Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247005 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #10725 on: August 15, 2015, 05:41:00 pm »

It does! You've identified an aspect of the state of current US efforts against the drug trade. Congrats, I guess.

Being equitable, most of the other major countries in the world more or less have their thumbs firmly jammed up their arse on the subject, too *shrugs*

E: There are some more direct efforts, for what it's worth, from what I understand. Cooperation between US organizations and the people directly working against cartels down south, stuff like that. It's just relatively little and not even remotely enough to meaningfully impact supply and whatnot. Generally we just kinda' stick our heads in the ground, shit on local folks for relatively minor drug possession and whatnot crimes, and then pat ourselves on the back and call it day, having done little to nothing and probably making the situation worse.

You forgot the massive militarization of the police force and continual eroding of rights. The War on Drugs is Bad with a capital B.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10726 on: August 15, 2015, 05:43:27 pm »

It does! You've identified an aspect of the state of current US efforts against the drug trade. Congrats, I guess.

Being equitable, most of the other major countries in the world more or less have their thumbs firmly jammed up their arse on the subject, too *shrugs*

E: There are some more direct efforts, for what it's worth, from what I understand. Cooperation between US organizations and the people directly working against cartels down south, stuff like that. It's just relatively little and not even remotely enough to meaningfully impact supply and whatnot. Generally we just kinda' stick our heads in the ground, shit on local folks for relatively minor drug possession and whatnot crimes, and then pat ourselves on the back and call it day, having done little to nothing and probably making the situation worse.

You forgot the massive militarization of the police force and continual eroding of rights. The War on Drugs is Bad with a capital B.
you mean bagdhad should be bombed?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10727 on: August 15, 2015, 05:45:30 pm »

Ha, trust me, wasn't forgetting that. Just talking primarily about efforts directly pointed at the cartels themselves (i.e. not exactly much).

Though the militarization and the rights erosion's about as much of an artifact of the war on terror as the war on drugs, insert air quotes as necessary. Interesting how pretty much everything we're actually calling a war nowadays seems to be reaming ourselves about as hard as anything else :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10728 on: August 15, 2015, 05:46:27 pm »

you mean bagdhad should be bombed?
Isn't it already?

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #10729 on: August 15, 2015, 06:22:17 pm »

Interesting how pretty much everything we're actually calling a war nowadays seems to be reaming ourselves about as hard as anything else :-\

War gets attention, necessary attention that puts forth the image of a red-blooded American freedom force instead of the broken contraption that is dealing with two of our greatest internal issues.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10730 on: August 16, 2015, 12:26:07 am »

So I was wondering, is there some kind of conservative equivalent of the Daily Show? I want to see people making fun of  democrats.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10731 on: August 16, 2015, 12:32:38 am »

I mean, if you watch Fox with the right intent it's like that. But a genuine conservative satire show? Not really. It's a one way street, it seems.

Strangely, the closest thing I can recommend is King Of The Hill, since it portrays a fairly conservative lifestyle in a positive light and occasionally uses psycho liberals as plot points.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10732 on: August 16, 2015, 12:42:48 am »

I mean, if you watch Fox with the right intent it's like that. But a genuine conservative satire show? Not really. It's a one way street, it seems.

Strangely, the closest thing I can recommend is King Of The Hill, since it portrays a fairly conservative lifestyle in a positive light and occasionally uses psycho liberals as plot points.

This is the right answer.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10733 on: August 16, 2015, 12:47:37 am »

Problem is the conservative idea of political wit is... Not very witty or entertaining.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10734 on: August 16, 2015, 01:03:09 am »

I dunno, I'm sure you could dig up a lot of liberal saying stupid stuff. It's not like the conservatives have a monopoly on stupidity.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10735 on: August 16, 2015, 01:07:47 am »

It's kind of the same problem the LCS community had in trying to make a Conservative Crime Squad game. It's not that the reverse isn't possible, it's that the reverse isn't funny.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10736 on: August 16, 2015, 01:08:37 am »

I dunno, I always though that was in large part because the LCS community is pretty much Elite Liberal.

C++ laws forcing women in slavery don't make that much more sense than L++ laws mandating abortion, but as liberals one is funnier than the other.

It would be interesting to go to www.jebbush.com or something, hand them over the LCS code and see what they do with it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 01:10:14 am by Sheb »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10737 on: August 16, 2015, 01:22:32 am »

So I was wondering, is there some kind of conservative equivalent of the Daily Show? I want to see people making fun of  democrats.
'Bout the closest you're going to get is probably talk radio, if I had to guess.* Conservative equivalent to the Daily Show would be something off in Limbaugh's direction. I've heard several of 'em doing the 'make fun of (sometimes imaginary) liberals' thing. Biggest difference/issue is that they tend to either put pretty vile spin on it or segue into the whole metaphorical C++ insanity as a different part of the show. Not really pure satire, just a satire segment, or sprinkled intermittently through the rest of it.

*And, to be clear, it would be guessing. I both don't see any TV outside of in passing, and don't listen to the radio except when other people have it on (and often turn it off before I end up breaking something, because that shit gets infuriating), so my exposure is somewhat low.

E: Though good luck tuning in to any of it over in godless commie land. I guess some of them have simulcast or whatever it is nowadays, so you might be able to find stuff online? Gods be with you if you actually do find it and start trawling through, though. That shit can get pretty nasty. Enough bell whistles you could melt them down and equip every bell tower in the old world with new bronze. Or whatever the zog they make those bells out of. And that's assuming they're not just saying to hell with whistling.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 01:37:46 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10738 on: August 16, 2015, 01:37:02 am »

Seriously... if you haven't had much exposure to what reactionary conservatives say/react to as if it's political satire (in the U.S. at least)... it's basically making statements that are completely divorced from reality or non-sequitur logic and laughing smugly as if it's witty purely on the basis that they're clever for being among the oppressed minority that believes it.

I know it's easy to call that out as just a matter of perspective, but liberal satire at least makes actual jokes.  As in stuff that you could appreciate as witty content, even if you don't agree with it.  It's not just "This is funny because I'm calling people I disagree with stupid."  I'm sure conservatives could do the same, but something about their culture/mentality just doesn't seem apt to produce it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10739 on: August 16, 2015, 02:47:26 am »

Considering Bay12 might as well have L+ engraved over the doorway, I'd say that it does come at least partway down to perspective. You don't find it funny because you disagree with it, and it makes you uncomfortable. Conservatives tend to dislike The Daily Show for that reason. After all, to the people he tends to target (except Bill O'Reilly, I'm not sure what's going on there) John Stewart is just being a dick. Really though the quality doesn't seem to be up to par. Maybe it's because the networks with conservative political leaning don't generally do entertainment (CBS, CNN) or keep the two separate (FOX.) It's just down to AM radio kooks that basically nobody would be listening to anyway.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 02:49:09 am by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 759