Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244349 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #9555 on: February 24, 2015, 09:18:41 pm »

I would also prefer numerous individual bathrooms to the current arrangement.

As long as they are clean.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9556 on: February 24, 2015, 09:24:58 pm »

There's also just going over to unisex bathrooms of normal (relative to current usage, anyway) size, which apparently work out well enough in some places. I'd probably wager the biggest issue (though not nearly the only one) with multiple individual ones is, well, the plumbing. Piping takes up a pretty hefty amount of space, last I checked, and the more you have to spread things out and make redundant systems the worse everything becomes cost and effort wise. It's a pretty non-negligible logistics and engineering issue.

I mean, you can work through that problem, but if there's a less burdensome solution...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9557 on: February 24, 2015, 09:26:23 pm »

Might be fine for new construction, but it does actually pose a problem in that 99% of necessary bathrooms are already built at any given time, and changing the building standards will cost a lot of effort and money. That's not even getting into retrofitting the existing structures.

Politically it is also a bit of a wash with the Republicans being themselves and the inevitable complaints over the costs. And then you've got psychos already going around and doing things like getting college campuses to abolish only male bathrooms, compounding any movement towards a individualized standard. People don't think about it often, but if you fuck with their bathrooms in a way they don't like they're bound to react strongly. It's one of the largest East-West travel concerns for just that reason.

In conclusion, shit be fucked, yo.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9558 on: February 24, 2015, 09:45:47 pm »

Yeah, agreed.

It's the same with the ADA Americans with Disabilities Act. Existing structures built in a different time. Parking lots. Families used to have one car, now they have two, so parking lots are twice as full. Condos, for example, have limited parking space available and more cars with no room to make more space, while older people who really need assisted living are moving into condos expecting it to essentially be assisted living.... Where are we supposed to put handicapped parking in a tightly overbuilt urban environment? Not fair. Not fixable practically. New construction yes, older buildings.... :(

Shit....

Ultimately, the whole deal is screwed. Many public restrooms are far from clean anyhow as it stands; same with most public spaces. People won't clean up after themselves, won't throw their trash away properly, and frankly don't give a damn. They don't maintain themselves, much less other spaces.

This is why we can't have nice things.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:49:09 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9559 on: February 24, 2015, 09:56:34 pm »

Realistically, we could just replace most existing bathroom signs with ones that indicate the presence or absence of urinals and call it a day.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9560 on: February 24, 2015, 10:12:07 pm »

Why don't we build drone-controlled portaloos that stalk each individual citizen? :P
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9561 on: February 24, 2015, 10:13:36 pm »

Have you ever been in a portaloo in a storm with winds strong enough to knock it over? Now imagine what would happen if its center of gravity had to be high enough to permit robotic legs to carry it up stairs.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9562 on: February 24, 2015, 10:14:48 pm »

All I'm imagining is a Dalek portapotty.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9563 on: February 24, 2015, 10:17:59 pm »

E... liminate?
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9564 on: February 24, 2015, 10:22:49 pm »

No, it's exactly like a normal portapotty, except that it yells EXTERMINATE over and over again whenever there is a living being within 20 feet of it. It doesn't have any weapons, but god does it wish it did.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9565 on: February 24, 2015, 10:36:27 pm »

It vaporizes the shit.
*flush*
EXTERMINATE!
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9566 on: February 24, 2015, 10:39:48 pm »

And every 200th flush, it lets out, in a tinny, digitized voice, a quiet, "kill me..."

I wonder if there's actually a sustainable market for toilets that beg for death, and how one would go about cornering it...
Ask not!
Ask!

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9567 on: February 24, 2015, 10:40:38 pm »

Oh god, what if the doctor uses it
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9568 on: February 24, 2015, 10:47:23 pm »

I wonder if there's actually a sustainable market for toilets that beg for death, and how one would go about cornering it...
One word: Japan.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9569 on: February 24, 2015, 11:21:34 pm »

We're all already gonna die from either the zombie apocalypse or the robot apocalypse. Zombies rot but robots don't so I'm guessing it's the robot apocalypse, and you wanna give them the ultimate reason to hate us?

I don't want to live on this planet anymore. Jesus, we can't even solve this problem we're screwed.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 759