Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 534 535 [536] 537 538 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244295 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #8025 on: January 19, 2014, 12:34:34 pm »

Nazis didn't simply hate jews. They are the Jew-haters. They deigned themselves anointed by god to eradicate Jewish blood both from within and without. They created elaborate formulas to determine how Aryan you were, and had another for how contaminated you are for having a Jewish grandparent.

Torquemada did it before.. There's nothing particularily new about Nazi antisemitism. For that matter, you can find examples of ethnic groups massacring other ethnic groups way back in history. The only singular thing about the nazis is that they made an industry out of massacres of civilians, which meant carrying them out at a scale never seen before.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8026 on: February 13, 2014, 11:01:19 pm »

Kansas Gay Segregation Bill.

Heyyyyy I AM NOT VERY CALM OR COOL RIGHT NOW
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8027 on: February 13, 2014, 11:08:43 pm »

On a similar note, a rapper by the name of Bizzle made a..."cover" of Same Love recently.

I don't have much to say that I haven't said on here before when it comes to religion and civil liberties.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8028 on: February 13, 2014, 11:12:06 pm »

Holy. Shit.

I just skimmed the article, but it sounds horrifying. The worst part IMO: Any state employee can deny his services to gay people - which becomes even more chilling if you consider what would will happen when a homophobic police officer becomes a witness of a hate crime.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8029 on: February 13, 2014, 11:20:29 pm »

Or medical personnel turn away someone badly or fatally injured. Which, as near as I can tell, the bill would allow.

Codified hatred's as sickening as it ever is, bleh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8030 on: February 13, 2014, 11:21:25 pm »

If I recall correctly, technically the bill requires that somebody serve gay people when it come to the public sector, but still horrible.

Anyway, the good news is that this would most likely not be considered "neutral on its face", and thus subject to far stricter judgement by the courts.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 11:23:39 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8031 on: February 13, 2014, 11:26:17 pm »

They also have a similar bill pending in Oregon.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8032 on: February 13, 2014, 11:27:28 pm »

I thought it was a referendum?
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8033 on: February 13, 2014, 11:28:38 pm »

I do not know what the difference between those two things is, so I will just say "Oregon's got it on its mind too."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8034 on: February 13, 2014, 11:30:04 pm »

I do not know what the difference between those two things is, so I will just say "Oregon's got it on its mind too."
Bills are voted on by the legislature, referendums are voted on by the whole voting population.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8035 on: February 13, 2014, 11:38:32 pm »

is it just me or is it initially worded as if it were a bill against gay segregation but then it has everything else saying it does in fact segregate gays

weird puzzle shit i tell you

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8036 on: February 13, 2014, 11:40:03 pm »

They're arguing that the necessity to treat gay people as human is oppressive to the Christian population.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8037 on: February 13, 2014, 11:53:03 pm »

So here is the actual bill.
Is that the standard for legal documents in Kansas? My god it is practically legible, do they not have a single lawyer able to convolute it a little? Still, while this law might be drafted with homosexuality in mind, I have bad news for women (And men I guess, but fuck it this is Kansas) and transsexuals.

Section 1. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no individual
or religious entity shall be required by any governmental entity to do any
of the following, if it would be contrary to the sincerely held religious
beliefs of the individual or religious entity regarding sex or gender:

Technically they didn't even use the word sexuality, so you could make a legal case that this law can't be applied to homosexuals.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8038 on: February 13, 2014, 11:58:32 pm »

Well they could just make the case that when they say "regarding sex and gender" that includes everything that a specific gender "should" be doing. i.e males shouldn't have relationships with other males. Which this argument has even more terrifying implications since it could be easily expanded to include just about anything.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8039 on: February 14, 2014, 12:01:03 am »

Well yea, I guess. Still, when religious schools decide that girls shouldn't be taught to read and write, and substitute their education for sewing and cooking don't even say I didn't warn you.
Pages: 1 ... 534 535 [536] 537 538 ... 759