Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247058 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #10395 on: June 27, 2015, 10:17:26 am »

> "Plain english"
> First sentence uses the word "paean"

I'll figure this out when I'm more awake.  I'm not yet convinced that this was constitutionally sound, but I don't grok it yet.  I'm super excited and happy that it happened, I'm just wondering if it was proper or if we "stole" a win (as happens a lot in politics).
(Also PTW)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10396 on: June 27, 2015, 11:34:11 am »

Page 40 onwards are the dissenting judges yelling at clouds.
Seriously.
Quote from: Antonin Scalia
Who ever thought that intimacy and spirituality [whatever that means] were freedoms?" he wrote. "And if intimacy is, one would think that Freedom of Intimacy is abridged rather than expanded by marriage. Ask the nearest hippie.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10397 on: June 27, 2015, 11:35:48 am »

Cue jokes about "Same sex marriage".

(As in, they always have "The same sex" after marriage.)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10398 on: June 27, 2015, 11:40:39 am »

Seriously.
Who ever thought that intimacy and spirituality [whatever that means] were freedoms?" he wrote. "And if intimacy is, one would think that Freedom of Intimacy is abridged rather than expanded by marriage. Ask the nearest hippie.
>not quoting the part where he calls the majority a fortune cookie
The [majority] opinion is couched in a style that is as pretentious as its content is egotistic. If, even as the price to be paid for a fifth vote, I ever joined an opinion for the Court that began: 'The Constitution promises liberty to all within its reach, a liberty that includes certain specific rights that allow persons, within a lawful realm, to define and express their identity,' I would hide my head in a bag. The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie.
This guy and Ginsburg are friends, for the record.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10399 on: June 27, 2015, 12:31:49 pm »

Seriously.
>not quoting the part where he calls the majority a fortune cookie
The [majority] opinion is couched in a style that is as pretentious as its content is egotistic. If, even as the price to be paid for a fifth vote, I ever joined an opinion for the Court that began: 'The Constitution promises liberty to all within its reach, a liberty that includes certain specific rights that allow persons, within a lawful realm, to define and express their identity,' I would hide my head in a bag. The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie.
This guy and Ginsburg are friends, for the record.

AM I reading and interpreting that correctly? Is he actually saying that he does not believe in the equality of all humans?
This is a blank sig.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10400 on: June 27, 2015, 12:37:07 pm »

impossible to know. Perhaps he feels that the concept of the Proletariat is true?

Maybe he feels that legal rulings need to be less "Feely" and more clinical and calculated.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10401 on: June 27, 2015, 12:41:39 pm »

I think he's saying that the constitution does not promise 'liberty'. Taken literally this is perfectly obvious, but apparently Scalia does not know about 'stylistic devices', 'metaphors', and similar liberal hogwash.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10402 on: June 27, 2015, 12:43:36 pm »

That would be the latter then-- Clinical and calculated, all the way down to using language like a weapon-- clean and precise.

Metaphor is neither clean nor precise.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10403 on: June 27, 2015, 12:56:05 pm »

Scalia is an originalist, and it's pretty clear that the founders didn't intend for the Constitution to protect same-sex marriage, and therefore he says it does not.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10404 on: June 27, 2015, 01:13:38 pm »

Founders didn't intend for Constitution to protect black people and women rights, too, so that's an extremely weak argument.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10405 on: June 27, 2015, 01:21:36 pm »

The preamble... kind of does?

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

The key words here are 'in order to' - the constitution is the instrument of securing said blessings, it does not itself promise liberty.

It's bullshit, but he's technically correct.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10406 on: June 27, 2015, 01:23:45 pm »

Founders didn't intend for Constitution to protect black people and women rights, too, so that's an extremely weak argument.
Welcome to originalism, though originalists generally include the original intent of all amendments as well, and Amendment XIV can be reasonably said to be intended to protect black people while Amendment XIX fulfills women's suffrage.
The preamble... kind of does?

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

The key words here are 'in order to' - the constitution is the instrument of securing said blessings, it does not itself promise liberty.

It's bullshit, but he's technically correct.
Only those who believe in a Living Constitution generally give the words of the preamble any legal weight, and even then I'm almost certain there has never been a case that used the preamble as a decision point.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10407 on: June 27, 2015, 01:41:09 pm »

Scalia is an originalist
(when it's convenient for him to be)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10408 on: June 27, 2015, 01:43:09 pm »

Scalia is an originalist
(when it's convenient for him to be)
I've never known him to base his decisions elsewhere. It's not exactly hard to line up originalism and conservatism.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10409 on: June 27, 2015, 01:46:40 pm »

Well, there was his decision on the recent ACA ruling, where he came against it despite it being pretty clear that Congress intended to subsidy the federal-set exchanges as well.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 759