Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244301 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #8130 on: February 14, 2014, 05:34:24 pm »

Pretty sure it's a rule by now. You can't mention public surveillance without making an Orwellian allusion.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8131 on: February 14, 2014, 05:36:06 pm »

The point is that first people consider any rape that's not stranger danger "not what rape is really like," tell women that it's their fault and need to protect themselves--and that 1/6 of them will be raped, and then guys feel offended by the women, as opposed to by the rapists causing this problem, if they're asked to give lone women late at night a wide berth.

*shrog*
Ah yes, the male hivemind that controls every facet of society. Forgot about that one.

...I'm not sure whether to comment on your post itself or on the ridiculousness of posting something like that right after another jump-to-conclusions argument has just been dissolved.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8132 on: February 14, 2014, 07:42:26 pm »

Anyway, since we're not allowed to walk between extremes, let's turn in another direction.

Mass surveillance, Cameras on Every corner, personal drones following you home, ensuring everyone is save and secure.
Tl;dr: London

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8133 on: February 14, 2014, 08:01:41 pm »

I once accidentally shot myself in the crotch with pepper spray.  (I thought "pepper blaster" mean it was a strange kind of pepper grinder). I can report that capsaicin is quite effective incapacitating me for several hours.
The great game of Warlocks!

Steeled

• Bay Watcher
  • 1. To cover, plate, edge, or point with steel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8134 on: February 14, 2014, 09:11:15 pm »

I'm not sure what people have against public surveillance... There are enough cameras in Sydney that police can have some control over street crime, although the interesting effect here is that while crime continues to go down, publicity of that crime goes up and people think it is becoming more of a problem, so anti-crime policy gets more and more extreme, and that might be a good thing to some degree, just not as draconian as we see here.

Do you work for the NSA? Because it sounds like you work for the NSA.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8135 on: February 14, 2014, 09:13:12 pm »

If I did, do you really think I would still use the internet, knowing what we do?

Steeled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8136 on: February 14, 2014, 09:28:13 pm »

If I did, do you really think I would still use the internet, knowing what we do?
You have to garner support somehow. Also if senators, congress and assemblymen can except themselves from laws, I'd think a government agency would look after their own.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8137 on: February 14, 2014, 09:39:55 pm »

Isn't the NSA controversy due to private rather than public surveillance though?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8138 on: February 14, 2014, 09:43:02 pm »

Honestly? We can't really tell the difference most of the time. Data is data, and after all, the guys at the pirate bay insist copying isn't stealing, so it isn't like we are actually taking anything.

Steeled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8139 on: February 14, 2014, 09:53:31 pm »

Isn't the NSA controversy due to private rather than public surveillance though?
So the government openly watching your every movement is better than them secretly watching your every move? The government shouldn't be allowed to do either without a permit, and then they shouldn't be allowed to spy on a few hundred million people.
The federal government shouldn't be able to have such vast powers, and people should stop thinking it's a good thing. When the former head of the KGB says he's jealous of the NSA and how he'd never be able to get away with that people should realize somethings wrong.

Why people feel such a compelling need to give away their rights to a faceless, unaccountable government I have no idea.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8140 on: February 14, 2014, 10:00:02 pm »

You know, I wouldn't really care if something watched my every move if I had any confidence it was just doing it impassively as opposed to selling all my secrets to the highest bidder and generally using it to be the Legion of Doom.

Basically, surveillance would be alright if it wasn't synonymous with complete, absolute dickitude. Which, y'know good luck with that.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8141 on: February 14, 2014, 10:04:40 pm »

There are potential problems with monitoring public areas, but the arguments are pretty different to those against monitoring people's private communications (stuff that people reasonably expected to be kept secret).  Conflating the two doesn't help your argument at all.

Steeled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8142 on: February 14, 2014, 10:18:46 pm »

There are potential problems with monitoring public areas, but the arguments are pretty different to those against monitoring people's private communications (stuff that people reasonably expected to be kept secret).  Conflating the two doesn't help your argument at all.
I don't believe the government should have the right to do either. Recently a us police department said their was nothing wrong with them using aerial surveillance to observe residential areas and that people were silly for caring that they could see into their fenced backyards.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8143 on: February 14, 2014, 10:26:35 pm »

I don't believe the government should have the right to do either. Recently a us police department said their was nothing wrong with them using aerial surveillance to observe residential areas and that people were silly for caring that they could see into their fenced backyards.
Again, public is different to private.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Steeled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8144 on: February 14, 2014, 10:44:33 pm »

Again, public is different to private.
Are you telling me that people have no expectation of privacy in their own fenced in backyards?
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 759