Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247646 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #7231 on: August 11, 2013, 07:00:50 pm »

Why not just turn off the wireless functions of your phone when not in use?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7232 on: August 11, 2013, 07:11:11 pm »

I don't know about your phone, but in my phone that option is tucked away behind a few menus. If there was a quick way to turn wireless on/off (example: the 3DS has a little switch on the side) then I assume a lot of people would do it.

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7233 on: August 11, 2013, 10:11:01 pm »

Speaking of Elysium, it's nice to know people are showing their concern for the "ignorant masses", and to show the evils of being a capitalist by writing a movie attacking everything they are and stand for from the safety, comfort, and luxury of their multi-million-dollar Hollywood Hills houses as they chortle about how intellectual the message of their big-budget film.

"Hardeh hurdeh, this'll stick it to those lame, old-fashioned conservatives. Oh, and trust me, there's no political message or bias in this movie at all. Duh. I'm Matt Damon. Now where's my royalties?"

To quote some of you guys, "CAPITALISM, LAAAWLLZZ" *ahem, "ho"*

Well, at least they're eternally guilty for it on the inside in their tiny consciousnesses. I'm glad they keep their guilt/hypocrisy diaries next to their Saul Alinsky books (tastefully dedicated to "Satan, the first rebel and stuff, yay"), instead of being praised on the AlterNet or some other pathetic polical tabloid. (Well, who knows...)

And it's the (group)thought that counts, not the nonexistent action, after all.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7234 on: August 11, 2013, 10:17:47 pm »

Snarky little bits like that don't exactly do political debate on these forums or yourself much good, PatriotSaint.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 10:21:47 pm by Owlbread »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7235 on: August 11, 2013, 10:51:49 pm »

Wow.....

Anyway.....

To be fair, while a lot of producers, directors, actors, etc are fairly rich in Hollywood, they're not obscenely rich.  I don't actually have a problem with multi-millionaires.  Not until you get up into the multiple hundreds of millions, anyway.  And according to this list, there are only a handful of those in showbiz.  Yeah, they're quite rich.  They enjoy more luxurious lives than most people can ever hope for.  But that in itself isn't really harmful to anyone else.

It's billionaires and fucking multi-billionaires that I have a problem with.  That .001% of the population that has hoarded so much wealth, they could end a good number of the world's problems if they cared to.  People so rich that every one of them could be accused of single-handedly impoverishing millions of others.  And those aren't even the reasons I have a problem with them.  I have a problem with them because they abuse the hell out of their influence to constantly make the world a shittier place.  They kick people out of their homes for no reason, destroy the environment, dismantle civil rights, poison the media, push for war, and flaunt their immunity to the law.

Compared to the likes of the Wal-Mart family, even the richest people in Hollywood are hardly anything.  Millionaires may enjoy a comfortable life as citizens on Elysium, but the billionaire class are like the Armadyne corporation responsible for creating that city and its dominance over everyone else.  I don't think there's anything wrong with someone who happens to be privileged, but isn't primarily responsible for creating and maintaining the nature of that privilege, to be critical of it.  I'm privileged compared to many people in the world, but giving it up isn't going to help them.  In fact, it would only hinder my ability to do anything meaningful about it.

Having said that, I don't think the movie is making such a statement because they actually mean it.  I think they just recognize that it's a popular theme right now that's easy to cash in on.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7236 on: August 12, 2013, 01:27:55 am »

Dunno, I agree with most of what you said above (common sense is refreshing)m you don't really think Bill Gates and Friends holds meetings with the agenda:

"It Is Our Duty To Set Out To:

1. Evict people for fun.

2. Celebrate Pollution!

3. Immunity! Yaaaaaahhh! (Strangely similar to government leaders)

4. Other Assorted Evil Stuff

@ Owlbread

In that case, I'm not sure why this snarky comment from this particular person is worth singling out above all others.

By the apparent criteria, isn't "capitalism, ho!" (And plenty of other wonderful punchlines) itself worthy of a blown whistle and a forum bandaid?

I was wondering what reaction I would get from that...  ;)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7237 on: August 12, 2013, 01:32:21 am »

I don't know, Gates himself gives out a lot of money and is pretty much personally responsible for wiping out a third world illness or two... The most criticism you will find is that people also want a piece of the pie going to their charity of choice. Maybe I'm wrong, but he seems alright.

The difference between a movie star and a corporate CEO is that the star made money from using a skill, while the CEO is making money exploiting workers. Yes they are both rich, but how they got there is important.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7238 on: August 12, 2013, 01:33:03 am »

PatriotSaint, calm down a bit.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7239 on: August 12, 2013, 01:34:46 am »

Patriot, it's more along the lines of:

• We want money.
  • Lower costs at all times possible. Maximize profits at all times possible.

And once corporations realize they can just lobby themselves more money, control consumer spending to attain more money, cut every corner off a circle to get more money, destroy the opposition to monopolize the money etc. you end up where America is at now. Glorious United States of Coca Cola.

Capitalism is not corporatism.

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7240 on: August 12, 2013, 01:41:59 am »

Patriot, it's more along the lines of:

• We want money.
  • Lower costs at all times possible. Maximize profits at all times possible.

And once corporations realize they can just lobby themselves more money, control consumer spending to attain more money, cut every corner off a circle to get more money, destroy the opposition to monopolize the money etc. you end up where America is at now. Glorious United States of Coca Cola.

Capitalism is not corporatism.

Huh?

Oh, I wasn't talking about capitalism vs. corporatism, I was talking about the nefarious agenda of the League of Billionaires.

On that note, it's worth noting how everything reliably stayed downhill during and after the Progressive Era (yes, including the Great Depression, because it's all Wilson's fault, 'cause he wasn't a Progressive at all, right? Right? *cough*

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7241 on: August 12, 2013, 01:48:02 am »

I don't know, Gates himself gives out a lot of money and is pretty much personally responsible for wiping out a third world illness or two... The most criticism you will find is that people also want a piece of the pie going to their charity of choice. Maybe I'm wrong, but he seems alright.

The difference between a movie star and a corporate CEO is that the star made money from using a skill, while the CEO is making money exploiting workers. Yes they are both rich, but how they got there is important.

But Bill Gates is a corporate executive, or at least was, for that matter.

A paradox, ain't it?

Anyway;

In other words, one group makes their fortune by pretending to be people they aren't and devolving into acting and being exactly like the idiots they often play, and literally being actors, not as a job, but a lonely lifestyle, and the other makes their fortune by exploiting workers, just like Good ol' Bill.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7242 on: August 12, 2013, 02:13:17 am »

I'm pretty sure we aren't as single-minded as you seem to think. Pointin at a few good-acting billionaires and saying "Ha! See! Some of them are okay!" isn't going to get more than a shrug and a "Yeah, so?" from most of us.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7243 on: August 12, 2013, 02:15:40 am »

If Gates was your typical rich guy, he wouldn't have made a full time job out of convincing other rich guys to give away more money. They would just do it themselves... There will always be good people, doesn't change the fact that Starbucks doesn't pay tax.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7244 on: August 12, 2013, 02:19:48 am »

Quote from: PatriotSaint
*stuff*

People with alot of power tend to want more money/power. And while people are not going out to do evil per se, the negative consequences of their actions taken whilst aquiring more money/power may outweigh any positives gained for people other then themselves.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:19:40 am by alexandertnt »
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 759