Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247536 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #9360 on: February 08, 2015, 08:34:24 am »

I must say, that while said statement does give you the authority to enforce areas of discussion, it doesn't allow you to enforce an opinion. So while you can most certainly say that the entire trans-thing is non-debatable, you can't force an unilateral interpretation of what a woman is.

Then again, it doesn't seem like a discussion on that will be calm or cool (let alone progressive), and presumably people will be offended somewhere down the line, so it might be best to sweep the whole thing of the table. 

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9361 on: February 08, 2015, 08:56:52 am »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:24:24 am by penguinofhonor »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9362 on: February 08, 2015, 09:23:59 am »

There are also people born as women who have XY chromosomes, but they have androgen insensitivity syndrome, so they're born and grow up fully physically appearing female. Would you reject a girl in disgust if you find out she has a Y chromosome, but was born as physically female?

Born women with androgen insensitivity syndrome are physically extremely similar to transwomen. So there are people accepted as women their whole lives who have the same genetic make-up as transwomen. There's no physical difference. You could point that "but transwomen don't have a uterus". This is also a moot point. Does a uterus define womanhood? That's offensive, and plainly not true. Women have hysterectomies, and androgen insensitivity women are born without a uterus.

Since there's no apparent physical difference, or even genetic difference between a transwoman and many born women, the difference is entirely within the transphobic person's head.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:26:53 am by Reelya »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9363 on: February 08, 2015, 09:59:57 am »

There are also people born as women who have XY chromosomes, but they have androgen insensitivity syndrome, so they're born and grow up fully physically appearing female. Would you reject a girl in disgust if you find out she has a Y chromosome, but was born as physically female?
Whoa whoa whoa. That's an actual thing? Are they infertile or do they have a 50% chance of having YY kids?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9364 on: February 08, 2015, 10:02:11 am »

I'd argue that I have the right to dislike or not date someone for any goddamn reason I choose, be it gender identity or communist sympathies or eye color.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9365 on: February 08, 2015, 10:02:19 am »

No, they're infertile unfortunately. YY kids wouldn't develop beyond an ovum in any event.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9366 on: February 08, 2015, 10:04:05 am »

link?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9367 on: February 08, 2015, 10:06:49 am »

I'd argue that I have the right to dislike or not date someone for any goddamn reason I choose, be it gender identity or communist sympathies or eye color.
Of course you have the right to think whatever you want. Just pointing out there's nothing objective about it, the only measurable differences are inside your own head.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9368 on: February 08, 2015, 10:09:04 am »

There are also men with xx chromosomes, as well as people with xxy and xxxy setups, as well as other variants, if I remember what I once read on Wikipedia correctly.

Nobody has said you can't, though.

Edit: dammit darvi
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 10:26:05 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9369 on: February 08, 2015, 10:13:10 am »

I'd also argue that it extends to the right to call someone by any title I choose. Transphobia might not be a good thing, but the value of free speech (especially objectionable speech) greatly greatly outweighs demands to avoid bigotry.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9370 on: February 08, 2015, 10:13:22 am »

link?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androgen_insensitivity_syndrome

you can look on youtube for documentaries where they interview the women. That's how I heard about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuXL-3eoB-o

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9371 on: February 08, 2015, 10:22:18 am »

I'd also argue that it extends to the right to call someone by any title I choose. Transphobia might not be a good thing, but the value of free speech (especially objectionable speech) greatly greatly outweighs demands to avoid bigotry.
"free speech" only applies to what a government does to you, nothing else.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9372 on: February 08, 2015, 10:26:10 am »

Legally (under the first, and such)  yes. However, that doesn't change the fact that a good society still protects the right of unfavorable speech. Sure, private individuals do not have the prohibition on restricting speech, but arguing that the same need doesn't apply when it's not purely against the government seems a somewhat silly thing to argue. 

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9373 on: February 08, 2015, 10:33:17 am »

Free speech is there to make sure you can talk against a superior power without repercussions. This doesn't apply here.
Taste my Paci-Fist

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9374 on: February 08, 2015, 10:35:57 am »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:25:03 am by penguinofhonor »
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 759