Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 535 536 [537] 538 539 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247655 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #8040 on: February 14, 2014, 12:10:24 am »

Kansas Gay Segregation Bill.

Heyyyyy I AM NOT VERY CALM OR COOL RIGHT NOW
Huh I was feeling pretty good about this day and then nope. Holy shit, the mental gymnastics to pitch this garbage as anti-discrimination... Just. Wow. I thought such madness was only found in legend and folklore.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8041 on: February 14, 2014, 12:11:17 am »

Well yea, I guess. Still, when religious schools decide that girls shouldn't be taught to read and write, and substitute their education for sewing and cooking don't even say I didn't warn you.
I'm sure plenty of the people behind this would agree with that sort of thing. After all:
Quote from: 1 Timothy 2:12
I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8042 on: February 14, 2014, 12:17:27 am »

Technically, that would merely prohibit a female teacher from having a class that isn't all girls. *pointless pedantry*

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8043 on: February 14, 2014, 12:20:27 am »

Well yea, I guess. Still, when religious schools decide that girls shouldn't be taught to read and write, and substitute their education for sewing and cooking don't even say I didn't warn you.
I'm sure plenty of the people behind this would agree with that sort of thing. After all:
Quote from: 1 Timothy 2:12
I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.
Are you actually reading through 1 Timothy because that religious rapper in the video you linked kept quoting it?  :P

Anyway if there is one state in the US where it is legal, expect it to happen. The population is large enough that people who want to live a certain way can gang up and assume the critical number of people required. There is little doubt in my mind that enough people want to educate their children like that for it to happen.

Technically, that would merely prohibit a female teacher from having a class that isn't all girls. *pointless pedantry*
I guess they could interpret the "She must be quiet" line with a little more significance than that... I wonder if there is any legal precedent for challenging legal documents like this one as unconstitutional, what with separation of church and state and all that.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8044 on: February 14, 2014, 12:33:42 am »

Are you actually reading through 1 Timothy because that religious rapper in the video you linked kept quoting it?  :P
No, just one verse among many I memorized between my time as a Christian and my experiences afterwards. I haven't actually read a Bible directly in several years now.
I wonder if there is any legal precedent for challenging legal documents like this one as unconstitutional, what with separation of church and state and all that.
There's plenty. For one thing, this fails the Lemon Test hard.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8045 on: February 14, 2014, 12:44:46 am »

Now, we need a Muslim saying this will finally allow him to stop serving women, and the bil will fold down.

More seriously, it sucks for all the people that'll be targeted by this bill between now and the striking down.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8046 on: February 14, 2014, 12:46:43 am »

I wonder if there is any legal precedent for challenging legal documents like this one as unconstitutional, what with separation of church and state and all that.
There's plenty. For one thing, this fails the Lemon Test hard.
Aye. As blatant as this is, I can't think but that it'll eventually get dragged before the Supreme Court and stomped on. That'll take a while though, and in the meantime...
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8047 on: February 14, 2014, 12:48:37 am »

It doesn't have to go all the way to SCOTUS to stop being enforced. It could be struck down without stay even by a state court and not be enacted between then and SCOTUS.
No Gods, No Masters.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8048 on: February 14, 2014, 12:51:54 am »

True; that'd be the likely route. I'm just being a pessimist.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8049 on: February 14, 2014, 12:52:32 am »

Actually there might be one legal keyword that provides some cover that I missed on my first read through...

Provide any services, accommodations, advantages, facilities,
goods, or privileges; provide counseling, adoption, foster care and other
social services; or provide employment or employment benefits, related to,
or related to the celebration of, any marriage, domestic partnership, civil
union or similar arrangement;

So you an discriminate on the basis of any sort of relationship between two people (Meaning literally everybody with how vaguely it is worded, unless you live in a cave and never talk to anybody) but only if they are explicitly celebrating it? But then I don't see how things like adoption, foster care or employment would ever relate to any specific ceremony, so I expect this keyword to largely be ignored.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8050 on: February 14, 2014, 12:55:14 am »

It or the celebration of it.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8051 on: February 14, 2014, 12:58:32 am »

Right... Fucking legal documents!
It is interesting just how much effort they put into defining a religious organisation (And was sure to include businesses and all that good stuff) but literally none into 'similar arrangements'. I mean really, how similar is similar? Does it count if you live in the same house and provide financial support? Every shared rent house in the state is now a hotbed for homosexual sin!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8052 on: February 14, 2014, 02:22:01 am »

I, High Priest Misantrope of the First Church of Grognard, hereby declare that we find all happy and unabuse relationships, between two persons or more, to be highly affrontical to our faith and religion.
Love, scriver~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8053 on: February 14, 2014, 02:25:50 am »

I, High Priest Misantrope of the First Church of Grognard, hereby declare that we find all happy and unabuse relationships, between two persons or more, to be highly affrontical to our faith and religion.
You misspelled my name :V

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8054 on: February 14, 2014, 06:57:01 am »

This lady just made a video about a proposed feminism 2.0.
Tl;dr, we Lysistrata now, and the video has managed to anger everyone. Is her proposition good, bad, or a mix of the two?
Pages: 1 ... 535 536 [537] 538 539 ... 759