Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247122 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #6795 on: July 26, 2013, 06:14:05 am »

S'a lot of facebook users that either can't or won't use those methods, unfortunately.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6796 on: July 26, 2013, 07:00:30 am »

And social network are great for passively staying in contact with other persons. You don't need to activelypen e-mail or call them to know what they're up to and vice-versa.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6797 on: July 26, 2013, 07:08:10 am »

You can also send messages to someone just by knowing their name. No need for email, chat programs etc. Pretty useful imo.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6798 on: July 26, 2013, 10:00:11 am »

And social network are great for passively staying in contact with other persons. You don't need to activelypen e-mail or call them to know what they're up to and vice-versa.

This is the big one.  I can know what's going on in the lives of friends and family who I still care about, but aren't currently a major part of my life and don't communicate with often.  When something's going on with them that's important or I would otherwise have cause to get involved in or comment on, it's easy for me to know and to do so.  My posts do the same for others.

S'a lot of facebook users that either can't or won't use those methods, unfortunately.

And yeah... while the majority of people may be using the internet these days, the majority are not using it to the depth that anyone on this forum likely is.  Most of the people on my facebook list probably don't fully understand and appreciate what IRC or a forum are, or would be very willing to get involved in them.  Most prefer to keep their involvement with the internet light and simple.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6799 on: July 26, 2013, 01:06:41 pm »

Whenever I hear of people's personal information being dug out through Facebook, I'm prepared.

I have a roll of tape to tape my smug mouth shut.

I never understood how someone can simultaneously value privacy and  post private information on the Internet.

I hope your Smugness Duct Tape brings you a feeling of superiority.

Social Networks like Facebook are oriented towards people you know personally; unlike other mediums like IRC, Forums, even Cell Phones, they allow you to search for people you know by name, and seek them out. It's also a form of asynchronous communication; you don't have to both be free at the same time to stay in contact, organize a gathering, etc. It has unique utility, and though I only used it for about a week back in 2005, it pisses me off that Zuckerburg is taking something that should be the next big communications technology, and twisting it into a fucking Surveillance Tool and Data Collection Service.

He's taking something beautiful and new, and ruining it.

BerenErchamion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6800 on: July 26, 2013, 06:23:09 pm »

Interesting.

Facebook appears to have developed a function to export and download a copy of all of an account's personal data. On the surface, this function is only available to the owner of the account... but this seems an exceedingly strange function to create. I mean, you already know who you are, so why would you have a use for that data?

However, if Facebook was in the business of exporting and sharing user data as a cheep, accessible form of background check, I could see why they would create this function.

As has been already noted above, a lot of the data they have on you is stuff they've inferred based on what you've done explicitly.  And EU privacy protection laws require them to make that data available to the individual concerned, in the interests of transparency--you have a right to  know exactly what it is they have on you.

BerenErchamion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6801 on: July 26, 2013, 06:23:50 pm »

Call me opinionated, but I would sooner be unemployed that work for a company that required a Facebook Page as a component of hiring. Even if it's a position I really, really want... I can't condone that. It's invasive and wrong.

In other news... Mark Zucherberg himself has voiced concerns over Facebook's finances being public knowledge now that it's become a Publicly Traded Company. However, apparently Goldman Sachs invested 450 Million with Facebook, and created a "Special Purpose Investment Vehicle" which allows Goldman Sachs to invest in Facebook on behalf of other parties (who themselves pay Goldman Sachs). We only see investments from GS, but who knows what parties are actually investing.

Isn't that basically what a mutual fund is?  How do you know Facebook itself played an active role in this?  They can't control who does and does not buy their stock.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #6802 on: July 26, 2013, 07:25:34 pm »

At least employers only get your facebook data, just image if they went after your forum/s data!

Also, /highfive for anyone that doesn't have a facebook account, if there are any left  (otherwise, self /highfive)
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6803 on: July 26, 2013, 07:48:23 pm »

I have one.  It's necessary for networking purposes.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #6804 on: July 27, 2013, 04:17:18 am »

I have one.  It's necessary for networking purposes.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6805 on: July 27, 2013, 04:51:02 am »

And I refuse to have one. Sue me.

Or rather, I'll sue anyone who denies me a job because of it.

At least employers only get your facebook data, just image if they went after your forum/s data!

Also, /highfive for anyone that doesn't have a facebook account, if there are any left  (otherwise, self /highfive)
/highfive
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6806 on: July 27, 2013, 09:31:56 am »

And I refuse to have one. Sue me.

Or rather, I'll sue anyone who denies me a job because of it.

/highfive

^^^

Also, /highfive.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6807 on: July 27, 2013, 10:08:01 am »

over here it's considered edgy to not have a facebook

careful when highfiving me i have to use gloves when handling myself

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6808 on: July 27, 2013, 10:12:10 am »

/highfive x3
._.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6809 on: July 27, 2013, 03:57:56 pm »

I'm not doing that kind of networking, though.  I do translation, teaching, and mathematics, which means that being in contact with someone who knows somebody is really important.

What I'm trying to say is that it's invaluable as a social utility, barring any stupid company requirements.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 759