Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247665 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #7200 on: August 08, 2013, 09:23:21 am »

It's a really useful thing to say, really. I sometimes wonder if I'd start saying it if I was in their position. If you hear it enough you start taking comfort in it yourself, I find.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7201 on: August 08, 2013, 09:43:00 am »

http://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-irs-manual-detailed-deas-hidden-intel-evidence-005747393.html

That whole rule of law thing? That's only for criminals. Lets forge a trail of evidence because, oh shit, we are using illegal classified intel against people.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7202 on: August 08, 2013, 09:56:50 am »

Speaking of ALLAHUACKBAAAAA*BOOOM*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj0v1V3M10g

Infidel Spider

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7203 on: August 08, 2013, 10:09:01 am »

Interestingly nobody said allahu akbar. Nobody, so I don't know why you made that comment. Hopefully he wasn't killed (might want to include a warning there PatriotSaint, I know the guy laughed so that's why I'm not too worried, but still).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:10:39 am by Owlbread »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7204 on: August 08, 2013, 10:53:40 am »

That video is pretty old. There's been at least one more round of pointedly absurd nuke accusations since that one.

The most recent are around an ammo depot explosion at the start of August. The Syrian Electronic Army (give me a second to stop sniggering) 'hacked' the blog of Jon Snow at Channel 4 and uploaded a story claiming it was a nuclear strike. They did a similar thing with the AP's twitter feed a while back.

Harry's Place's take on the story, with more links.
You know nothin' Jon Snuuuu

In any case, even if it were a tactical nuke there would definitely be no close range footage for obvious reasons.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: August 08, 2013, 11:59:00 am »

Why did they keep saying Allachu Akbar? Is it because they got really excited and they always say that when they feel strong emotions?

It means "God is the greatest," and phrases directly invoking God are an integral part of Arabic idioms.  So, saying that if you're scared, happy, relieved, any unusually intense emotion isn't really surprising.  I mean, how often do we say "Oh my God?"  Or "Goddammit?"  Or "Thank God!" or "In the name of God" or "by goodness" or "thank heavens" or any of those other Christianisms we mostly don't think about?  For most Americans I know, even those who aren't from Abrahamic religions at all, kind of constantly.

I had a friend from Egypt who would always say "I will pray for you.  Pray for me" when we were parting ways.  So, saying that sort of thing constantly is a little bit weird, but what I'm trying to say is that those phrases are usually somewhat more overtly woven into the language.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7206 on: August 08, 2013, 02:17:35 pm »

Interestingly nobody said allahu akbar. Nobody, so I don't know why you made that comment. Hopefully he wasn't killed (might want to include a warning there PatriotSaint, I know the guy laughed so that's why I'm not too worried, but still).

1. He wasn't killed.

2. Nobody said it. So that there's no possible way they could be insurgents! I do wonder why they're playing with RPG launchers, though. Great toys for the kids, I bet.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/10011813/Taliban-little-commandos-in-terror-camp-training-video.html

Welcome to summer camp!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcQkpCKpLGg

After you've successfully lost your childhood, welcome to the world of casual days peacefully herding (remote-detonator) sheep.

And remember, pick any day(s) for bring-your-kid-to-work day! What better way to inspire children to be martyrs successful than using them in lieu of Kevlar vests, less frankly known as "human shields"! (Voluntarily, of course. Of course.)

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/feb/17/taliban-human-shields
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8519507.stm

Hey look, even the Huff covered this!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/17/taliban-using-human-shields_n_465119.html

P.S.

I guess since Michael Moore doesn't say stuff like "OH MY CUBA, I LOVE MAH MONEHS/CHEEZBURGAS" (*cough*, out loud) it's impossible to tell if he's a hypocrite.

*sadly silent sad tear of sadness*

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: August 08, 2013, 02:21:03 pm »

Slow down there, you misunderstood me. I wasn't doubting that they're insurgents, they're most likely FSA, but you said: "Speaking of ALLAHUACKBAAAAA*BOOOM*". Nobody in the video said it, I don't know why you did.

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7208 on: August 08, 2013, 02:26:53 pm »

Slow down there, you misunderstood me. I wasn't doubting that they're insurgents, they're most likely FSA, but you said: "Speaking of ALLAHUACKBAAAAA*BOOOM*". Nobody in the video said it, I don't know why you did.

Ah, fair enough.

I was thinking of what he might have been thinking.

Dunno, maybe I was wrong, and he was thinking,
"I could be herding explosive sheep right now, but they put me on Pest Control Jihad Squad instead."

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7209 on: August 08, 2013, 06:27:16 pm »

What an interesting photo of our commander in chief.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anywho, it turns out even murderers use social media.
http://www.wusa9.com/news/article/269889/158/Alleged-Killer-Posts-Picture-Of-Dead-Wife-On-Facebook
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 06:30:17 pm by Mrhappyface »
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7210 on: August 08, 2013, 06:32:27 pm »

Who's the guy to the left? Is he a secret service agent? Because he seems to be pretty damn big compared to Obama.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7211 on: August 08, 2013, 06:40:18 pm »

ptw

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7213 on: August 08, 2013, 08:02:42 pm »

Oh god the reviews.

"This book is loaded with bullet points towards marital bliss. I hear Derek is a photographer and his wife is modeling for him now. I can't wait to love my wife the way he loved his."

"Mister Medina is an insightful author and counselor, who's treasured story or heartache and triumph is counseling that you owe it to yourself to digest. When faced with the adversity of a troubled marriage he narrates how he sought guidance from God, found the courage to mend burned bridges, and shoot his wife in the head."

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7214 on: August 10, 2013, 06:21:01 pm »

Vector, the main reason for my lack of inspiration for Elysium, is that i highly doubt that it's investors, actors and likely the director have had a sudden change of heart as to wealth distribution, at least on their own parts. A movie made by the first world about the divide between it and the third, with even a passing nod at race judging by the trailer with a white millionaire lead actor. An action movie too for a little bit more palatablity. It's as convincing a sea shift in perspective on the gap between the rich, poor and powerful as Despicable Me is. The only purpose i can discern with any trace of genuineness is a little cultural signposting that you can revolt about this now this much, and you'll even keep Hollywood! How do you expect this to go over outside the west, by the way? Some will buy into it but i hope I'm right when i say most wont.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 06:24:10 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 759