Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244366 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #7965 on: January 14, 2014, 05:58:29 pm »

Well this totally didn't turn into a stupid rant about historical accuracy, rather than looking at the economics of why this is happening.
Thank you.

That said, I'm still reasonably confident that 15% is a large enough chunk to merit spending the dosh to ensure that they can actually serve properly, so I disagree with the rest of your post. This is a military that spends hundreds of millions on individual planes. A military that gets 58% of the United State's discretionary spending (or ~20% of its total). You're seriously telling me that effective body armor for an extra body type is what's going to break the camel's back, here? When it enables over 100,000 extra troops to serve with significantly greater efficiency?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7966 on: January 14, 2014, 06:02:14 pm »

I wonder how hard tailoring body armour would be. >___>
I reckon the difficulty's not in the actual tailoring, since the private sector seems to manage that at a moderate cost with little difference between male and female armour. Now, making armour that could be mass produced to fit most women, that would be where I reckon they have to think.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The US armed forces of course have plenty of money to throw around, so there is no longer an issue of equipment either.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7967 on: January 14, 2014, 06:02:56 pm »

That said, I'm still reasonably confident that 15% is a large enough chunk to merit spending the dosh to ensure that they can actually serve properly, so I disagree with the rest of your post. This is a military that spends hundreds of millions on individual planes. A military that gets 58% of the United State's discretionary spending (or ~20% of its total). You're seriously telling me that effective body armor for an extra body type is what's going to break the camel's back, here? When it enables over 100,000 extra troops to serve with significantly greater efficiency?
You are assuming those 15% all require the exact same fit, almost impossible. It is, however, possible that making fits for those 15% may very well require more variants than the remaining 85% combined.
It isn't just "Female Armor", because that wouldn't fit everybody. It is "Female Armor 1" + "Female Armor 2" + "Female Armor 3"... You get the idea.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7968 on: January 14, 2014, 06:04:53 pm »

@Loud Whispers

Ah, thank you. I don't know how I missed that. I'm... I'm just gonna let that post serve as my reply to Max White.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7969 on: January 14, 2014, 06:05:30 pm »

I wonder how hard tailoring body armour would be. >___>
I reckon the difficulty's not in the actual tailoring, since the private sector seems to manage that at a moderate cost with little difference between male and female armour. Now, making armour that could be mass produced to fit most women, that would be where I reckon they have to think.
I'm thinking more like have two basic body types, one for the more feminine style and one for the more masculine style. And for soldiers that diverge wildly enough that it impacts their performance, tailor it so they can be more effective.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7970 on: January 14, 2014, 06:07:35 pm »

It isn't just "Female Armor", because that wouldn't fit everybody. It is "Female Armor 1" + "Female Armor 2" + "Female Armor 3"... You get the idea.

How is this different than for men, again?  Convince me.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7971 on: January 14, 2014, 06:12:09 pm »

It isn't. Except making an armor type for each 28% of army is more justifiable economically than making one for 5%.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7972 on: January 14, 2014, 06:13:13 pm »

The US armed forces of course have plenty of money to throw around, so there is no longer an issue of equipment either.
So in other words "tailoring" (insofar as making something roughly the right shape constitutes tailoring) body armour to women was judged to be worthwhile.  Doesn't this mean your argument about female body armour being insanely exotic and expensive is wrong?  The source in the Cracked argument correctly identified an issue that is now being fixed, and there's no need to try and defend the old status quo.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 06:16:24 pm by Leafsnail »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7973 on: January 14, 2014, 06:14:21 pm »

Male armor 1 fits 30% of people, Female armor 1 fits 3% of people. I'm getting more bang for my buck equipping the 30%, regardless of their anatomy.

Heck, historically many armies had high restrictions for this very reason. Couldn't be too short or tall, because you wouldn't fit.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7974 on: January 14, 2014, 06:16:43 pm »

Male armor 1 fits 30% of people, Female armor 1 fits 3% of people. I'm getting more bang for my buck equipping the 30%, regardless of their anatomy.

Heck, historically many armies had high restrictions for this very reason. Couldn't be too short or tall, because you wouldn't fit.

Do you mean 3% of people in the total army, or are you saying that female body types are so different that you'd need 33 different types of armor to equip the whole female population--as opposed to men, who have only 3 body types?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7975 on: January 14, 2014, 06:17:57 pm »

So in other words "tailoring" (insofar as making something roughly the right shape constitutes tailoring) body armour to women was judged to be worthwhile.  Doesn't this mean your argument about female body armour being insanely exotic and expensive is wrong?  The source in the Cracked argument correctly identified an issue that is now being fixed, and there's no need to try and defend the old status quo.

I can't see anyone defending status quo of pre-female armor. At worst people are explaining why it didn't happen earlier.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7976 on: January 14, 2014, 06:18:41 pm »

@Bauglir no probs

The Cracked article adressed an issue that was not an issue, because they are talking about it in 2014 when it was already undergoing live trials in 2012. There is no argument because there is nothing to argue. It's expensive; the Americans want female body armour, the Americans have the money and are using it to develop it. What's the fuss about?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7977 on: January 14, 2014, 06:20:05 pm »

Do you mean 3% of people in the total army, or are you saying that female body types are so different that you'd need 33 different types of armor to equip the whole female population--as opposed to men, who have only 3 body types?
3% of total people, otherwise I would have said 3% of women. Heck some of those people with Male Armor 1 may very well be women who just find the fit works for them, while some guys might be missing a good fit could be part of that 3% that Female Armor 1 would be acceptable for.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7978 on: January 14, 2014, 06:26:25 pm »

Okay, I misread your previous argument, then--I thought you meant that there was greater female body diversity than male body diversity, and confused myself.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7979 on: January 14, 2014, 06:28:55 pm »

Okay, I misread your previous argument, then--I thought you meant that there was greater female body diversity than male body diversity, and confused myself.
Well I'm under the impression this is also true, although there is no maths of science behind it, simply experience with clothes shopping, knowing that there are a lot more different fitting clothes for different female body types than male. Men have an easier time fitting into stuff because we don't have breasts to contend with. They tend to vary in size, and it is a logistical pain in the ass.
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 759