Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 475990 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #3631 on: April 17, 2016, 12:06:46 pm »

We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: April 17, 2016, 02:03:31 pm »

We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
New sig?

New sig.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: April 18, 2016, 08:58:30 am »

New sig?

New sig.
Also sig'd.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: April 18, 2016, 09:16:33 am »

I'm ok with being killed a sentient clump of carbon nanotubes which proceeds to take over the galaxy.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: April 25, 2016, 04:19:42 pm »

Scientists at the Dutch 'First Health Pharmaceuticals' company are very enthousiastic about the effectivity in tests of a substance developed by the company, which could combat multiple virusses succesfully, and without chance of developing resistant strains.

It almost sounds too good to be true. A new class of chemicals, developed in the Netherlands, seems to be able to eliminate the H.I.V virus, hepatitis, dengue fever, West Nile virus, and others.
"An astounding breakthrough", and "very effective", the developers call it themselves. Let's test it on live patients first, other researchers caution.

One of the substances, myseriously named (pending proper patenting) "substance 16d" does offer promising results when tested on laboratory-grown human cells, by Spanish and Italian researchers, who have tested the substance for review in the PNAS magazine.
In the first pilot of animal testing, there do not seem to be much side effects either.

"This does set high hopes", says Jan Willem Bakker, researcher at First Health Pharmaceuticals.
Arvind Patel, a virologist at Glasgow university, and not associated with the PNAS research, although he is a co-worker of the Spanish and Italian researchers of that review, agrees. "There still is a long way to go, but what we are seeing here, is very remarkable indeed. A very interesting substance".

Ever since the discovery of penicillin, there has been a broad-spectrum use medicine available against bacteria, but against virusses, we do not have such universally effective medicine yet. With 16d, and and newer variants which are already being tested, First Health Pharmaceuticals thinks they are getting close to finding such medicine.
The substance inhibits the functioning of body's own enzyme called DDX3, which is hijacked by a lot of virusses for reproduction.
In theory this could block the reproduction of every virus which uses DDX3; from herpes to hepatitis c, from noro- to West Nile virus, from zika to H.I.V.

Another big advantage, according to Bakker, is that because it is affecting a body's own enzym, it will be hard for a virus to adapt and develop resistance.
He compares it to a bar at closing time, where, instead of politely asking people to go home, which will always result in some folks still hanging at the bar, the tap is closed, and the stools and chairs removed.
The researchers think it is no problem for the human body itself to go with less functioning DDX3 for a while.

Bakker even thinks that it could defeat a dormant H.I.V. infection. The aids virus has the nasty habit to hide in tissues in a dormant state, to pop out of hiding and multiply at a later date. If this happens when DDX3 is being inhibited "there will be no new virus coming out of that cell, and the cell dies".

"Hopeful, but in a very early stage", says Guus Bol from the University of Utrecht. He is not involved with the 16d research, but has done a lot of research into the DDX3 enzyme. "The hypothesis that inhibiting DDX3 will stop the replication of multiple virusses, is a logical one. And it is very cool that they have managed to show the principle in vitro.
Yet, Both he, and Patel still see bumps on the road. The substance does not readily solve in water, and it concentrated itself in the test animal's fat tissue.
"That could be problematic", says Bol. "We will have to await the results of further animal testing", says Patel.

Bakker thinks ahead optimistically though. He points out that there's already next generation substances being tested which are 'even more effective, and even less toxic", and he expects to have come up with a solution to the solubility in water soon.
He thinks 'fast' virusses like ebola and dengue fever are good candidates for the first human testing pilots, because patients will only use the substance very briefly with those diseases.

Substances inhibiting DDX3 could also prove useful in treating cancer, according to First Health Pharmaceuticals. Particularily in some aggressive tumors, DDX3 is hyperactive. A lot of experts have suspected for a while now that targeting DDX3 could be a smart counter move in those cases.
"We really think tumors are addicted to DDX3", says Guus Bol, who promoted to his doctor's degree on the subject a few years ago.
http://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenschap/onderzoekers-nederlandse-stoffen-effectief-tegen-hiv-en-andere-virussen~a4289314/ (above text is just a translation from the article)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:25:48 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: April 25, 2016, 07:29:05 pm »

Huh! Interrupts a vital part of viral synthesis, and possibly other conditions like cancers, without compromising healthy cell function. That is pretty exciting news.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: April 25, 2016, 08:12:25 pm »

So I just woke up this morning and got annoyed that I don't recall any popular media coverage about Holometer's result so I looked it up.

Turns out that we don't have proof that the universe is holographic yet
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: April 26, 2016, 12:37:41 am »

https://www.inverse.com/article/14614-gene-therapy-makes-bioviva-ceo-elizabeth-parrish-younger-blunter-and-resolute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1TQ1KV1Q2I

Hmm. Company supposedly frustrated with the pace of lawmaking and FDA definitions of disease commences human gene therapy using volunteers and viral gene-insertion techniques. Stated goals are human modification and improvement by replacing genes or toggling dormant genetic switches (re-enabling human Vitamin C Synthesis or healing/regeneration of specific tissues, say), and curing diseases related to aging by treating suspected causes of aging itself, such as Telomere Shortening.

I'm not sure what to think of this, but it seems to involve legit geneticists, studies, etc. I am pretty curious to see what happens with Telomere Lengthening, et al.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:39:19 am by Solifuge »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: April 26, 2016, 06:10:51 am »

https://www.inverse.com/article/14614-gene-therapy-makes-bioviva-ceo-elizabeth-parrish-younger-blunter-and-resolute

Hmm. Company supposedly frustrated with the pace of lawmaking and FDA definitions of disease commences human gene therapy using volunteers and viral gene-insertion techniques. Stated goals are human modification and improvement by replacing genes or toggling dormant genetic switches (re-enabling human Vitamin C Synthesis or healing/regeneration of specific tissues, say), and curing diseases related to aging by treating suspected causes of aging itself, such as Telomere Shortening.

I'm not sure what to think of this, but it seems to involve legit geneticists, studies, etc. I am pretty curious to see what happens with Telomere Lengthening, et al.

This reads like the plot of a superhero movie. Now all we need is for the treatment to go horribly wrong and turn people into monsters.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: April 26, 2016, 06:15:40 am »

!!SCIENCE!! at its finest, that one.

And a full-on antiviral?  Whoa.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: April 26, 2016, 06:17:45 am »

This reads like the plot of a superhero movie. Now all we need is for the treatment to go horribly wrong and turn people into monsters.
One word: teratoma.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • the earth spins very fast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: April 27, 2016, 06:31:31 pm »

all my little transhumanist dreams are coming true

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: April 27, 2016, 06:54:44 pm »

I think the real thing we should be asking is: Tentacle arms when?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • the earth spins very fast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: April 27, 2016, 09:01:28 pm »

You could probably do it now, it's just everyone's too chicken. :P
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 339