 04:52:31 pm »

All the non-Latinized ones seem related to mythological beings however.

So, Latinized words or named after gods. You can sure have an English one as long as it's named after the traditional English pantheon. Don't have your own pantheon? Tough shit.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: May 18, 2016, 05:01:10 pm »

Ah yes, the famous god Copernicus.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: May 18, 2016, 05:11:47 pm »

Ok, you got me, add "famous astronomers" to the allowed list. One of whom is English, btw: Harriot.

Latin fits with scientific nomenclature, Gods fits with traditional naming of stars and planets, and Astronomers, well that just fits with the whole "naming stars" thing, doesn't it?

There's no real English bias on display here.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 05:19:24 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: May 18, 2016, 05:18:31 pm »

Who said anything about bias? The IAU's standards are just arbitrary and pointless.

We have a lot of celestial bodies to go through, no reason to limit ourselves.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: May 18, 2016, 05:30:11 pm »

We have a lot of celestial bodies to go through, no reason to limit ourselves.
Fourth question down...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: May 19, 2016, 04:50:15 am »

("Orbitar" looks a bit proto-"Planety McPlanetface", doesn't it?  ;) )
It's interesting, because apparently it's a contrived name in reference to NASA's orbital operations. I don't quite get why that ended up being "Orbitar" as opposed to "Orbiter" or "Orbita", but there you have it.
It's spacey. Pulsar, Magnetar, etc. The 'tar' is from "star" I think, so it's technically incorrect (it'd be a better name for the sub-star in a dom/sub binary system, an "orbiting star") but whatever.

Descan, please keep your dong out of my stars.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which donít yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: May 19, 2016, 11:06:21 am »

It's interesting, because apparently it's a contrived name in reference to NASA's orbital operations. I don't quite get why that ended up being "Orbitar" as opposed to "Orbiter" or "Orbita", but there you have it.
It's spacey. Pulsar, Magnetar, etc. The 'tar' is from "star" I think, so it's technically incorrect (it'd be a better name for the sub-star in a dom/sub binary system, an "orbiting star") but whatever.

His is the dong that will pierce the heavens.

So, NASA is working on designing a troop of robots called Valkyries to serve as an advance party for colonizing Mars.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: May 19, 2016, 11:11:58 am »

His is the dong that will pierce the heavens.

So, NASA is working on designing a troop of robots called Valkyries to serve as an advance party for colonizing Mars.
Using humanoid robots on a distant planet sounds like a terrible idea, considering how unstable they continue to be even in the best of conditions. If one of them faceplants and can't get back up, that's several million dollars wasted.

What's wrong with good old wheels?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: May 19, 2016, 11:19:11 am »

This just in: Mars will be conquered for humanity by a team of 4 ugly power rangers.

In all seriousness, I'm with Sirus on this. We haven't exactly managed to make full bipedal workable robots on earth yet, why are they considering sending 4 of them to mars to operate on uneven, rocky, dusty terrain?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 11:22:20 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Ispil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: May 19, 2016, 11:45:07 am »

Windy. Don't forget windy.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."- Voltaire

I transcribe things, too.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • For better or worse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: May 19, 2016, 11:49:01 am »

I guess the reasoning is that rovers wouldn't be very good mechanics.
to EXPIRE alone, in the jaws of some BEAST; one ALIKE but far AWAY
a delicate MACHINE, finally BROKEN beyond last hope of REPAIR
FLUIDS escaping, becoming ONE
cold thereafter

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: May 19, 2016, 12:08:19 pm »

That's part of it, yeah. The human form is kind of wobbly when not controlled well, but don't forget that our shape provides an extreme level of versatility. We evolved into this form as a consequence of needing to do...all the things that we do, and it's unlikely that a non-humanoid robot of similar capacity would be able to match a humanoid robot of similar capacity.

For building structures on Mars, that's the kind of versatility and ability we absolutely need. That goes double if what they build is ever inhabited by flesh-and-blood humans, I can just imagine the kind of unforeseen ergonomic failures two-foot tall balls of wheels and welding torches would construct. We'd also have to build a couple hundred more of those than these, thanks to their specialization.

All in all, I get the concern after years of watching clumsy soccer robots, but let's not lose sight of NASA's job being to make the big leaps forward like these. The goal here is to essentially make a robotic copy of the human form. Humans who faceplant can stand up again. So long as they do the job, it'll be fine.

Windy. Don't forget windy.
Mars isn't windy. Or at least not meaningfully windy, as the air pressure is so low even a massive gust can't exert force on the surroundings.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: May 19, 2016, 12:38:20 pm »

This just in: Mars will be conquered for humanity by a team of 4 ugly power rangers.

In all seriousness, I'm with Sirus on this. We haven't exactly managed to make full bipedal workable robots on earth yet, why are they considering sending 4 of them to mars to operate on uneven, rocky, dusty terrain?

Not too worried about that.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: May 19, 2016, 01:03:00 pm »

Didn't google put up boston dynamics for sale not too long ago?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: May 19, 2016, 01:07:08 pm »

@ MetalSlimeHunt: I was actually thinking more along the lines of Curiosity-sized robots. That thing was about the size of a small car, IIRC. Much bigger than most robotic rovers, and with specialized arms I'm sure they could put together pre-fabricated structures.

Not too worried about that.
It's getting there, no question, but still a bit unstable for my tastes. At least if we're talking about sending it several light-minutes away with absolutely no chance of recovery.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 343