Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244329 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #7950 on: January 14, 2014, 05:03:49 pm »

Now, if you're talking about body armour - that shit is expensive. Tailoring it exclusively for women, is expensive.

Whereas tailoring it exclusively for men is business as usual.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7951 on: January 14, 2014, 05:09:23 pm »

Now, if you're talking about body armour - that shit is expensive. Tailoring it exclusively for women, is expensive.

Well, yes, it is precisely business as usual since your average armour will be tailored for a man due to the percentage of women in the military.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7952 on: January 14, 2014, 05:10:59 pm »

Pretty much yeah. The Murricans are designing good armour for a different kind of soldier with different physiology, so they're going to have to throw more money into research before the costs start going down and it just becomes business as usual for both sexes. They only just started development for female body armour in 2009, whereas male body armour had been developing since... Armour.

That armor probably exists thanks to people like the ones in the article.
Cracked? More likely not, I'd chock it down to the ones in the BBC article. That's more to do with the BBC article actually saying the armour was put into development on suggestion of some female soldiers, and less to do with my natural distrust of cracked.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7953 on: January 14, 2014, 05:14:22 pm »

That armor probably exists thanks to people like the ones in the article.
Cracked? More likely not, I'd chock it down to the ones in the BBC article. That's more to do with the BBC article actually saying the armour was put into development on suggestion of some female soldiers, and less to do with my natural distrust of cracked.

Don't be absurd.  I was talking about the women in the article.  That's why I said "in the article".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7954 on: January 14, 2014, 05:18:45 pm »

They only just started development for female body armour in 2009, whereas male body armour had been developing since... Armour.

Must I remind you that people like Joan of Arc and Tomoe Gozen existed?

No, armor is not historically only used by men and designed for men.  This is ridiculous.

Oh, and lest you assume it was only those two exceptional women, let me just link and link.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 05:23:02 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7955 on: January 14, 2014, 05:22:14 pm »

Let me make sure I understand.

>Equipment is only manufactured for the average soldier, who at the moment is a man
>Only soldiers with effective equipment should be deployed in combat
>Only soldiers deployed in combat advance in rank efficiently
>Rank advancement determines who makes decisions like equipment manufacture priorities
>Possibility of advancement is also a major incentive to enlist
>People wonder why women don't enlist
>OR People wonder why women want "special treatment"
>OR People think this is a good way of deterring women from serving, but aren't willing to admit that they don't think women should serve, for fear of accusations of sexism
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7956 on: January 14, 2014, 05:26:25 pm »

They only just started development for female body armour in 2009, whereas male body armour had been developing since... Armour.

No, armor is not historically only used by men and designed for men.  This is ridiculous.

There was a single Joan of Arc in the entire army. And she was kinda popular, so getting a custom-made armour was not that big of a problem for her. The next instance (in Europe/Americas) of a suit of armour specifically designed for a woman is what, hundred years later? Two? Three? Either way, that's an exception, not the rule.

Even when there were women who served in the military, most of the time they would have to conceal the fact they are not men and thus wear armour made for a man.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7957 on: January 14, 2014, 05:30:59 pm »

And she was kinda popular, so getting a custom-made armour was not that big of a problem for her.

And therefore development and design of female body armor did not start in 2009.  The first instance was at least 1,000 years ago.

Mainstream design?  Perhaps... but we did not discuss mainstream design.  We didn't say "the first instance of a man wearing armor didn't count as development of male armor because not many people were wearing it."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7958 on: January 14, 2014, 05:31:17 pm »

In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7959 on: January 14, 2014, 05:35:32 pm »

i love how people want women to serve in the military but don't consider for a single moment that at this point of the world's existence the west has very little use for armies at all

surely if they were scaled down to a sane amount, women would have no problems regarding equality since for one the logistics argument would be abolished on the spot

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7960 on: January 14, 2014, 05:39:31 pm »

The problem is one of culture, not pragmatism.  I don't think downsizing will solve it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7961 on: January 14, 2014, 05:52:03 pm »

Well this totally didn't turn into a stupid rant about historical accuracy, rather than looking at the economics of why this is happening.
The more you make of a single thing, the cheaper it is to make. Ideally the cheapest way to make body armor is to only have a single fit for everybody, but sadly that just doesn't work, so instead they look at what will fit the largest chunk of people. In this case there are a lot more males, and men tend to have a more homogeneous body shape, so it is a lot easier to fit them all. There is male body armor because numbers and similarities, not because penis. There are men who have trouble getting fitting armor too! That is just what happens when your body shape doesn't conform to one of the sizes they are financially able to produce.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7962 on: January 14, 2014, 05:52:38 pm »

Forgive me if I continue to vouch over the women in the BBC one against Cracked. In my eyes if no sources are named, the least amount of distrust can be awarded to the most reputable reporter.

i love how people want women to serve in the military but don't consider for a single moment that at this point of the world's existence the west has very little use for armies at all

surely if they were scaled down to a sane amount, women would have no problems regarding equality since for one the logistics argument would be abolished on the spot
The West has been involved in quite a few wars in the past 30 years.

I don't know who Tomoe Gozen is other than she's Japanese, and my extent of Japanese knowledge goes to katanas and their gorrilion folds amongst other things. When European women fought they wore the same cheap male armour available, tailored to them if they were wealthy or had wealthy patrons. Look at the Order of the Hatchet - they fought in whatever armour was around, naturally it was all the clothing and armor of blokes. Joan of Arc for your example is wearing pretty regular gothic plate in her sole painting. Most of the big general women of European history didn't tend to fight in the front lines, and so like Elizabeth the I never felt the need to commission themselves armour.

Armour is historically predominately used by men and designed by men. When women fought in armour they fought in mens' armour. Whilst not uncommon, it wasn't common, and was a practice quickly replaced by the emergence of professional armies until it was really freaking rare and confined to individuals.

And therefore development and design of female body armor did not start in 2009.  The first instance was at least 1,000 years ago.
Mainstream design?  Perhaps... but we did not discuss mainstream design.  We didn't say "the first instance of a man wearing armor didn't count as development of male armor because not many people were wearing it."
Eh? I mean sure, if you really want to get into semantics, no new advanced product was made or developed.
Just to expand this further; let's say they bothered to reshape a new suit of armour for Joan of Arc. That's a millennium between the constant development of body armor for men and the modern revisions for women. I'm not even sure what's the point of bringing this up, since the whole argument is:
Which I've already covered, so before this just gets recursive I'm going to end my post here before ninjas lengthen it further - it'd still just be business as usual.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7963 on: January 14, 2014, 05:53:47 pm »

I wonder how hard tailoring body armour would be. >___>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7964 on: January 14, 2014, 05:57:26 pm »

I wonder how hard tailoring body armour would be. >___>

if you want to make me body armor i will consider letting you try tailor it for me

Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 759