Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 630 631 [632] 633 634 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247653 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #9465 on: February 10, 2015, 01:38:47 am »

The Parliamentary inquiry was set up following a rise in incidents in July and August last year during fighting between Gaza and Israel.
[...]
Their report said the terms "Hitler" and "Holocaust" were among the top 35 phrases relating to Jews during the conflict.

The hashtags "Hitler" and "genocide" featured with "high frequency", it added. The "Hitler Was Right" hashtag trended worldwide in July 2014.
Wouldn't the #genocide hashtag mostly be about protesting the Israeli military's actions in Gaza?  I really don't think it's acceptable to try and lump stuff like that in with actual anti-semitism, and it makes me deeply suspicious of this proposed law.

Well, yes, and no. Criticism of Israel very often overlap into antisemitism.
Love, scriver~

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9466 on: February 10, 2015, 02:17:32 am »

The Parliamentary inquiry was set up following a rise in incidents in July and August last year during fighting between Gaza and Israel.
[...]
Their report said the terms "Hitler" and "Holocaust" were among the top 35 phrases relating to Jews during the conflict.

The hashtags "Hitler" and "genocide" featured with "high frequency", it added. The "Hitler Was Right" hashtag trended worldwide in July 2014.
Wouldn't the #genocide hashtag mostly be about protesting the Israeli military's actions in Gaza?  I really don't think it's acceptable to try and lump stuff like that in with actual anti-semitism, and it makes me deeply suspicious of this proposed law.

Wild accusations of antisemitism are often made at any slight, perceived or actual, to Israel or Israeli policy. In turn, these wild accusations piss people off and result in confirmation bias. In turn, this anger and bias can turn into actual antisemitism, because Israel is a Jewish country, and is also the only country that regularly accuses its critics of various forms of racism and discrimination because of their disapproval of its actions. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9467 on: February 10, 2015, 07:08:11 am »

[...]

Wild accusations of antisemitism are often made at any slight, perceived or actual, to Israel or Israeli policy. In turn, these wild accusations piss people off and result in confirmation bias. In turn, this anger and bias can turn into actual antisemitism, because Israel is a Jewish country, and is also the only country that regularly accuses its critics of various forms of racism and discrimination because of their disapproval of its actions. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
And also long-standing Arab and Muslim anti-semitism, leftover ressentiment from before the War, the quite frankly horrifying traditional anti-semitism of the left (Don't believe me?)... It's a wee bit more complicated than you make it out to be, especially in Europe.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9468 on: February 10, 2015, 07:12:01 am »

"The left" here being represented by literal terrorists?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9469 on: February 10, 2015, 07:14:31 am »

Have you ever read up on the RAF? They were popular. Sartre even visited them in prison. It was the goddamn seventies, man! The Entebbe situation is just the most drastic example.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9470 on: February 10, 2015, 07:16:36 am »

goddamn british and their terrorist planes

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9471 on: February 10, 2015, 07:18:56 am »

Dutchling confirmed for Nazi revisionist :P
The Bay12 postcard club

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9472 on: February 10, 2015, 07:27:49 am »

I don't know why you cite something done by Palestinians terrorist as an example of the Left's antisemitism...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9473 on: February 10, 2015, 07:59:32 am »

... Because it was a German leftist who did the separating of Jews and non-Jews. The umlaut should be a dead giveaway - Böse isn't exactly a Palestinian name, is it?
Also they apparently called themselves the Commando Che Guevara.
Seriously, go read that article more thoroughly - it only becomes more terrifying.
And a quote from the German article:
Zu einer breiteren Debatte über das Verhältnis der Linken zu Antizionismus und Antisemitismus und zu den Terrororganisationen RAF und Revolutionäre Zellen kam es in Deutschland erst deutlich später.
'A broad debate in Germany about the relationship of the Left to anti-zionism and anti-semitism and to the terrorist organisations RAF and Revolutionary Cells started much later.'
Hehe, and the DDR's relationship to Israel soured after they prevented their citizens from being massacred...
The Bay12 postcard club

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9474 on: February 10, 2015, 08:01:58 am »

Yes clearly a literal violent extremist is a great person to hold up as representative of all people sharing even the vaguest political label with them.

It's like pointing to Timothy McVeigh and using it as evidence that all conservatives love killing innocent people.  Do you really think the actions of some random mad German over 35 years ago is good evidence of the "traditional anti-semitism of the left"?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 08:06:06 am by Leafsnail »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9475 on: February 10, 2015, 08:08:37 am »

Yes clearly a literal violent extremist is a great person to hold up as representative of all people sharing even the vaguest political label with them.
Yes, indeed I am currently calling myself an anti-semite. You're right.

Don't you know that these terrorists had nothing in common with today's terrorists, aka 'brown men with funny accents and weird clothes'? They were Europeans, they'd gone to European universities, they had broad support within the leftist political movement - more broad than you probably imagine. And they were just the tip of the Iceberg - Entebbe is just the most drastic example. The anti-semitism of the left - of the European left, at least - is well-known and accepted phenomenon. These terrorist acts didn't come out of a vacuum, and their supporters didn't just magically disappear after these groups dissolved.
The Bay12 postcard club

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9476 on: February 10, 2015, 08:16:05 am »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:28:03 am by penguinofhonor »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9477 on: February 10, 2015, 08:29:25 am »

If it's a "well-known and accepted phenomenon" then it should be very easy to provide actual evidence of it among leftist leaders (eg elected politicians).  "This relatively obscure terrorist group received some level of support from some leftists (although I will not present any evidence of this support) in spite of their once doing an anti-semitic action" does not remotely provide evidence of what you're suggesting.  I think it's particularly important that you substantiate this claim, since you are using it to try and smear anyone protesting against the ongoing Gaza situation.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9478 on: February 10, 2015, 08:32:50 am »

Yes, indeed I am currently calling myself an anti-semite. You're right.

Don't you know that these terrorists had nothing in common with today's terrorists, aka 'brown men with funny accents and weird clothes'? They were Europeans, they'd gone to European universities, they had broad support within the leftist political movement - more broad than you probably imagine. And they were just the tip of the Iceberg - Entebbe is just the most drastic example. The anti-semitism of the left - of the European left, at least - is well-known and accepted phenomenon. These terrorist acts didn't come out of a vacuum, and their supporters didn't just magically disappear after these groups dissolved.
I know that the left everywhere has certain problems with religion in general and I know that the left before the second world war was antisemitic, but what you are claiming here… I never heard of that before.
There is a huge opposition against Israel in the left, yes, but that doesn't rest on any Jewish identity but rather on how Israel acts as a state. Of course it also allows antisemite sentiments to creep in, but calling them "widespread" among the left is very bold, to say the least.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #9479 on: February 10, 2015, 08:38:51 am »

Anti-semitism is pretty deeply rooted amongst western culture in general, is that what you mean? Unless you're just talkig about opposition to israel, which I don't think is anti-Semitic, at least inherently.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 ... 630 631 [632] 633 634 ... 759