Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247017 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #7517 on: August 18, 2013, 05:36:47 pm »

Quote from: My thoughts, seeing the headline
♪Hallelujah, Michael row the boat a-shore.♫

My guess for why more extremist people don't flee the country is simply that most are not that extreme.

And, to dampen the flaming liberalism of the article a smidge, what American would move to any of those other places just to practice anti-homosexuality? They just want Modern America - liberals + Bible Law.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2781#comic

That's the second smbc comic I've seen here on bay12 in the past couple of days. I think I'm convinced to read it now.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7518 on: August 18, 2013, 05:41:23 pm »

And, to dampen the flaming liberalism of the article a smidge, what American would move to any of those other places just to practice anti-homosexuality? They just want Modern America - liberals + Bible Law.
Aren't there those ones that head off to Africa and whatnot to do just that? Blazes if I can remember any sources of it off the top of my head, but Americans jumping country to push (often violent) anti-homosexuality in other nations more sympathetic to such things is actually a thing, if my memory's not failing me. S'a bit of a problem, really, since they often bring resources (of varying sorts) to folks that are, y'know, killing people et al.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7519 on: August 18, 2013, 06:05:14 pm »

Around here, the violent anti-gay bigots hang out in places that gay people live.  They beat up random strangers, and hope that they get the gay ones. :<

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7520 on: August 19, 2013, 09:21:07 pm »

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/ontario-police-aware-hateful-letter-telling-family-euthanize-171036930.html

... Abhorrent. "Euthanize?" How lovely....

See, first (after the reform era) they had mental institutions called "asylums," and at least in theory they were called that as a place of refuge. That is, it was a place of refuge for the mentally ill, from you, everyone else.... They were supposed to be places where the insane could seek respite from the world, which nature in its cruelty did not give them the ability to deal with fairly. Sadly the reality was that these places ended up being terrible. Now, nobody wants to pay to establish, run and properly maintain these places, so logically, we have to have severely mentally disabled people out in the world. Again, won't pay for proper treatment, so by default they are left out in the world (hence why many homeless people have mental illnesses).

So, not wanting to properly pay for inpatient care, outpatient treatment, or any type of services for this poor child, the neighbor just thinks the kid should be dead or at least not within earshot.... NIMBY (Not in my back yard).

One of the problems with treating people as their medical condition is that it becomes so much easier to dehumanize them. It's so much easier to gloss over things like an individual's rights, or freedoms. No, they become "a disease" with ... terrible ... awful symptoms.... And not to worry, there is a cure for said disease, or at least a treatment--cruelty... We are cruel and seek a way to justify it....

I look at this line of thinking with such disdain....

That person is hurting, unjustly as a rule. Rather than contempt, compassion?

http://news.yahoo.com/scalia-court-shouldnt-invent-minorities-221932818.html

Ever since, the whole Corporations can behind the scenes bribe, I mean campaign contribution "Corporations are people with free speech rights" ~ Citizens United.... You've lost any and all credibility from that point onward in my eyes. Because, if you follow this logic, then Brown v. Board of Education would've never happened. I mean hey, by this line of thinking, Brown v. Board should've been decided the other way until and unless Congress decided to pass a law forbidding segregation of black people and white people.... Pre existing things like the US Constitution aren't good enough? 14th amendment's right to life liberty and property not good enough?  Equal protection clause? Pick one.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:10:08 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7521 on: August 19, 2013, 09:36:47 pm »

While screaming children are horrible regardless of mental capacity, that is not an appropriate response.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7522 on: August 20, 2013, 02:32:48 am »

I also love how apparently  being able to go outside is a special treatment.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7523 on: August 20, 2013, 03:01:46 am »

...the kid screams and that's an excuse for euthanasia?
Don't all kids scream? She has children too, right? Excuse me, do her children scream too? Because if they do, then clearly they are unable to properly exist in society and must be purged.
Society after all is made only for those who do not scream, who obey the laws, and are genetically perfect under all points of view. //sarcasm mode off now.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7524 on: August 20, 2013, 06:06:28 am »

Can we fund a trip to space for the noisy kids?  :P
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7525 on: August 20, 2013, 06:20:18 am »

That's the problem with this country, nobody thinks anybody is entitled to anything. Somehow "entitled" became a bad word.... "Entitled," applied to common usage and common people was one of the most noble things we've ever done as a species.

The idea that you can't just do things to people, because they were entitled to certain rights which cannot be ignored and which they can invoke, was a good one.

Please don't quote me.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #7526 on: August 20, 2013, 07:57:04 am »

No no, see, nobody thinks anyone else is entitled to any rights or privileges. They, of course, are entitled to everything.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7527 on: August 20, 2013, 09:52:19 am »

Somehow "entitled" became a synonym for "spoiled". As in, "Ugh, they are so entitled!"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7528 on: August 20, 2013, 11:56:10 am »

Somehow "entitled" became a synonym for "spoiled". As in, "Ugh, they are so entitled!"
I think it started off as people being too lazy to say "They feel like they're entitled to everything".
Then "They feel so entitled".
Then just "They're so entitled".
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7529 on: August 20, 2013, 11:59:28 am »

I think it started off as people being too lazy to say "They feel like they're entitled to everything".
Then "They feel so entitled".
Then just "They're so entitled".
It's Newspeak.
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 759